Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • Ambulances at Swinley last night….
  • batfink
    Free Member

An ambulance, first response paramedic and tho warden jeeps were parked at the bottom of the Labryninth at about 8……

is everybody ok?

rewski
    Free Member

I posted too, but not heard. Labyrinth is a bit sketchy at high speed at the mo, exposed roots and a lot of standing water, go easy people.

poolly

We were told by another rider that someone had broken both wrists on the labyrinth, but that was before the ambulances got there. That was just after we’d ridden it but we didn’t see anyone by the trailside. First ambulance came up the wall as we got back to the top. It must have been about 7.15.

Hope the guy is OK. It got in my head a bit and I stacked shortly afterwards. Probably back there tomorrow night though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Probably not PC to make fun when someone’s buggered both their arms (broke my left arm before christmas and that sucked enough!), but,

Labyrinth is a bit sketchy at high speed at the mo, exposed roots and a lot of standing water, go easy people.

are these as bad as the life threatening braking bumps at Cannock? It’s a trail, it’s going to have roots/rocks/mud/puddles, if it didn’t I’d probably not bother riding it!

rewski
    Free Member

It’s a trail, it’s going to have roots/rocks/mud/puddles

of course, I can’t comment on Cannock, but Labyrinth isn’t in it’s usual condition, it’s a dangerous sport, a bit of knowledge can prevent a serious accident.

theotherjonv

Labyrinth isn’t in it’s usual condition,

the trail pixies can’t get in there to do enough maintenance – have had to cancel two maintenance sessions recently because of weather. Yet people continue to ride them in spite of the obvious deterioration in the surfaces.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

, it’s a dangerous sport, a bit of knowledge can prevent a serious accident.

No its not Its neither dangerous or a sport. (unless you race)

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

My broken foot and torn knee ligaments say there is an ellement of danger to this non competative pastime!

RobHilton
    Free Member

Incorrect pedant is incorrect.

And his sentence structure is just awful :mrgreen:

soobalias
    Free Member

a year ago i would have said that you dont need to call an ambulance for a broken wrist.

warton
    Free Member

The guy with two broken wrists may disagree.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I broke my fibula and 2 bones in my ankle doing about 5mph (front wheel, icy log interface) whilst not racing….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Suggest you look up sport and dangerous on wiki/dictionary.com/OED then.

from dictionary.com

Sport:
    1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
    2. a particular form of this, especially in the out of doors.
    3. diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.
    4. jest; fun; mirth; pleasantry: What he said in sport was taken seriously.
    5. mockery; ridicule; derision: They made sport of him.

1) tick, often competative, but doesn’t have to be
    2) not much indoor mtb, tick
    3) tick, even in the rain covered in midges its pleasent, and wadeing through an environmentlay sensitive scottish bog certainly passes a lot of time
    4) STW.

Dangerous:
    1. full of danger or risk; causing danger; perilous; risky; hazardous; unsafe.
    2. able or likely to cause physical injury: a dangerous criminal.

1) errrr, see thred title
    2) eg. a dangerous sport.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Potentially/sometimes dangerous. (Perhaps knowing this (as in climbing) is what makes the actual danger less?).

Potentially/sometimes a sport. No?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bollox

A sport needs a scoring sytem and the amount of injuries compared tot eh particiapnts is very low.

therefore it is neither dangerous nor a sport – its a pastime. Like hillwalking or pony trekking

I know for the dull middleaged IT bods on here it may seem dangerous and exciting and it feels good to partake of an extreme and dangerous sport but its riding bikes in a controlled environment FFS

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

[squares upto TJ]

ARE YOU CALLING ME A MINCER WHO DOESNT PUT ANY EFFORT IN

[/squares upto TJ]

*storms out of thread with a copy of MBR to go ride a DH bike on a towpath*

rewski
    Free Member

What you mean you don’t have a scoring system, how do work out who buys the first round? 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

edit: delete, it really isnt worth it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Racing is a sport – no question of that. If there is no scoring system its not a sport

Dangerous – not from the dictionary definitions above

Dangerous:
    1. full of danger or risk; causing danger; perilous; risky; hazardous; unsafe.
    2. able or likely to cause physical injury: a dangerous criminal.

Come off it its a small % chance of injury.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

So TJ, what do you do if someone you’re riding with falls off and injures themselves? Give them a pep talk about how non-dangerous biking is whilst pointing out the bone poking out through their calf is just a scratch?

