Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Am I wrong not to like my iPhone??
  • wombat

I’ve got a 5s as a company phone and a personal Sony Z1 Compact.

The only thing that I prefer about the Iphone is that the charger lead will fit in the socket both ways round.

Apart from that I prefer the Sony in every respect.

bencooper
    Free Member

Just today gone from an iPhone 5 to a 6+. **** me, it’s massive!

I’m sure it’ll seem normal in a week, though.

GrahamS

Yeah I don’t get the massive phone/”phablet” thing. To me a phone is something I can comfortably carry in the pocket of my jeans.

Depends on your jeans I guess

grum
    Free Member

I just came from a 4S to a second hand 5S and the difference is amazing. It’s relatively subtle I suppose but everything is a fair bit slicker and nicer to use. Hadn’t realised how frustrating the 4S slowness and crap battery life was so much until I upgraded.

Cougar

I’m not an iPerson but, isn’t there a thing called “Apple mobile device support” or something similar which gives the connectivity without needing iTunes?

rhid

I am awaiting a new battery for the iphone so I will put that in, as the current one last about 8 hours, and give it a week. I think part of it is its new but I assumed the iphone would be super easy to navigate and intuitive, but its not (for me anyways).

It is the first iPhone I have had so maybe I am being too hasty.

In the meantime I will keep hold of my Sony but search out a android bargain incase the iPhone does go. I like the look of the Nexus 5. Maybe I like bigger phones to match my clumsy man hands.

footflaps

I’m not an iPerson but, isn’t there a thing called “Apple mobile device support” or something similar which gives the connectivity without needing iTunes?

You don’t need iTunes at all with an iPhone. I only use iTunes to back it up and restore it when I upgrade.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I moved from Android to Microsoft to Apple.

Android just seemed messy and an unfinished product ( I get the point that its customisable)

Microsft was fantastic, I really liked it, but the phones put me off. Either low spec and small, or massive to get the tech.

Apple Best overall package so far, beautiful phone (6) good out of the box. The most annooying thing about it is that when you leave an app it goes back to where you were ie last email, rather than the inbox.

Mrs FD has an iphone 5s. If I had that I think I would be dissapointed, it just feels a bit more clunky. The 6 is bigger, but because its so slim, it doesnt feel big at all.

6 + is just a tablet !

jambalaya
    Free Member

I got a 6 but regret it, quite soon you get used to it and I would rather have the extra screen.

he most annooying thing about it is that when you leave an app it goes back to where you were ie last email, rather than the inbox.

I much prefer this it would be a PITA if it always went to the inbox. For example I am typing a message and I want to check a website/another app for info or to read a text. I want to go back to the email not search for it in drafts or lose it altogether.

retro83
    Free Member

jam bo – Member

no idea about alternatives but what do you need a back button for on the iphone?

home button is probably the equivalent.

No, it’s not. Nor is double clicking the home button.

In Android, let’s say yo’re in Chrome and you open a reddit link. It opens that in your chosen reddit app and goes to the right page. Then within that, you open a pdf, and it opens that in your chosen pdf app.

Pressing the back button then does the right thing (or at least should!), so rather than going back to the main PDF app page, it will jump straight back into reddit, press it again, and it’s back into the browser. In other words it’s aware of how you got to where you are.

On iOS, as far as I can tell the back arrow does whatever the app creator wants it to do. I.e. takes you back to main menu of that particular app, or to the last document you were in, or the next level ‘up’ in a forum.

IA

Ah ok, double tap home button does what you want, nearly, then. Or a 4-finger swipe on an ipad with the gestures turned on.

GrahamS

Interesting. You’re right retro83, the iPhone doesn’t maintain that breadcrumb trail/stack for you.

The equivalent action in iOS would be achieved by double-clicking the home button and choosing where you want to go back to (e.g. the browser or the reddit app in your example).

If you are just switching between two apps (the most common case) then the most recent app before the one you are in is always the first choice the app switcher gives you, so you can toggle between them quite quickly.

On iOS, as far as I can tell the back arrow does whatever the app creator wants it to do.

Yeah that’s correct, there is no common “back” button on iOS at all. Some app interfaces will obviously use a “back” concept in them but it’s a just a UI design choice by the app creator, not an integral thing.

gonefishin
    Free Member

The home button does do that doesn’t it? Double tap it and the apps are ordered by last used going from left to right. At least that’s how it appears to me.

GrahamS

That’s right gonefishin, in retro83’s example the iOS task switcher would list: the PDF reader (current app) to the left, reddit (the previous app) in the middle, and the browser (previous but 1) to the right.

But it doesn’t maintain that conceptual stack: i.e. if you switched back from the PDF reader to the reddit app then bring up the task switcher then the PDF reader is now the previous app, but under the Android system the browser is the previous app.

Both approaches make sense, it’s just two ways to handle the same thing.

Effectively the iOS task switcher is an MRU list and the Android one is a Stack.

retro83
    Free Member

gonefishin – Member

The home button does do that doesn’t it? Double tap it and the apps are ordered by last used going from left to right. At least that’s how it appears to me.

Yeah kindof, but if you’ve been to a different app in the meantime on iOS e.g. to check weather or something, then the order then doesn’t match what Android would do. I’m not complaining BTW, just trying to explain how it works.

Edit: as GrahamS has explained better above

IA

We’ll just not mention android apps that mess with the stack and break the mental model…

Cougar

I moved from Android to Microsoft to Apple.

Android just seemed messy and an unfinished product ( I get the point that its customisable)

To be fair, you’re comparing a, what, four year old incarnation of Android with a current iOS. Back then, it probably was an unfinished product. It’s come a long way.

GrahamS

Out of interest retro83, and this is getting properly off-topic, how does Android deal with loops in the stack?

So if in your example you went browser->reddit->pdfreader but then in the PDF you clicked a link that opened a new page in your browser?

Do you now have browser (original page)->reddit->pdfreader->browser(new page) on your stack?

If so then how far back / how long does it keep this information? Can you just pick up an Android device and start hitting back to see what someone has been doing on it? Or does the stack get cleared when you go to the home screen?

trailhound101

Can you not download a ‘back button’ app from the App store?

retro83
    Free Member

Do you now have browser (original page)->reddit->pdfreader->browser(new page) on your stack?

Not got it to hand, but I think so.

IA – Member

We’ll just not mention android apps that mess with the stack and break the mental model…

yep, there’s always one or two twatty developers who think they know better than everyone else 😆

CountZero

Three_Fish – Member
    Well that is indeed shit. Must surely be against monopoloy legislation…
    The iPhone isn’t much better: Google , Bing, Yahoo or DuckDuckGo.

Shirley, having a choice of four different browsers isn’t a monopoly? Apple are deliberately offering DuckDuckGo as an alternative, and Bing is offered as well. Hardly monopolistic.
    The MS mobile OS only giving one clearly is, and after the fiasco with MS and Explorer, you’d think they’d have learned from it.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Microsoft were offering Google on at least the 1020 and there’s not been many high end phones released with windows OS since then.

unovolo
    Free Member

Have a iphone for work.
    Hate the native email app.
    Hate the text app.
    The word substitution drives me f#@king mad.
    Several other things get on my nerves with it also.

Personal phone is a Windows 925 and for me its better in every way.
    Don’t see the Google thing as a issue, Bing still finds the things I’m looking for.

Here maps is better than Apples piss poor effort IMO, so much so that I use HERE maps on the iphone too.

In contrast I do actually like ipad and think there better suited to ios.

molgrips
    Free Member

Shirley, having a choice of four different browsers isn’t a monopoly?

I think he’s saying that the fact it’s limited is a problem.

IE on PC for example can integrate with any search engine that supports its framework.

molgrips
    Free Member

If so then how far back / how long does it keep this information?

It keeps them as long as it has the memory to do, deleting old views when memory is full. Your app can also expire its own views I think too. Online banking apps do this.

Not sure if they’d time out on their own, but yes you could see at least some of what a person has been doing if you had their phone and it wans’t protected.

enfht
    Free Member

I deploy a mix of devices to users at work, not everyone likes the shiny apple awesomeness. You are not alone OP.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Shirley, having a choice of four different browsers isn’t a monopoly?

No, it isn’t. Neither is having only four search engines built into the native browser, which is what I was talking about. Molgrips mentioned monopolies, not me. I commented that iOS was only slightly better in terms of personal choice, but that it wasn’t really such a big problem to work around. Cool your boots…

footflaps

The word substitution drives me f#@king mad.

Switch it off?

Drac

Just today gone from an iPhone 5 to a 6+. **** me, it’s massive

!

I went from a 4S to 6 and 6+ had them both around the same length of time the 6+ longer. It’s massive.

Mackem

How android handles the stack (or not) is down to the programmer. An app can be declared as only having one instance or multiple instances, behaving in different ways.

The back button can be programmed to do anything the programmer wants.

GrahamS

Mackem: An app programmer can take control over how the operating system switches between tasks??

Mackem

Android automatically kills off apps when memory is getting low or it’s unresponsive. but you can tell Android to automatically re-create it. You can say I only want one instance of this app, so a relaunch just switches to the one already running Or it’ll create a new instance, you can tell it destroy any previous instances or not. With the back button, you can override the behaviour to anything you can program really.

GrahamS

Ah right, that makes more sense. Ta.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I hate my 5S battery lifespan – crud.

I don’t like how it scratches so easily without a case.

Other than those two, I really like it.

I didn’t upgrade to the 6 or plus yet unless they have better batteries.

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Am I wrong not to like my iPhone??’ is closed to new replies.