Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • American classic wheelsets
  • jonnyrockymountain

Anyone use these?
    What are your thoughts on hubs,rims and build quality

Nipper99
    Free Member

I have a pair of the 29inch All Mountain wheels on my Gryphon and cant fault them. Well built reliable fast rolling wheelset.

oldman123
    Free Member

A set of 26″ MTB Tubeless here! Awesome wheels, quick to engage,light, solid reliability in the 18 months I’ve had them. In fact I haven’t actually had to even true them yet!

ruscle
    Free Member

Rims are made of cheese, the rest is ok.

smg13
    Free Member

26″ here and no probs been ragged as well so I recomend

teasel
    Free Member

Rims are made of cheese

Strange, I just unboxed a new set and that’s one hell of an odourless variety.

I’ve seen you write this before – what do you base your opinion on…?

Kryton57

oldman123 – Member
    A set of 26″ MTB Tubeless here! Awesome wheels, quick to engage,light, solid reliability in the 18 months I’ve had them. In fact I haven’t actually had to even true them yet!

What he said.

Nobby

oldman123 – Member

This also.

ruscle
    Free Member

teasel – Member
    Rims are made of cheese
    Strange, I just unboxed a new set and that’s one hell of an odourless variety.

I’ve seen you write this before – what do you base your opinion on…?

Never owned them myself but have 2 friends which have. Both had the rims fold in on the same trails in numerous places running pressures identical to mine. Rims were replaced and same thing kept happening they now run Flow rims with no issues. I did ding my rims on same trails but only with a very small fold, their rims just seemed to cave in and give up. 1 of their rims got a puncture hole in the side as well which I have never seen. The rest of the wheels are good and they are light.

Also glad I made an impression and I’m on your mind teasel! 🙄

ratherbeintobago

Who stocks American Classic in the UK? I’ve got the (possibly mistaken) impression their stiff isn’t that easy to source.

Andy

jonnyrockymountain

Cheers guys
    Also we’re are spares available from ie bearings etc for hubs?

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Bearings are tiny, so last about 15 minutes…

onandon
    Free Member

I have 4 sets , the oldest being 5 years old and the bearings are fine.
    Rims are solid and so far have been a far better that the sets of SLRs I ran previously.

No issues getting parts, American classic are a great company to deal with, Just riding along will also obtain parts if needed.

Nobby

jonny rocky mountain – Member
    Cheers guys
    Also we’re are spares available from ie bearings etc for hubs?

AC wheelsets are imported by Eurobike & any of their DEALERS should be able to assist.

teasel
    Free Member

Also glad I made an impression and I’m on your mind teasel!

Okay, I’ll bite but only for the sake of clarity, you understand.

When I write that you’ve previously made a similar comment I actually mean very similar if not identical. The reason you ‘made an impression’ was due the fact I had ordered and was waiting for a delivery of said wheels, although at that time and this you don’t actually stipulate what particular rims you’re referring to. As someone who has just purchased a pair I’m interested in helpful opinions, obviously.

The reason I’ve addressed your comment this time is because it doesn’t actually provide any helpful answer, just a totally crap and somewhat hackneyed term. Your second post is much more comprehensive and more useful overall, aside from the last line, which, let’s face it, you’ve added because I challenged your opinion. The addition of the emoticon merely enhances your childish reaction.

Totally pointless, just like your original post.

I’ll let you know how I get on once I’ve built-up the bike…

flap_jack
    Free Member

rear hub on my road bike. poor waterproofing on non-drive side means that bearing wears quick, the others are fine. bearings easy to source as they’re a standard size, and easy to replace. v light and despite the above I like it as it made a wheel that was easy to build and remained true (dish about same on both sides which I like).

ruscle
    Free Member

teasel,

They had the original 26″ mtb wheels weighing 1520g

As stated before the most part of the wheels are good, the hubs are easy to strip and clean and they run well.

Nothing wrong with being childish, I’m envious of my daughter as she looks like she is always having fun and kids are generally always smiling and laughing, unlike a lot of adults which on the most part seem to take themselves way to seriously and don’t smile much or laugh a lot…

teasel
    Free Member

You’re mistaking childish with childlike; very different attitudes.

And thanks for the extra info – same model as I have sat next to me as I type… 🙂

ruscle
    Free Member

Its all a mind set and an enjoyment of life and the now

They trashed the rims ploughing through rock gardens and drops into river/stream crossings so big tyres or a little more finesse will have them running fine for a long time

dingabell
    Free Member

I got mine from Stif cycles and Just Riding Along do all the spares. Really happy with my 26 inch mtb ones.

jonnyrockymountain

Anymore comments
    Also anyone know where the cheapest place to buy at the moment?

Nipper99
    Free Member

you didn’t say whether you were after 26 or 29.

footflaps

I’ve had a couple of sets of MTB-26, which I used to use for XC racing. Quality was good and no problems with hubs (even though they have tiny bearings and not much obvious sealing). Think I bought mine from CRC years ago.

onandon
    Free Member

Emailed you regarding a set I’m selling soon.
    Cheers

Timmo
    Free Member

ive had mine for 2 years this january, 26″ mtb tubeless, theyve been absolutely Faultless, i weigh 100kg pre back pack etc. and am generallyu quite a heavy rider ont he bike, the wheels are on my Soul, Super nice rolling, look Great, and light, Not had to do anything to mine at all since fitting, bearings are readily avaialable but in the time ive had mine through a lot of wet muddy rides over the winter months, had no issues with them,
    would recommend them,
    discountcyclesdirect had some for £300 a while back, not sure if they still have, (occasionally turn up on ebay for similar money, last few pairs have gone for 225-250 on there used)

charliedontsurf

Sold loads through my shop.
    Only one single issue which was fixed under warranty with no troubles. A slightly bent flange on a pre-built wheel.
    I use them on my road bike, very nice.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘American classic wheelsets’ is closed to new replies.