Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Amazon Kindle reliability – EU Warranty advice
  • Lazgoat
    Free Member

My sister had been through three Keyboard 3G Kindles in as many years. The first was damaged accidentally by her son so she bought another one. 14 months later the screen died. Amazon said, sorry it’s out of warranty. She bought another one.

Guess what? 19 months later, the screen has died again. Amazon have stated again, sorry it’s out of warranty but here are the certified refurbished ones and here’s where you can buy extended warranty.

She’s not happy to say the least.

Does anyone have any good info on the EU directive that gives buyers 2 years warranty on goods purchased in the EU? And has anyone managed to get an item replaced outside of the 12 month Amazon Warranty?

neninja
    Free Member

Mine developed a screen fault 3 weeks after the 12 months was up. I was told to go jump even after raising the 2 year EU warranty (which in reality is totally unenforced).

ampthill

WOW they got strict. We have had something like 5 free Kindles sent to us due to cracked screens. All within a year of purchase mind. But each time were asked did it get wet or did we drop it from more than waist height. We said no and they put a new one in the post with a box and label to return the old one….

Trobe with Warranties is that they cover defects in manufacture. That’s all ways tough to prove in a mobile device

Cougar

Only dealings I’ve ever had have been positive; seems Amazon are (were?) prepared to take a hit on the device because they know you’ll spend more on books.

When you say “here’s the refurbs”, did they offer a free one or tell her to go buy one?

dannybgoode

Only problem I have ever had with a Kindle was a broken screen and managed to a new one under warranty.

I have had the replacement 3 years and my wife has had hers 3 1/2 years.

When you say the screen has died what do you mean? Has it cracked or does it just not work any more.

Have you tried a hard reset (slide power button and hold for 20 seconds then release)? Usually fixes non-cracked screen issues.

Cheers

Danny B

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Amazon Kindle reliability – EU Warranty advice’ is closed to new replies.