Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 142 total)
  • Am I right to feel a bit unhappy.(classifieds content)
  • renton
    Free Member

I can honestly say that with everything Ive sold on here if I couldnt post out straight away I have always let the buyerr know before he/she hands over their cash!

out of courtesy really isnt it!

tomhoward

FWIW I expect sellers to post on the following Saturday, and would hope others expect the same of me, anything sooner is a bonus. Folk have lives/jobs.

renton
    Free Member

IHN I agree with you!!

It would of been nice to be told firsthand so I could make the decision to hand my cash over or not

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

jota180 – Member
    TBH – if I had stuff to sell and couldn’t post till the weekend, I wouldn’t put it up on the Classifieds on Monday/Tuesday, I’d wait till Thursday.

and this +1

wwaswas

when I’m selling I tend to get stuff posted asap but I recently had to wait for a couple of days to get a suitable box to put something in.

it’s tricky but I’m not CRC etc and I’d expect a buyer to be prepared to wait a few days before I despatched stuff uiless they specifically said they wanted it sooner during negotiations and I’d make a judgement as to whether I could meet their expecations.

renton
    Free Member

wwaswas…. fair enough if it was 1-2 days but not to be able to post until the weekend is a bit different!

chestrockwell

I don’t think the fact you made a cheeky offer first should have anything to do with it.

IMO there’s no problem putting things up for sale if you can’t post straight away as you don’t know how long it’ll take to find a buyer but I also don’t think it’s out of order to change your mind and ask for a refund.

I don’t think I’ve sold anything on here (Could be wrong) but have sold loads on retrobike. Once I’ve sold an item, or during negotiations I’ll say when I expect to be able to post. I’d be quite happy to offer a refund if I was not able to get to the PO for a while.

flyingmonkeycorps

but cant take 5 mins out of your ‘busy’ day to pop to a post office?!

I work ten minutes drive from the nearest Post Office. I mostly get a lift to work, so it’s more like half an hour walk, if not longer (I’ve never tried!) which isn’t really practical on a lunch hour. I leave for work before the PO opens, and I get back before it closes. Can’t stop off on the way / back as lift timings are tight with dropping kids off at nursery.

So for me, it’s really not that easy to get to the Post Office. That said, I would generally let people know when I would be posting before accepting payment, out of politeness.

But then if I was buying and I wanted something quickly I’d ask the seller if that was possible before selling.

So it’s a little from column a and a little from column b, as I see it.

Northwind

jota180 – Member

TBH – if I had stuff to sell and couldn’t post till the weekend, I wouldn’t put it up on the Classifieds on Monday/Tuesday, I’d wait till Thursday.

And then it doesn’t sell til sunday, or it takes a day or two to agree a price and make payment, and the person still waits a week… It’s a nice idea but it doesn’t work.

Oscillate Wildly – Member

Takes an absolute minimum of 30 minutes for me, assuming there’s nobody else in when I get there and there’s a parking space. Has taken over an hour. Who works 2.5 minutes from a post office? The lady in the post office could take more than 5 minutes to post her own parcel!

MSP

Takes me longer than 5 mins to pop to the post office, to get to the post office would mean not eating lunch and asking my boss for a bit extra time.

If you want something tomorrow go to a shop, if you want something cheap and second hand, you can wait a few days.

andrewh
    Free Member

90 minute round trip for me (excluding the ridiculous queueing time) and I’m hardly in the middle of nowhere. My three closest ones have all closed down in the last couple of years

renton
    Free Member

I understand what a lot of the arguemnts are about not been close to a post office etc but how many people on here would tell someone after they had paid that they cant post until x day rather than before somone hands over cash to you??

renton
    Free Member

msp I have absolutley no problems waiting a few days but this will more than likely be 7 or 8 days depending on when it finally gets posted

bruneep

If you wanted for the weekend you should have made it quite clear at time of purchase.

I work 8-6 cant leave the building for lunch. So what do I do?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

well i dont work near a post office either, im 10 -15 mins minimum, but as above if i’ve sold something and somebody has given me their hard earned i go on my lunch hour, its the least i can do considering they have paid me for it….

obviously sellers/people are different and have different priorities, but mine is to get the goods out as soon as i sell them….

obviously lunch is more important to some of you folks 😉

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

bruneep – Member
    If you wanted for the weekend you should have made it quite clear at time of purchase.

I work 8-6 cant leave the building for lunch. So what do I do?

well as a rule of thumb – id say, ‘ps cant post out till weekend’ in my description?!?

plyphon
    Free Member

I work in a fairly rural location, the local post office shuts for the day at 1pm.

My lunch hour starts 1pm.

Therefore, I am never able to get to a post office Monday to Friday. I do however let buyers know this before exchanging money.

Northwind

Oscillate Wildly – Member

obviously lunch is more important to some of you folks

No, getting back to work on time is more important.

The trouble here is people seem to be thinking “Well I can do it, therefore anyone who doesn’t must be lazy”. Which probably also feeds “I could post out the next day, therefore I assume everyone else can too, so I’ll get my item fast”

bigyinn
    Free Member

renton – Member

Still foe sale folks as I offered under asking which makes me a Messer.

