Am I too old?

Home Forum Chat Forum Am I too old?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Am I too old?
  • im 37 work in retail,  hate working in retail.

Really want to to do something different with my life and feel like I’ve tried it instead of just going on with everything.

but I don’t have any qualifications,  just gcses’s and would love to do something different but feel that I’m potentially too old to retrain.

what have other people done?  I love the thought of becoming a tailor,  but then I also love the thought of being a racing driver!

Anyone retrained and been successful?

tjagain

You are certainly not too old.  Do you fancy care work?  a job as a care assistant in a care home is easy to get and would give you a taste of it and if you liked it you could train as a nurse.  I know someone who did this a decade older than you.  You can do nurse training with no qualifications – either an access course or do the on the job NVQs to get second year entry to the full training

hols2

Become a teacher. I know some teachers and they hate it. You’ll be happy to go back to retail.

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

I’m 48 and looking at becoming a nurse.

Used to be an insurance analyst – it nearly killed me.

Now a rehab coach for people with brain injuries. Love it, but can’t afford to keep doing it and it’s time to move on. So nursing.

Go for it. What’s the worst that could happen?

slackalice

You’re too old only if you believe you are. When you follow your dream, you will be successful by being true to yourself.

Plenty of people have and are doing so, a career for life is outdated.

* ‘successful’ has many interpretations, perhaps by defining your own will enable you to be so.

HTH

deadlydarcy

Do an apprenticeship as a sparky or plumber. You’ll be gunning it around in a dropped T6 with alloys and sidesteps in around 3 years. 🙂

hodgynd

Hell no …

I’ve been self employed since deciding that having had 24years in sales I would back myself to earn a living rather than work for someone else ..

I was 40 when I took that decision ..twenty years ago .

Age is just a number ..it shouldn’t be a barrier to anything ..back yourself and just go for it ..

milky1980

I’m 37 with not many relevant qualifications (C1 license and a totally useless degree in engineering that’s so out of date it’s laughable) and I’m not too old to retrain!

I’m actually looking into doing just that when I hit 40 as I want to get out of my job around then, too physical to carry on and still leave me the energy to ride bikes for fun.  I was in retail but got out 13 years ago and am actually looking to get back into it while I retrain in something else, mainly because there are jobs everywhere so it won’t limit my choices of places to relocate to (I want to leave city life behind) and I enjoyed it last time round, I only left due to the poor wages.  I’ve just got to get myself into a position to be comfortable living off a minimum wage job and savings while I retrain.

I get paid quite well,  so the wage drop is the biggest concern to me.

But just in a situation where I feel like I need to do something else otherwise I’m going to go mad.

ash

poolman

The sparky or plumber training sound good, while learning get some painting jobs.  I m painting myhousd and find it q relaxing, drinking buckets of tea and kilos of flapjack.

In surrey painters want 250 per day, thats a grand a week after a bit of running around.

Look out for retails future, in 5 years the nature of the job will change so make sure you get skilled up now.

mariner

The guy who cleans my windows spends a lot of time abroad in the winter flying a wing kite.

I calculate £20 per house takes about fifteen minutes times the number of houses you can do in a day times the number of days you can be arsed to work per week.

Hmm. You need a van a long hose and tank of ‘special water’.

tjagain

Poolman – if you are self employed in trades you will be lucky to bill for half the hours you actually work (Estimates, admin, fixing stuff etc). and you also have a lot of costs as well ( van. tools etc).    £20 an hour does not equal £40 000 a year – more like £20 000 after costs, non billable hours and so on

I’m 45 and just got my head kicked in playing Fortnite:Battle Royale against  some 9 year olds.

It would appear that I am too old.

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

Git gud, Perchy.

milky1980

I’ll be staring at a drop in wages of £10-12k after deductions, still won’t stop me.  I could easily live on £16-18k (before tax) a year if I tried, just need to get some savings sorted.

Happiness and quality of life is worth more to me than money in the wage packet.

Houns

I turned 40 last month and in a similar boat, decided to kick myself up the arse as I was going nowhere fast. I’ve applied for a few apprenticeships (applications ongoing) and have just started a BSc in Environmental Science with the OU

caspian

I’m also 37 and changing jobs. Looking at a ten fold drop in wages. Can’t wait

Not even a question at 37.  Tsk.

But pursue something that you love doing.  Don’t imagine who or what you want to be.  Ask yourself what it is that you do that sets a fire in you.  Something you can’t imagine not doing.  Something you would spend time/money doing on your days off from retail work?

T1000

Go with your childhood dreams… become a …Train Driver 50K£ +

hours cant be any worse than retail?

Premier Icon cloudnine
    Subscriber

I setup a Gardening business last summer which i worked part time.  Luckily i was gifted a load of customers by a retiring gardener that i worked with.

Left my job in retail last month and am now full time self employed gardener.

Its been the coldest, wettest shit start to a spring ive known for years so havent been doing too much the last month.  A huge relief  to be out of retail and now happy being my own boss.  Im 42 BTW.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

I changed career at 49 after 14 yesrs in the NHS, i now fix and sell bikes for a living.  Took 2.5k drop in wages but so much less stress & more freedom. Learn a new skill every day. It’s never to late to be happy.

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

I was only a little younger than you and working in local authority. Took a salary hit to go on a two year training program with a DNO and now I’m doing the most enjoyable job I’ve ever had and earning twice what I was at the council.

