Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Amazon fire tablet for kids – rip off?
  • Looking to get the kids a tablet for school programmes, spellingshed etc etc.

Was looking at the amazon fire SD 7″ is 99.99 but the ‘adult’ version is 49.99 – same size, same memory etc.
    Are they really charging an extra 50 notes for a rubber case or am i missing something.

Seems like getting the standard fire and buying a case is the way forward.

Anyone done that or is there a heap of tablets out there that are better?

cheers

Premier Icon P-Jay
    Subscriber

Such is the way with commerce.

There’s huge price fluctuation with them, sometimes the kids ones are discounted and nearly the same cost as the adult ones, sometimes the gap is wider.

More than just the case though, Amazon do offer a decent guarantee against child related damage, from memory, if they manage to break it, you get a new one.

100inch

Yep, it’s basically a scam. My daughter has non-kids version + rubber case, with a kids account setup on it for her to use.

They replace the kids version free of charge when your kids drop it on a rock / in the bath / off a cliff, no questions.

The kids account is £2/month – the kids version comes with a year’s sub.

So your adult + rubber thing is now £50 plus the rubbery case plus £24.

Wait for Black Friday – we bought the £100 kids one for £60 last year. Absolutely worth it.

had heard someone mention insurance as part of the ‘package’ but at 50 quid difference could have a spare!

What’s the deal with accounts – i was thinking i’d just set it up install all the various apps and that’s that?
    More to it than that – as its amazon does it instantly sign you up to a life time of prime if you so much as breath on it?

Premier Icon molgrips

No, the kids-specific version isn’t worth it.

I think it comes with a year’s free Fire-for-kids sub, but that’s only £2/mo if you are a prime member. And it’s well worth it btw. Unlimited ad-free games, loads of books etc.

It’s a good device, it doesn’t nag you for anytihng – but as above, fire for kids is good.

kynasf

We paid £150 for the two when they were on offer. The insurance is worth having as kids do have a tendency to break things and as said, the monthly subscription is £2 anyway.

thanks all – what i’m getting from this is:

get the kids if you find it on sale – but at current prices adult version and a case is the way to go?

Think there was a promo as recently as last week where the HD10 was ~£94.

johndoh

Yup – the replacement programme may be worth it if it’s for a very young child but we got a couple of standard ones for our girls when they were on sale (£30 each) and they lasted three years (only one suffered a broken screen but that was just before the Christmas when we replaced them with the larger HD ones (again when they were on sale). I think they are great value for kids.

However, our girls are now 10 and going to secondary school next year so are starting to push for iPads (the school they will be going to is an iPad for Learning school so it would make sense, if a little expensive).

We got one as a present for our daughter and its never been used. She uses the iPad for most stuff and has a laptop with edubuntu for anything else. I did try to use it on the adult account but it was crap and slow AF as the ram spec is lower than a standard fire IIRC.

If you wanted to buy it you would be more than welcome, it comes with a pink sleeve and charger.

i’m confused on the account aspect – does an amazon fire tie you into having some kind of related account?
    I assumed being android i could just go via google play store and a google account?

retro83

jimfrandisco

i’m confused on the account aspect – does an amazon fire tie you into having some kind of related account?
    I assumed being android i could just go via google play store and a google account?

It’s android but uses a separate amazon account/store and it does not use the play store.

You can trick it into using google play, but in doing so would defeat the point of the kids device (that being the curated store).

One thing I do wish is that I could limit the type of app my little girl can play with. Sure you can limit the time on ‘all apps’ but what I want to do is heavily limit the time on ‘Apply makeup to a kangaroo‘ type games but allow say an hour on educational stuff like the BBC Numberblocks app.

One other bugbear is that you can’t save passwords on the kids web browser. So every time we want to log in to do her homework, we have to type in the stupidly long password. Bit of an odd thing to block.

Yet another bug bear is when you grant access to a site, it appears on the home screen as a generic icon with no text beneath it. Why didn’t they use the site’s favicon so you could see what it is without opening it?

