Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Amazon Echo 2 Pre-Order £89 + Other Stuff
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Not really a PSA, but some might be interested.

Amazon have just announced a load of new hardware, including an updated Echo for £89, which comes in several colours, and an Echo Plus (£139) which has a smart hub built into it. Available in less colours, but comes with a free Philips Hue Bulb on preorder.

Other things dropping are a new FireTV for 4K fancy pants, and an Echo Show.

There’s also a box of tricks to turn your existing echo into a voice controlled speakerphone and Echo buttons, but they’re not out till next year. Everything else is available October/November.

Add 3 devices and save £50 off your order with code ECHO3PACK
    Add 2 devices and save £25 off your order with code ECHO2PACK

Annoyingly, the most interesting thing announced won’t be coming to the UK. So **** Amazon for that.

[video]https://youtu.be/_DAUmz188l8[/video]

allthepies
    Free Member

Annoyingly, the most interesting thing announced won’t be coming to the UK. So **** Amazon for that.

Well it will, but not until 2018.

Jamie
    Free Member

I did mean to edit that in, but that damn 15min window.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rockhopper
    Free Member

Can someone with an Echo give me some suggestions of useful things I can do with it other than asking her to tell me an anti joke which is actually quite funny!

zilog6128

As a fully paid-up Apple fanatic, I’m wondering whether Apple will ever sort themselves out with regards to price/functionality in this sector or just jump on board with Echo. Been running home automation for years with a creaky/bodgy X10 setup so voice control seems like a cool next step (not that I really need it!)

DezB
    Free Member

Other things dropping are a new FireTV for 4K fancy pants, and an Echo Show.

Rather amusing story yesterday – Google removing youtube support from the Echo Show. Be a bit crap without that eh? 😆

Kryton57

What’s the Echo Plus and Smart Hub about then? Like Rockhopper I’m struggling to see how an Echo can enhance my domestic environment.

zilog6128

Home automation is the big/obvious one for me, trouble is you then have to spend £££ on interfaces or new smart devices to get the most out of it!

vinnyeh

Apparently this is coming with Alexa soon…

wilburt
    Free Member

0-100 with Alexa in a few weeks.

I now miss her when she’s not about and any computer that I can’t talk to is old hat IMO.

Alexa play bbc radio six
    Alex turn the outside lights on
    Alex do you have display port to hdmi adaptor
    Alexa is it going to rain today
    Alexa play some Pink Floyd
    Alexa tell me about the cocker spaniels

DrP

On the video for the new echo the woman says “play my playlist EVERYWHERE”… does that mean ‘multicasting’ is coming???

DrP

johndoh
    Free Member

So with this Echo Hub, am I right in understanding that I can put a few Philips Hue lights in around the house and I can say ‘Alexa, turn the lights down in the lounge’? If so, how would I set it up to know which light is which? And again, I assume that if I have a Fire Stick, I could say ‘Alexa, turn over to BBC1’?

Etc etc

allthepies
    Free Member

I guess you register the lights with the hub and give them an associated name/group name which you can then use when issuing voice commands.

Kryton57

Oh right. So spending hundreds of pounds to be even lazier. 😐

johndoh
    Free Member

Don’t buy one then Grandad 😉

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Use the Phillips app and give your lights names and then group them into rooms if you want to. Add Hue to Alexa then just say “Alexa, turn on lounge lights” etc

siwhite
    Free Member

I’m hoping that Sonos will allow better integration with Echo before too long – a quick search suggests that this may be coming. I quite like the idea of a small device (ideally with a screen) for lists and reminders, and voice activation for music and the like.

Jamie
    Free Member

Oh right. So spending hundreds of pounds to be even lazier.

Alexa, what car should I buy?

trailwagger
    Free Member

I think they have made the whole system far to confusing for your average consumer. Which Echo do I need? what features will each one give me? You now have Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Spot, Echo Plus, Echo Buttons, the list goes on.

Jamie
    Free Member

You now have Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Spot, Echo Plus, Echo Buttons, the list goes on.

I dunno. I think you listed them all 🙂

trailwagger
    Free Member

Echo Show?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I can’t wait for Echo Echo.

stewbaccason

On the video for the new echo the woman says “play my playlist EVERYWHERE”… does that mean ‘multicasting’ is coming???

DrP

Already available (Link) however it has limits. Apparently works with Amazon music which would make sense but if, like me, you have a Spotify account it isn’t supported…. Currently 🙁

DezB
    Free Member

“Alexa, turn on lounge lights” etc

Surely “Alexa turn lounge lights off“? (Although being an American thing you probably have to tell it to turn the lights out 😕 )
    Why would you want to turn on the lights if you’re not in the room?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Because you’ve been sitting there a while and its now gone dark so you need the lights on.

Re SONOS integration – I fancy that but if you have the music volume at a sensible level will Alexa be able to hear your commands?

frogstomp

Re SONOS integration – I fancy that but if you have the music volume at a sensible level will Alexa be able to hear your commands?

Alexa dips the volume when it hears its keyword.

Kryton57

YoKaiser – Member
    I can’t wait for Echo Echo.

Echo and the Bunneymen?

DrP

Dez… We’ve a few echo and dots about the house..I use them to turn lights on as I walk into the room..
    Higher, this is via tp link plug controllers (bedside lamp/reading lamp)…
    I really want to control the dimmable ceiling led lights, but there’s no real way to do that. A few companies make wifi wall switches, but I don’t think they’ll work.

A you know, I’m a fan of the echo integration!!

I can’t really justify a newer one, but they do look nice!

DrP

DezB
    Free Member

Because you’ve been sitting there a while and its now gone dark so you need the lights on.

Ah yes of course – so dark you can’t see where the light switch is! I want one now! 😆

Kryton57

Dez… We’ve a few echo and dots about the house..I use them to turn lights on as I walk into the room..

See, this is what I don’t get. You paid money to avoid pressing a light switch. Surely just a gimmick.

leebaxter
    Free Member

A few things appeal to me, aswell as voice controlled music etc, i like the thought of syncing with our tesco delivery to add food stuffs. Also sonoff switches can be used to control the immersion heater. And i believe it can be used with honeywell evo home.

allthepies
    Free Member

You realise that they do lots more than turn lights on/off, yes ? 😀

plyphon
    Free Member

Can someone give me a quick run down of all the benefits of these type of products? I still don’t really get what they’re about.

plyphon
    Free Member

Oh right they’re basically speakers?

zilog6128

Kryton and pal, earlier today:

gray

Also, can someone explain twitter to me please?

woody74

She is really good to learn about things as she will read Wikipedia pages. Its certainly one of these things that you longer you have one the more you use it.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Can someone give me a quick run down of all the benefits of these type of products? I still don’t really get what they’re about.

Assuming that’s a serious question, here goes.

I don’t use Echo, I have Goggle home but same thing.

1. I use it a voice controlled music device that can play the same thing on multiple speakers around the house.
    2. I control my lights by voice. When I leave the house or go to bed I can tell it to switch of all the lights and do not have to walk around the whole house turning off all the lights the kids have left on.
    3. I use it to add products to my Tescos shopping basket.
    4. Voice control my heating and hot water system (via a nest)
    5. Tell me recipes whilst I’m cooking
    6. Tell me local traffic info
    7. Tell me when local shops are open
    8. Tell me anything I want to know without having to type it into Google search.

You get the idea. I find it incredibly useful and so does my wife who was a massive skeptic when I bought it thinking it was a gadgety gimmick.

plyphon
    Free Member

Cool – thanks. It’s actually quite hard to find a concise list like that within the 1 minute Google I give to understand a product USP.

Wiksey
    Free Member

You can also change it’s name from “Alexa” to “Computer” if you want to go all Star Trek…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Amazon Echo 2 Pre-Order £89 + Other Stuff’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts