Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Amazon order scam
  • granny_ring

Got a couple of emails few days ago for 2 ‘orders’ that I haven’t ordered, didn’t click on any of the links on the emails but logged into my Amazon account and it’s showing no orders.

Earlier on this afternoon one of them was delivered, unfortunately I was expecting a legit delivery today so thought it was that so I accepted it. It’s tatt and I don’t want it so it’ll go in the bin.

So, guessing they have got my personal info from somewhere and my credit card has been debited 99p so guess I need to cancel that too?

Anyone else had this?

Any advice….cheers

leffeboy

Any advice….cheers

If its only 99p it’s a test of your card so they can either abuse it or sell the details on. I  would cancel now

Edit: actually with Amazon it is technically possible to have two accounts with the same email but two different passwords. Check that you have checked the correct account

reluctantjumper

Contact Amazon with the ref number on the package, they can then trace which account it was ordered from.

Could be someone trying to legitimise an account with your stolen details, a few small purchases to make it look normal then they change the delivery address to a locker nearby, order some expensive stuff and collect it all before you notice. Have heard of it happening a few times but not for a while.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andrewreay

Scam round here is an order for something pricey to your address, that is delivered to you by a legit delivery driver. If you don’t refuse it then…

Five minutes later a uniformed ‘courier’ rings the bell to say there’s been a mistake and they need to take the item that was ‘mis-delivered’.

You hand over the parcel and they disappear with the phone / laptop that you have paid for.

Herts DPD scam

The 99p order may be stage one of that scam.

But on Amazon, they may be placing orders in your name in order to give 5* feedback on the tat that is delivered. That feedback can be quite valuable.

Either way, change your Amazon password and switch on 2 factor auth.

granny_ring

Cheers.
    Checked with credit card and I have 2 pending transactions on there from Amazon market place…
    Trying to find on the App on how to contact them….

granny_ring

How the f do I contact Amazon…can’t see on the laptop or on the app how to…

reluctantjumper

0800 279 7234 is the number I’ve used before when the wrong item was delivered.

granny_ring

Cheers I’ll try them in the morning. Cancelled card and sorted out the 2 step auth cheers for that andrewreay

granny_ring

Bugger, you can’t call them at the mo. Back to the drawing board…

boomerlives
    Free Member

Five minutes later a uniformed ‘courier’ rings the bell to say there’s been a mistake and they need to take the item that was ‘mis-delivered’.

That’s a crap scam if you don’t answer the door, or go out, or won’t hand it over.

If it has your name on it, why would you hand it over? I certainly wouldn’t.

Jamze

Bugger, you can’t call them at the mo. Back to the drawing board…

The chat option here eventually gets through to a real person IME.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/contact-us

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

The chat option here eventually gets through to a real person IME

I’ve had several experiences of amazon customer service chat for one reason or another. Can be a bit slow but I’ve always had a positive outcome.

granny_ring

Yeah cheers, managed to have online chat and explained what has happened. Was told a person with more experience would email, which they did.
    It would be nice if they did listen to the facts tho for crying out loud……

granny_ring

But on Amazon, they may be placing orders in your name in order to give 5* feedback on the tat that is delivered. That feedback can be quite valuable.

Funnily enough, just received two emails from Amazon with me aparently giving both items 5* reviews.

jsync

Over the last week I have received emails about reviews i have left for products I haven’t purchased. No sign of it on the orders so i’ve changed passwords.

leffeboy

. No sign of it on the orders so i’ve changed passwords.

This sounds crazy but is it possible you created an Amazon account with the same email address but a different password some time ago that you haveforgotten? They may have used that instead.  Don’t know why amazon allow this but it is a thing

moraycup

Just happened to me as well. Got email notifications through for 3 orders which I had not placed – replacement iphone screen, generic smart watch. Initially assumed the emails were phishing fakes but then first order was delivered.
    Just got an email giving details about a 5* review I had given for one of the orders that I had yet to be delivered.
    Account security details now changed and amazon web chat eventually got details passed onto their fraud department but havn’t heard anything other than confirmation that password has been reset.
    Seems to be about fake product reviews.

JustRide
    Free Member

Had this as well and have added 2 step authentication to help stop it happening again. Email about purchases but nothing was showing in open orders but there was another folder in open orders which was where I found the items that I hadn’t ordered. That were due to be delivered to my address which I thought was odd but as described above I guess this was just the first part of the scam. Used online chat to cancel the orders with amazon and got money back

granny_ring

The online chat is a wind up, they don’t seem to be listening. I’ve explained that as both items have been delivered CC company won’t refund the money and that Amazon will have to once I return the items.
    Will leave it a couple of days to see if the penny has dropped.

jsync

Weird, another review today, also no charge or sign of order. This is after changing passwords too….

@leffeboy
    nope, definitely only 1 account

leffeboy

bummer. Is it coming from .com rather than .co.uk?

cinnamon_girl

More ‘A’ weirdness! Received a delivery this morning in a Prime box with name and address details being correct except I hadn’t ordered anything from them. Opened box and inside was an Amazon slip saying we hope your enjoy your gift. Double checked my account and no outstanding orders, checked with my cc provider and nothing showing there. Managed to get in contact via their Chat, eventually getting a live person and gave them the order number on the slip. They couldn’t understand it either.

The odd thing is that what they’ve sent I do actually have on order from elsewhere. Go figure!

andrewreay

cinnamon_girl

Weird. Maybe Amazon also fulfill some orders of the third party that you bought from and somehow your order ended up in the Amazon pile, rather than their own.

