Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Am I Odd – I like riding my hardtail now and not my Spicy!
  • rep341
    Free Member

Just got a Charge Blender and loving riding it about the place from local forests to trail centres

The Big Spicy is sat i the garage- never thought I would see the day

Am I odd? Anyone got a similar problem?
    Hardtails Anonymous??

Frankers
    Free Member

Spicy is a nice bike…. but maybe a little overkill for this country

jedi

i love riding my old hummer. i use it for coaching too. just back from chamonix where i took the corperate rocket (bottle) and wished i had the hummer aagin

rep341
    Free Member

Yes I almost thinking of selling trhe Spicy and geting some Pikes for the Charge then using the rest of cash for buying a 2nd hand DH bike for uplift days.
    Very weird for me

rep341
    Free Member

MMMM Chamonix- Love the place

jedi

i love tha place too! 🙂

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Funny that, i bumped and bruised my cocyx on the ht the other day and wish I had had the full sus out for that one moment.

I'm actually going from ht to full suss but more importantly try to get a balance between the two.

Odd that!

flatfish
    Free Member

Got a 29er HT in feb which means my Nicolai has become a very expensive dust catcher.(ridden three times in 7 months)

Shadow
    Free Member

My spicy is also sat in the garage feeling very unloved, ridden it twice this year, i'm thinking about stripping it and selling it 🙁
    Loving my ti 456 tho it make me happy

BigDummy
    Free Member

One day I shall get a big boingy bicycle, so that I can keep it in my shed and ride my hardtail instead. Until that day comes I'll just ride the hardtail. 🙂

nickc

Did this two years ago, sold a Hummer (old one, 100mm forks) and a Helius FR, replaced with a Chameleon.

Splash-man
    Free Member

I'm with Onceinlifetime – just about to have my second operation on prolapsed discs in my back.

Sold the hardtail today 🙁
    Will be sad to see it go but it means pastures new………

vinnyeh

It's a pretty "on-trend' thing to say/do, isn't it? Though I've just gone the other way- a new boinger, and to avoid it sitting it in the shed most of the time like the last few, I've sold the Ti456. I'm determined to get through the winter with just the new bike and the crosser.

Sometimes though a change is as good as a holiday.

Trekster

Got a Kona Dawg Primo in the loft.
    Blue Pig has been used now for the best part of a year. Dawg is 5yrs old so not too bothered about storing it till I can afford to do some maint/repairs and get it going again.

Had a bad back for 30odd yrs and tbh I did not find the fs to be any benefit, prolonged climbing can cause me as much discomfort as any bumping/bashing. Sometimes just the rebound action of the rear shock can set off a spasm. Finding the Pig to be very comfy for all day rides of 5-6hrs.

coopersport1
    Free Member

Find I'm on my old P7 alot more than my 5 at the moment, but took the 100mm P7 to Afan last week and after loving day 1 blasting round Skyline by day 3 and then on to Brecfa I wished I got the 5!my spine is not as shock absorbant as it used to be. However locally the P7 will get the most use in the mud through the winter, ditch the 1×9 and back to SS 😀

ahwiles
    Free Member

i like riding my hardtail, my left ankle really doesn't.

(old war wound).

here's to hoping itser skill thing, and i can learn to ride smoother.

i've found that a hardtail is more fun most of the time, as well as making the climbs easier it makes the descents last longer – which is nice.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I hadn't ridden my hardtail for about 9 months after getting a full suss but then one day I had to get back on it as my other bike was needing repairs. It was great to be back on the Schwinn and in some ways I enjoy it more than the full suss bike. I think it's because there's more trail feedback and it's a shorter bike so I can do a bit more with it rather than just point and go. I'm thinking a hardtail with a slackish head angle and big forks would be fun.

ianpinder
    Free Member

I'm about to ride my 100mm forked jump bike down snowdon on sat because my fs is out of action. Should be interesting!

forge197
    Free Member

I like having the choice so would try and keep a full sus, but my latest Hardtail is brilliant love riding it, one of the best bikes I've built.

senorj

Recently got a p7 with 140mm forks.So much fun.
    The sub5 hasn't had a look in since early july!

I'm in the South east now , I bought the sub 5 when I was in Cumbria.
    A hard tail is all you need really, darn sarf.
    However the p7 had me grinning like a bag o'chips at the weekend doing
    Langdales,Whinlatter & Skiddaw fig8, so the Sub5 may soon be redundant.

oxnop
    Free Member

Me too. I built a nice specced P7 a few months ago. I also started a thread stating the same – I've bought a coil shock for my LTc to make it feel like a bigger bike to justify me keeping it. I can now say it's my bike for big hills in Europe/Scotland 😀

I love my P7!

JPcapel
    Free Member

Couldn't agree more with original post by rep341

Sold DH bike earlier this month deciding not using it enough beyond odd day to somewhere like UKbikepark or similar – bike is actually useless on local trials – so Gone!

turner 5spot DW link – good all rounder but fails to excit much anymore.

Hardtail – new Genesis alpitude bought about 1 month ago – with 150mm floats – outstandingly entertaining to ride, total build weight 26.5lbs with a steel frame (loads of bling has had to be used to achieve this weight XTR, 9 speed set up – to keep weight as low as poss). Took it to chicksands yesterday usually favouring full suss bike and had best visit ever thrashing down 4X and dual track without wanting the day to end.
    Can totally see myself possibly selling the 5spot and getting the brodie holeshot in ti as perhaps the perfect single bike I want/need…..
    Nothing to do with trends, just how my riding is progressing, stuff that is easy on a full suss – big drops/jumps is more rewarding on a hardtail when you get it right and smooth. Also I like the clean lines of the frames and relative simplicity of maintaing a hardtail.

craig1975
    Free Member

i tend to grab my new BFe more than the full suss… I think i get more out of my HT.. I cant wait to get get out on it the morra eving after work… 🙂

mangatank
    Free Member

I've found exactly the same thing recently. The gears have gone west on the full susser, so while I wait to take it in for a fix, I've resurrected the hardtail. The first ride was a bit 'ouch', but within two days the veil was lifted from my eyes: Hardtails are brilliant! Great climbing, great across flat ground, fantastic on singletrack and…well, okay, not so quick going down hill but on everything else, I had more fun. And when I hit the tarmac at the end of the ride…wow, it was amazing!

Full susser may be appearing on ebay soon, and I'm already saving for a Ti frame. 😀

rs
    Free Member

Just about to move my bits over from 6" forked hardtail to Santa Cruz Bullit, the hardtail was nice for a while but i need to get back on a full suss.

_tom_
    Free Member

I've been contemplating a Blender for ages – originally decided the seat angle would be too slack for any sit-down pedalling. Do you find this or is it alright? I'm getting into downhill more than xc now so on the lookout for a slack hardtail.

Rickos
    Free Member

I was getting a bit jaded with my main bike, so took out my old '94 Rock Lobster singlespeed with 80mm forks. Proper old skool style arse in the air riding which wasn't very comfy, but I had such a good fun ride. It's nice to have options to break it up a bit.

rep341
    Free Member

Tom
    Its been GREAT! I recommend you get one ASAP

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Am I Odd – I like riding my hardtail now and not my Spicy!’ is closed to new replies.