Anyway – it doesn’t really matter. I only checked the thread to see if someone had drowned whilst riding Swinley.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Racing is a sport – no question of that. If there is no scoring system its not a sport

Rubbish.
    GAMES have scoring systems. Not sports. You PLAY games.
    Hunting, shooting, fishing. All true sports. No scoring involved. Some would say that they are the ONLY true sports, too.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Of course you can get injured. You can get injured doing DIY or mountaineering or fishing – all of which have far higher injury rates than cycling

Just because you can get injured does not mean it is dangerous. Unless you believe getting out of bed is dangerous.

nacho
    Free Member

So if I race my mates when we are out does it turn into a sport? Of course it’s a sport – we ahve a world cup and it’s at this years Olympics.
    Not dangerous? TJ I often agree with you but in this instance you are talking out of your **** (or bored / trolling). Of course it’s dangerous. We may not ride like Steve Peat, Danny Hart etc but I bet most people on here have sustained injuries from their chosen pastime/sport? And if I didn’t wear a helmet I would have previously sustained some pretty serious injuries so there 😈 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

PP – so football is not a sport then? Nor track racing?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Would yo can pony trekking a dangerous sport? far more folk get hurt doing that – and swimming – far more dangerous

DrRSwank
    Free Member

So at the weekend I did a ride that would agree with TJ. A social bimble around Derbyshire.

Next Sunday I do a ride that doesn’t agree with TJ. An enduro race in Swinley where I will be measured against other riders.

However, I still intend on riding at a social bimble pace. So perhaps the definition isn’t about what you do, it’s about how you ride it.

As for being dangerous – I guess it’s a matter of perception. Some people will think biking is dangerous, some will think going on a roof is dangerous……

philconsequence
    Free Member

*makes mental note to avoid swinley next sunday*

(not to avoid the good doctor, but i don’t really like being limited by taped off sections)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

TJ, you’re very good at quoting stuff to prove a point. Your point. So I’m gonna use your quote against you

2. able or likely to cause physical injury

ABLE to. ABLE. Would you deny cycling is UNABLE to cause injury?
    Comparing it to getting out of bed changes NOTHING about cycling does it?

Weather one regards the level, severity or likelihood of injury to constitute their personal view on DANGER is neither here nor there, but I’d be willing to bet most riders in STW have had an injury from cycling. Cuts, bruises, pulled muscles etc. And I’d bet the same that, as a group, we incurr more such injuries than those that only get out of bed.
    There is no denying that MTBing places the person in more danger. None at all.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

[pops back into thread to pick up the audi’s keys]

[trips over on the way out and bangs head]

[decides it’s quite nice being knocked out as no one can tell you you don’t know if the helmet would have saved your life or not]

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PP – so football is not a sport then? Nor track racing?

That’s not what I said, is it? Or what I think for that matter.

But football is a game. One PLAYS it.

PS – I’m good at this argument. Take care young man….. 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

*makes mental note to avoid swinley next sunday*

I’m in the area next weekend, fancy a non sporting non dangerous bimble?

batfink
    Free Member

This is all very interesting….. but does anyone know what happened to that chap at Swinley? If it was indeed two broken wrists – I presume he hit a tree, or a badger

cinnamon_girl

It isn’t dangerous and it isn’t a sport which is precisely why I ride … the way I do.

HTH

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

TJ taking part in an extreme sport

Tandem leaving Fealar Lodge by paul.newman4279, on Flickr

philconsequence
    Free Member

no wonder you don’t consider it dangerous or a sport if that’s the kinda stuff you ride TJ 😆

TINAS…. swinley is a complete mudfest at the moment…. its AMAZING FUN 😀 i could be up for such an adventure, will need to check with mrsconsequence i’m not forgetting weekend plans i agreed to by accident when not really paying attention 😈

its what sniggleshhpeedz were invented for. MEDICAL FACT!

funny how a thread asking after the wellbeing of a fellow rider has turned into TJ trolling everyone, i say funny… i mean sad.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Phil – probably far more dangerous than most – thats a long long way from a road and quite high and exposed. there is danger and there is danger 🙂

Mind you getting a kicking from MrsTJ if I crash is probably the most danger I am in

palookah
    Free Member

Genuine hilarity at the image of middle-aged biffers cycling around car parks arguing over the dictionary definition of dangerous whilst they partake in their ‘sport’.

Here’s a dangerous sport: Commuting by bike every day contesting Strava segments.

It has everything; far more dangerous and frequent than bimbling around on a MLC full-boinger and far more competitive as you bust a lung to grab the KOM you’ve had your eye on 😉

philconsequence
    Free Member

TJ, why not start a separate thread to discuss if it’s a sport or not and leave this one as a swinjury thread?

wwaswas

Can we have a row in this thread about whether there should be a separate thread or not?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Ambulances at Swinley last night….’ is closed to new replies.