One thing for those that received unrequested items… Can you go please find those items on the Amazon website and leave as many scathing one star reviews as possible? Not just about the unrequested order, but also about how crap the product is?

Hopefully this will achieve the opposite of their desired outcome and put them off trying this on. If you are in possession of the tat, then I don’t see a problem with you expressing an opinion about it.

cinnamon_girl

Weird. Maybe Amazon also fulfill some orders of the third party that you bought from and somehow your order ended up in the Amazon pile, rather than their own.

Not in this case, no. And I’ve literally just rejected a random huge parcel with my address but not my name.

Weird.

ajantom

Think this has just happened to me.
    Received a parcel this morning, my name and address on it, no order slip inside, and it contains a girls age 10-12 Bolero top!

Checked Amazon and linked Gmail account but nothing showing order-wise on either. Weird!
    Nothing showing on my linked visa debit card either.

xora

The odd thing is that what they’ve sent I do actually have on order from elsewhere. Go figure!

Thats pretty common though, lots of stores use Amazon as their fulfilment and you get the stuff primed but it comes from the stores account not yours.

I’ve had loads of parcels like that off ebay and other web stores!

FB-ATB

We’ve had a few deliveries like this- correct address but nothing on history, no payment. One theory is that places you’ve ordered stuff from create a dummy account in your name but with an email addy they control. They ship product, know when it’s been delivered and then can leave positive feedback in your name.

Del

Received a parcel this morning, my name and address on it, no order slip inside, and it contains a girls age 10-12 Bolero top!

you’re welcome.

ajantom

you’re welcome.

Cheers Del. It’s a bit tight, but I’ll wear it out on our next date 😘

2orangey4crows

Just had a weird Amazon thing myself – got an email saying I’d changed my email address. Thought I’d have a quick check and sure enough account email and password changed. Can’t get hold of customer services, and password reset obviously sends it to the new email that the scammers have set up. Tried using phone number to reset password, but that now goes to another email address…

So, I just clicked and clicked on the password reset so hopefully their inbox is inundated.

But… I can still see parts of my account on my phone app. I can see the basket (some Apple EarPods and some paper bags(!?), which I deleted) and I can see a new delivery address that’s been added.

Any ideas what to do next?

andrewreay

I’d call your card provider(s) now – any cards saved in your Amazon account.

That’s the weakness of 1-click ordering. The payment method is saved with the account.

Definitely call them asap. Those ear pods will be charged to your saved payment card.

granny_ring

One thing for those that received unrequested items… Can you go please find those items on the Amazon website and leave as many scathing one star reviews as possible? Not just about the unrequested order, but also about how crap the product is?

Good idea, but I’ve aparently aleady left 2 5* reviews for the 2 scam orders so not sure I can leave anymore?
    I had my third online help chat with them yesterday and hoping that they fully understood the situation I’m in so we’ll see what happens…

It appears then you lot have been getting freebies and I’m paying for my tatt that’s turning up. 🙂

2orangey4crows

Ta, good call andrewreay – cards all cancelled. No purchases yet.

Now, is the address they added legit? I mean, it’s a real address, but is it the scammers address? Surely that just gives them away?

andrewreay

Address will be real.

But they could intercept the delivery as it arrives e.g. flats with an entry system. Or it could be a crack house with no real resident and the scammers just turn up at the time of delivery, helpfully guided by Amazon delivery tracking. Or worse, an address where a vulnerable resident is being exploited.

There’s very little chance that the scammers actually reside at the address, so I wouldn;t recommend retirbution 😉

2orangey4crows

andrewreay I’m far too weedy for retribution!

So, nothing of value on any cards – they’d subscribed to Prime, which might’ve been a way to test if the card was working apparently.

Also had a login attempt on Deliveroo too, so they’re obviously now trawling various stuff with my email and password. Though still can’t understand how they got the password in the first place – and Amazon didn’t know.

Busy night, changing all my passwords!

deadslow

So here’s my story to add to the weirdness. Yesterday an Amazon parcel arrived, no packing note but was in my name and address on it. It contained a 3 pack of exfoliating foot masks, a phone case for Samsung phone, magnetic false eyelashes and a dark spot cover up cream! I immediately contacted Amazon chat and they confirmed that this was not ordered through my account, no charge had been made to me and that I was free to dispose , use or gift the items as I saw fit! Needless to say I changed my password and two factor authentication worked well asking for text confirmation before it would allow PW change. Most of these items are listed at over £10 on the website and cannot figure out why this will be sent to me or how someone is profiting from this?

FB-ATB

Deadslow- so the sellers can put 5* reviews for “your” purchase and drive sales. Check the items you’ve received and see if there are any recent reviews in your name.

Superficial
    Free Member

@2Orangey4Crows

https://haveibeenpwned.com

See if they have your email address listed. Mine has apparently been subject to 13 different companies data breaches over the years. BITD I used the same password for many sites. I’m not daft enough to do that now.

If that sounds familiar to anyone reading this – change your passwords now!

2orangey4crows

Thanks Superficial, useful resource

6 breaches for me

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for that link Superficial. One breach but clearly one too many.

And I’ve literally just rejected a random huge parcel with my address but not my name.

Just to be clear, this isn’t directly from ‘A’. Same parcel delivered by a different courier and again rejected by me. Not my name although address is correct, another label had been stuck on top this time. Haven’t a clue who it was from.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Amazon order scam’ is closed to new replies.