Frankenstein

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>You’re not old.  Unless you’re 90.</span>

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Plenty of 50 something’s starting their own business or retraining.</span>

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Tailor you say OP?  Why don’t you do that on the side as your own business unless you want to work for someone else full time. </span>

Premier Icon paul4stones
    Subscriber

What’s a DNO?

myti

Cloud nine. Have you joined the landscape juice forum yet. I’ve found it absolutely invaluable for my gardening business. Just wish I discovered it long ago! Hopefully the snow will melt in time for work tomorrow!

Premier Icon penguinni
    Subscriber

Started my Paramedic training at 54.

poly

I calculate £20 per house takes about fifteen minutes times the number of houses you can do in a day times the number of days you can be arsed to work per week.

Do people really pay that much for clean windows?  I pay less than a third of that and grudge he comes too often.

bear in mind you probably won’t be cleaning windows in the pouring rain and depending on your set up may need to go back round the houses again (sometimes more than once) to actually get paid.

my guy is old school and uses a bucket and ladder, which means from the pittance I pay he pays another guy to hold the ladder.

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

37 is too old to  audition for a boy band or get a trial for man united. Other than that just do anything you want. Do anything you want at any age.

mooman

I left school before my 16th birthday – didn`t sit any exams; just walked away with an out of date free school dinner ticket … and a couple over due school library books.

Done lots of different manual jobs, and spent 20 years in a local factory before being made redundant aged 43.

Decided to bite the bullet, and do something I want to do – rather than something I got to do. So retrained as a social worker.

Retirement age probably gonna be about 70 by time I retire, so the last 20+ years I want to be doing a job I enjoy and one I will be able to do till then.

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

What’s a DNO?

Distribution Network Operator. The people who look after the electrical network between national grid and your house, the old electricity boards.

Most regions are currently recruiting. There was a thread in here about it quite recently.

windyg

I spent 25+ years as an electronics technician/service engineer my last boss was such a complete c**t i decided in my 40’s I would find something else I was good at, started my own gardening business up, was fulltime within 3 months totally full diary 6 days a week in less than 12 months, 95% of my work is regular weekly/fortnightly visits and all my clients are great to work for. Really wished I had done it years ago. So yes you are no where near too old to do something different.

@cloudnine totally agree, it’s been slowest start to a year i’ve ever had.

Premier Icon d4ddydo666
    Subscriber

Not too old, no such thing as plenty have stated above.

My tuppence worth is that balance is worth aiming for – I’m looking at reducing my hours to 3days a week in the NHS low waged but very satisfying job, supplemented by a bit of freelance work that pays better, will probably end up working four days a week on average. Partly to go back and do an MSc since I enjoyed my uni time so much a got a slightly poxy degree, but mostly for a variety – short attention span requires stimulation of differing sorts (I’m sure I’m not so unusual in that!) – and that mythical “work-life balance” which ought to allow more riding of bikes than I currently manage.

For context I used to work 80hr weeks, earned a lot more money but had no more disposable cash and zero energy/positivity to enjoy my family, took a huge pay cut and now work school hours, can run the house more efficiently which frees up pennies to do fun things with my kids most evenings.

Do lots of number crunching, see what income you need to cover your essentials and consider how much more you need for luxuries and go for it.

From friends who’ve made their hobby a livelihood tho – do it if you cannot not do it, but making your joy your income runs the danger of leaving you no alternative relaxation activity and can make that fun-stuff just stressful.

Good luck!

The prison service are crying out for people like you OP, mature with some experience of life.

Great money too, 23K & you get to work every bank holiday & every other weekend, do 7 nights on the trot 2 or 3 times a year depending on your shift pattern.

There’s no chance on earth of you not getting a job if you applied.

mariner

Do people really pay that much for clean windows?

I said it was special water.

Does the upper and lower from ground level plugged into his ipod. No ladders.

Mind you I still have to scrape the seagullsh off myself.

Do people really pay that much for clean windows?

I said it was special water.

Must be very special. Wev’e got a detached house & only pay £10 including cleaning the conservatory windows!

Prison service! Not for me.  Sounds like great fun though!

batman11

I was 43 when I walked away from my job of 14 years. Bought a van with a tank and pumps in and some poles with that funny water. And I started to clean windows, 18 months in  and I had a a good business entering my 5th year now work 20/25 hours a week to suit. Yes it rains yes it freezes but over all it’s a good life and if you do it right you hardy have to go back to collect money with electronic payment methods and few other tricks I do that others don’t seem to do.

What ever you decide go for it nothing worse than hating your life because of work

Premier Icon cloudnine
    Subscriber

Cloud nine. Have you joined the landscape juice forum yet.

Yes, thanks.. I think Dan Frazer mentioned it ages ago to me.  I think i spent about 2 months reading through every thread on there whilst at my old job.   Its been invaluable.  Due to the slow start ive also figured out wordpress and done my own website.

winrya

I’ve just done exactly the same. 36 and had been doing a bit of carpentry on and off for a mate over the past few years whilst working full time in retail management since I left college. End of last year he offered to employ and train me up and I decided it was time to give carpentry a try, quit my job of 18 years, kitted myself out with £4k of tools and had my first xmas off since I was a teenager. It’s a hell of a change but the freedom, variation and reduction in stress has been mind blowing. It’s not all roses, the weather and the fact my first big project has had me outside since jan has left me frozen, soaked and muddy. I’m assured it’s never usually this cold and have high hopes for the summer months when I’ll be outside in shorts and t shirt soaking up the sun.  Every day Is a school day and look forward to a time when I’m not doing things for the first time and can look at a job and feel less stressed about it. Hard work now will pay off in the future as it should all get easier and easier

Winrya can I ask have you taken a massive pay cut?

thats the problem I have in retail is the stress of it all,  stupid targets and measures,  less and less colleagues to do the job.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.