Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • amateur question alert!
  • masonmarxx
    Free Member

i guess this is probably stupid but looking to learn with cleats(? is that what they’re called?)
    i’ve seen these pedals:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150540606838&category=36137&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_2181wt_1398

and these shoes:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230679697982?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_1180

is there anything else i’ll need? any advice to using them?

markenduro
    Free Member

is there anything else i’ll need?

Someone to film your first go.

That should be all that you need, have them on the loose setting until you get used to them.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Thats a good combination. Only thing missing are some strong legs and a bike! M520’s possibly cheaper from merlin with vip discount and their latest 10% off offer.

Advice – practice day dreaming and unclipping somewhere with a soft landing. You will need it!

masonmarxx
    Free Member

thanks 🙂 is it hard to fit the cleats on? and whats merlin and it’s VIP discount?

Someone to film your first go.

gotcha 🙂 should be a laugh to say the least! i’m actually intending to use them to stop stopping! falling shouldnt be too much of an issue, a few bruises shouldn’t do much!

scaredypants

yes, best to learn on-road I think

at rush hour

trackstanding at traffic lights

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/MTB++Parts/Transmission++Gears/Pedals-+MTB/Shimano+Pedals/Shimano+M520+SPD+Pedals_720.htm

Sign up for the newsletter and get 10% off everything. Also an offer on til the 9th(iirc?) to get an extra 10% off.

Fitting cleats is easy. A 4mm allen key, take insoles out, fit plate inside, cleat outside, bolt up loose-ish and try for pedal position / comfort. Then tighen up. Dont forget to copaslip / grease the wee bolts or you’ll never get them out in a years time.

masonmarxx
    Free Member

thanks a lot for that!

joolsburger
    Free Member

The most important thing is to set the float and tension properly. Sit somewhere where your legs are free to dangle and look at your feet. Many peoples feet rest at an angle. When you set the cleats up make sure that your feet are at/near that resting angle and not being turned too much. This will save your knees, be more comfy and make it much easier to clip out. On the pedals there is a small allen bolt with + and – signs one each side of each pedal, turn all four to min for now you can increase tension as confidence builds..

Fitting SPD cleats

PJM1974
    Free Member

Good call on the pedals and shoes.

They take a while to get used to, skinned knees and bruised palms are par for the course, but you’ll certainly appreciate the additional power and control they’ll give you, plus you’ll learn balance very quickly!

Fitting is an absolute breeze, but it’s probably best to avoid putting the cleats too far forward for a while. The instinctive pedal-on-your-toes stance doesn’t help stability. You’ll get comfortable in time, so experiment and play around.

masonmarxx
    Free Member

:mrgreen: cheers for all the advice! looked at the website but i dont get paid until next thursday 👿 no additional 10% off for me! but damn the deal is good on it!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘amateur question alert!’ is closed to new replies.