• This topic has 33 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Yak.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Am I "nannying" my bike?
  • