Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Ambergate woods – Derbyshire
  • debasergizmo
    Free Member

Hello,

I recently went to Ambergate Woods in Derbyshire and came across all those signs that ask you not to cycle due to it being are area of scientific research.

What are the actual laws regarding this? Can you be fined? Also, is it even worth riding in those woods due to this? Are there still good trails there not covered by the SSSI?

Cheers

the-muffin-man

LOL – it may as well be a marked trail centre now with the amount of riders in there every weekend! 🙂

And it seems to be getting more popular.

I don’t ride much now and not been up to the top of the woods for a while but there where plenty of hand-built sections near Betty Kenny’s Tree area.

The vast majority of riders stick to the existing trails which are well-trodden by walkers so a few wheels don’t cause much extra damage.

chevychase

It’s ancient woodland – and we haven’t got much of it left.

The council is being reasonable – they don’t mind you building trails in the coniferous forest but they won’t let you build trails in the deciduous ancient woodland – because it’s a fragile ecosystem.

It’s a nice wood to ride in, just be mindful of that and all is good 🙂

debasergizmo
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I found it very confusing trying to understand which trails were off limits to be honest. It was my first time cycling there since the 90s though so I have a lot more exploring to do. Just don’t want to upset anyone.

the-muffin-man

Basically there’s a pine section which looks just like any other managed forest and the old section which is mixed woodland.

The pine section (Betty Kenny Tree) is where all the custom built trails are. The old woodland area (Shining Cliff, near the YHA) if off limits for trail building, but people still ride in here. Stick to existing paths and you’ll be fine.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.0685244,-1.500417,2622m/data=!3m1!1e3

al2000

Betty Kenny tree end has been clearfelled, and all the trails above the fireroad (ie, to the right as you climb) have been completely trashed. There are still some nice trails to the left of the fireroad, although not sure for how much longer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Ambergate woods – Derbyshire’ is closed to new replies.