Still a good device, but with a few tweaks could be great.

rap and slow AF as the ram spec is lower than a standard fire IIRC.

Our two kids tablets were the exact same spec as the adult one.

does an amazon fire tie you into having some kind of related account?

yes/no/maybe – as mentioned its “amazon flavour android” – its served up with the amazon app store as default and a front end that prompts for amazon account details. you can root it or do something fiddly and get google play on there, but its one of those “is it worth it” questions, you might as well get a generic android tablet for generic adult use.

if you want it for your kids you’ll want the fire for kids service – the kids curated app store is great, it is age appropriate/filtered and has some great games and educational stuff on there, well worth £2/month.

as retro83 says it could use a few tweaks but it is far better than what some of our kids friends have (standard tablet with “parents choice” of apps installed – it seems to take them about ten minutes to work out how to put other stuff on there and get to inappropriate youtube streams, or games loaded with adverts and “upgrade” opportunities)… all the apps/games in the fire-for-kids are ad free and pre-paid.

out the box, sign in with your amazon account, add childs name, and off they go

its a few quid more, we thought it was well worth the difference, other opinions are available

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

I’m kinda torn on the ‘insurance’ aspect here. Sure, it’s great to be able to replace something if it breaks, but does that not rather teach a lack of respect for stuff? I think I’d rather take the approach of “you broke the thing, you do not have the thing any more.”

(Not a parent.)

parent, obvs, so (a) I have no time to muck about and (b) I have no money

despite (b) the difference (£10? £20?) over the course of year one was fairly nugatory, and if it really got bust, a new one would be really really nice and kids aren’t always deliberately crap to their stuff, they just haven’t developed common sense yet, and besides we can always do the “you broke it you don’t have it” routine on other cheaper stuff*

(a) sort of self explanatory

* actually with the younger one we are doing the “if you break it you won’t get another one” routine (but its a fib, albeit proving fairly effective at making him stop before he gets all tizzy about stuff when using it) as lots of games provide “many challenging moments” which we’re using as opportunities to develop his self control and whatnot, kind of sounds a bit crap but working out quite well in practice.

johndoh

I think I’d rather take the approach of “you broke the thing, you do not have the thing any more.”

It depends on the age of the child. An appropriate response to something being broken for a three year old would be very different than that towards an eight year old. When our girls were younger they dropped an iPad which cracked the screen. We sucked it up – they didn’t know better and didn’t have the motor skills. A couple of months ago (aged 10) they dropped an iPhone XS and broke the screen so they were appropriately punished. (I didn’t punch them in the face).

Premier Icon molgrips

We taught our kids good practice, and fortunately they listen. No using when plugged in (so the charger doens’t get tugged), no running about with it, sit down properly before you play, no food or drink whilst playing, put it away when done etc.

Fortunately they listened – but we didn’t get them until they were old enough to act responsibly with them. Still, I think one of them has a dodgy charging port now anyway.

^ what molgrips said

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

It depends on the age of the child. An appropriate response to something being broken for a three year old would be very different than that towards an eight year old.

Fair point, I hadn’t considered that.

Premier Icon rossburton
    Subscriber

We tried the Fire for kids when they were new and just did not get on with the interface. Maybe it’s improved now. Anyway, the alternative for less young kids is an iPad and I’m a big fan of watching the Argos refurb store on eBay: you can easily pick up as as-new iPad for a huge discount as the box has been opened.

johndoh

Agreed Ross – whilst we didn’t get the Kids’ version, we did trial the Kids interface and I didn’t like it. Our girls (then 5 yrs old) were already quite accustomed to using our iPad so didn’t need the big bright buttons and I didn’t like not having much control (ie, I wanted to install an app to play ripped films etc).

rip off? crikey, don’t ever look at Apple prices…

Premier Icon andybrad
    Subscriber

got a kids one. Its good. I dont have the kids package any more as its 4 quid a month.

daughter has already broke one. they sent a replacement same day!!

Our two kids tablets were the exact same spec as the adult one.