Cheers

Steve
    Posted 20 hours ago # Report-Post
    Putting that on the FS thread is not going to endear you to the seller now is it?
    And then you go and say you’ll take it anyway?
    Talk about pissing on your own doorstep.

jota180
    Free Member

And then it doesn’t sell til sunday, or it takes a day or two to agree a price and make payment, and the person still waits a week… It’s a nice idea but it doesn’t work.

Works fine for me
    Pretty much everything I’ve sold has gone on the day I listed it or it didn’t go at all

boblo
    Free Member

If you paid by PayPal, reverse the transaction and buy a new one from a shop. It’s cheaper secondhand because a) it’s used and b) you’re dealing with joe public not Wiggle/Chain Reaction etc.

Don’t forget, many people work away either all or part week often out of the UK. This will take a bit more than ‘5 minutes from a busy schedule’ to resolve. If a delivery deadline is important, you should discuss and agree up front not assume.

Sermon over.

renton
    Free Member

bigyin ive already said I was a knob for doing that !! The lad just wound me up with his attitude in the email he sent!

God knows why I then went on to agree to buy it the day after…..

MicArms

Renton,
    I have a spare light you can borrow for a few weeks if you want it.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

well in this instance the guy wanted it sharpish and generally expected it to be posted out within a reasonable time scale

advertising something you cant post till the weekend seems a bit like giving the guy a loan for a few days to me, given its only tuesday now

as above i’d be advertising it thursday/friday if i couldnt post until saturday

and then theres always a partner/wife/kid/relative etc you could ask to post it for you surely? which ive done on numerous occasions

just think to avoid threads like this, a simple ‘by the way i cant post this out till the weekend’ type line would have cleared up any problems and avoided this crap thread

but anyways getting back on track – the seller should just refund him, has this actually been discussed or what? its the easiest solution for all, thats all i’d do

renton
    Free Member

Boblo Ive said above I appreciate people dont live next door to the post office etc, but Ive also pointed out that I would always let a buyer know BEFORE they give me their cash that there will be a delay posting the item out.

renton
    Free Member

oscillate-wildly… I have emailed a few times from literally just after he emailed to say he cant post until the weekend asking for a refund

Had no replies yet……

boblo
    Free Member

Well Renton, you may well have used up your quota of goodwill with that particular seller before you got to that point.

How did you pay? PayPal? PayPal gift (ha ha)? If PayPal, jus get it reversed.

Woof woof!

edlong
    Free Member

He said “no offers”, you made one anyway, then put a sarcy comment on when he batted that back, then you said you would take it anyway, paid him, then changed your mind and asked for a refund because it won’t be posted for four days, although you hadn’t asked, or stated any delivery time requirements before you agreed the purchase.

I’d have more sympathy if it was the seller on here moaning about PIA buyers on the classifieds messing him around…

IHN

renton – I’d stop digging fella. Lesson learnt, move on.

renton
    Free Member

I sent payment @ 08:37 this morning.

bruneep

gift or regular?

do a charge back if it bothers you that much.

MSP

Therefore, I am never able to get to a post office Monday to Friday. I do however let buyers know this before exchanging money.

I would say that needing the item quickly because you are going away is the unusual situation, and the onus is on the buyer to point this out and ask if the seller can do something before handing over the cash. Throwing a hissy fit afterwards is a bit embarrassing.

bigyinn
    Free Member

God knows why I then went on to agree to buy it the day after…..

Your mistake was this.

If I get vibes from a seller (or a buyer, if im selling) that they’re going to be a PITA then I wont buy it from them. I’d rather deal with someone who can communicate in a reasonable manner.

boblo
    Free Member

This morning? Are you serious? What if the bloke has no access to email etc during the working day? Osmosis and telepathy don’t work. Grow up, chill out, learn and move on <sigh>

So in answer to your question, no you’re not right… You might feel a bit miffed you didn’t confirm when it would be posted before agreeing the sale but I’d expect you to kick yourself for this rather than blame anyone else.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

If you want something asap, buy from a shop ffs

Mister-P
    Free Member

*makes note never to sell to Renton*

fasthaggis

3 pages ,good work 🙂

renton
    Free Member

This morning? Are you serious? What if the bloke has no access to email etc during the working day? Osmosis and telepathy don’t work. Grow up, chill out, learn and move on <sigh>

So in answer to your question, no you’re not right… You might feel a bit miffed you didn’t confirm when it would be posted before agreeing the sale but I’d expect you to kick yourself for this rather than blame anyone else.

Boblo have you actually read all of this thread…… it was after I had sent the payment this mornig he emailed me to say payment recieved and by the way as of this morning Im away with work so cant post until saturday. 🙄

renton
    Free Member

mister p why is that ?? do you think I am being unreasonable that I am told after I paid that I cant have the item I have paid for in good faith until a week or so time??

robh

Absolute no post here.

He could have told you he is only able to post at week-ends, you could have told him you needed it sooner, communicate before handing over the cash and whining later.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘Am I right to feel a bit unhappy.(classifieds content)’ is closed to new replies.