Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Amazon Prime UI is so shockingly crap.
  • jekkyl

Honestly it’s giving me the **** rage.
    Try to browse by movie genre…it’s not possible! You have to scroll down and hope the genre you want shows up.

Try to browse without any rent/buy options!? It’s not possible. Understand this Amazon I will never ever ever rent or buy anything on prime. I pay for the **** service, I just want to browse the content I’ve already paid for.
    See the Netflix interface? Do it like that. Honestly…total shit.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, it’s dreadful.

avdave2

Agreed, it’s crap

johnners
    Free Member

Right with you until you said to do it like Netflix. No. That’s crap too. And you can actually make Amazon Prime show only Prime content, but maybe not on all implementations of the app. On a web browser choose the category “Included with Prime”. It’s also an option on my Roku, but I can’t readily see how to do it on the XBox.

Caher

Yep constant upselling. You’ve paid for prime but they want you to also purchase “channels” and films.

maccruiskeen

You should do what I do – pay for prime but never use it. 🙂 Had prime for at least a couple of years and I’ve never even looked to see what’s available to watch.

jekkyl

I access it through the playstation. And netflix is good. You can browse by genre including new releases,,, which is exactly what I want and they have no paid for content.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I search on the app on my phone, then watch what I found on the TV/pc

squirrelking
    Free Member

Netflix genres are the same made up crap as Amazon, both are as bad as each other. One straight sci-fi genre? No, that would be too easy.

Also algorithms can go fornicate themselves, there is stuff we literally never knew was on Netflix despite it being there for years until we spotted it on another account.

footflaps

To be fair Netflix is utter shite, every time we log in to watch the next episode of whatever series we’re on, you have to scroll right down to find it. It should really open with ‘watch next episode’ at the top, which it used to ages ago.

As for Amazon, for a ‘big data company’ they seen to know f’all about me and have no clue about up selling; eg my book recommendations are 90% books I’ve already bought from them; like I’m going to buy a second copy? Big data, shite algorithms.

mashr

Go (try) and watch something on Redbull TV, Amazon will seem fantastic when you go back!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Frankly Amazon is terrible generally, so many products and services all via the same site just makes for a mess.

I have a feeling that when Streaming goes fully mainstream soon with Disney and Apple launching theirs Prime might not make it, the bad UI is one thing, but the content might kill it. The Grand Tour has been cancelled / greatly reduced depending on who you ask and they have very few big banger exclusives. Apple is going to launch a follow up to Band of Brothers, Disney has the Star Wars thing, Netflix has loads, but I’m struggling to think of any really great Prime exclusives.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Go (try) and watch something on Redbull TV, Amazon will seem fantastic when you go back!

Oh yeah it’s even worse than NowTV, it does have the added attraction of being free though.

molgrips
    Free Member

Try to browse without any rent/buy options!? It’s not possible

There is a Movies on Prime and a TV on prime section.

The only thing that really bugs me about Prime Video is the fact that there’s only one account, you don’t separate the kids stuff from grownup stuff.

squirrelking
    Free Member

To be fair Netflix is utter shite, every time we log in to watch the next episode of whatever series we’re on, you have to scroll right down to find it. It should really open with ‘watch next episode’ at the top, which it used to ages ago.

Counter intuitive but scroll up, My list should be on the row above the default.

Nope, me neither.

Also, it always starts you on the latest series rather than where you left off, managed to miss an entire season and another half somewhere of Black Mirror without realising. On the upside we had a season and a half of black mirror to watch so…

chakaping
    Free Member

Bit of a tangent here, but 20-odd years ago I was speaking to a senior newspaper exec about “convergence” of internet services & devices. eg. no need for separate computer, TV etc. He thought it might be 10 years tops.

I know tablets have kind-of done that, but I’m amazed there’s still no common vehicle for all these competing services.

What we really need is a common, really well-excecuted, interface that Netflix, Prime, etc. could feed in to – making it as simple as switching channels on the TV.

Yes Netflix is way ahead of Prime, but it still grates that I can’t just scroll through a text list of movies.

Sky TV UI was much more user-friendly TBH.

squirrelking
    Free Member

There is no reason why you can’t do that other than for some odd reason they don’t want you to be able to do that. For the life of me I can’t figure out why you need to effectively guess at what content they have rather than just looking at an index.

Also annoying is not knowing what is about to be taken away.

Credit where it’s due, Microsoft have that utterly covered in Gamepass, you can look at literally everything in a grid format rather than a series of unique but often overlapping scroll bars with no human thought put into them. And they tell you what’s due to be lost in the next month.

chakaping
    Free Member

I hear you, and don’t get me started on the categories Netflix dreams up, eg. “Socially aware European comedy-dramas featuring a strong female lead”.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Prime is here to stay. They have made some great content, not as prolific a studio as Netflix, but it is there. And they are making the Lord of the Rings series which cost a fortune to secure and make…

None of them have good UI’s so I find using the app to find content and then watch on TV, as others have mentioned, is best. But. Compared to iplayer, Itv Hub, more 4, Prime & Netflix are an absolute dream. iPlayer is appallingly Unintuitive.

northernsoul

The only thing that really bugs me about Prime Video is the fact that there’s only one account, you don’t separate the kids stuff from grownup stuff.

Yes, iPlayer is better at this. Quite often I browse stuff on the prime video app (an easier interface to use) and add stuff I like to my watchlist, then pick it up again on the TV.

CountZero

As for Amazon, for a ‘big data company’ they seen to know f’all about me and have no clue about up selling; eg my book recommendations are 90% books I’ve already bought from them; like I’m going to buy a second copy? Big data, shite algorithms.

Same with music – thanks for showing me more of what I’ve already got, or stuff that’s just the same; I can find all that myself!

mashr

Apple is going to launch a follow up to Band of Brothers

On one hand – tell me more! On the other…. it finished at the end of the war, so I’m slightly concerned

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Mashr, I think he means another telling of that war by the same Spielberg/Hanks team; Band of Brothers, The Pacific, whatever the new one will be. Tom Hanks has said a few years back that it was in the works. Although I’m sure HBO would back it, though I could be wrong.

batfink
    Free Member

I think he means another telling of that war by the same Spielberg/Hanks team; Band of Brothers, The Pacific, whatever the new one will be. Tom Hanks has said a few years back that it was in the works

You mean this one?

The pacific

Aired in 2010….

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Depends what device on the interface. I browse prime on my phone and add stuff to my watchlist so it appears on my TV easily. Also browse via IMDB.com and add it via that too (links to prime).

Also one more recent TV has a much better interface. The old one is shockingly bad.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Autoplay on Netflix winds me up while browsing. If i want a trailer I’ll press “play trailer”!

FuzzyWuzzy

Yep, the Prime interface is atrocious – they even make it hard to find the UHD version of stuff (things like the Grand Tour seem to default to the HD version being shown as the promoted one, you need to scroll down and find it in the UHD section). Some good content but given the deep pockets Amazon has it’s all a bit embarrassing really.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Amazon Prime UI is so shockingly crap.’ is closed to new replies.