Yep so they are, I was thinking of the HD8. Either way though it is slow AF next to our old iPad Retina as there is just not enough RAM especially when you consider kids never shut apps down.

Wow I’m really selling this.

As a reader it is fine but I wouldn’t want to push it with anything more demanding. Plus you get into compatibility issues with sideloading. It just seems less hassle to get a proper tablet and lock it down yourself.

Premier Icon molgrips

The big benefit is the games themselves. They are all ad-free, you don’t get endlessly hassled into buying crap updates or viewing ads. Before we had Fires we had a plan Android tablet and the ‘free’ games were a massive PITA as they were purely designed to extort money.

there is just not enough RAM especially when you consider kids never shut apps down.

They don’t need to; Android boots out the oldest used apps when you open a new one.

Mr_C

Available for £68 on QVC + £5.95 P+P use code FIVE4U to get £5 off.

https://www.qvcuk.com/Amazon-All-New-16GB-Fire-7-Kids-Edition-Tablet-w-Kid-Proof-Case.product.519547.html

retro83

squirrelking

Yep so they are, I was thinking of the HD8. Either way though it is slow AF next to our old iPad Retina as there is just not enough RAM especially when you consider kids never shut apps down.

Wow I’m really selling this.

As a reader it is fine but I wouldn’t want to push it with anything more demanding. Plus you get into compatibility issues with sideloading. It just seems less hassle to get a proper tablet and lock it down yourself.

It’s soooo much better than an IPad for young kids they’re not even comparable.
    Yeah the number crunching performance of (any) iPad obviously trounces it but that’s not the point.

If I let my 5 year old play on my iPad I have to constantly watch what she’s doing in case youtube goes automatically advances onto one of those weird violent Elsa videos, or it’s popping up loads of full screen ads, or trying to do in app purchases, or she’s accidentally activating task switcher or the pop up control centre tray thingy. Just a PITA all round to be honest.

Whereas I can pretty much let her get on with doing what she wants on the Fire Kids mode. The youtube vids are pre-approved, the games are specific to the age group you’ve chosen, if she installs anything I get an email, it logs her web browsing and that cannot be cleared, etc etc.

There are niggles as i mentioned on my previous post but over all it’s a good bit of kit. Obviously from amazon’s point of view, the idea is to tie you in to their ecosystem but as long as you bear that in mind it’s great.

stof41

They are bloody awful, even our 2 year old got frustrated with it being so slow and would pinch my iphone.They also need to be constantly connected to WiFi or it locks out. You’d be better off getting a second hand ipad and sticking YTKids on it.

Premier Icon johnnystorm
    Subscriber

My daughter’s has been brilliant. Get it in the sale/Prime Day and the extra you pay is negligible considering the free content, warranty and bumper.

As mentioned above, while the content quality is variable it’s all safe and works seamlessly with no ads or potential bills or deleted data worries. Seems fast enough for a five year old and easy enough to download the videos to take away.

I haven’t noticed that it needed to always be on WiFi to work.

retro83

I haven’t noticed that it needed to always be on WiFi to work.

Yeah that’s cos it’s not true, maybe it’s a new feature?!

You just need to download the app, book or whatever then go into them once and they can be used offline.

null

Yeah that’s cos it’s not true, maybe it’s a new feature?!

I think it’s an older feature, the reviews from a few years back complain about apps not working without a WiFi connection, this has probably been sorted since then.

They don’t need to; Android boots out the oldest used apps when you open a new one.

You and Drac must go to the same shops 😉

ok…just to keep this ticking along, perhaps it would selfishly help me narrow things down if I say i’m looking for something for an 8 year old?

With that in mind, seems like the kids fire is less appropriate.
    BUT as someone else has already said I want an element of control that keeps them finding the nasties but also keeps them on spelling shed rather than drawing dolphins too much?

Guessing back to the ‘adult’ fire and a suitable cover?

Sorry for not replying squirrelking – i was tempted, but you did kind of talk me out of it yourself 😉

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.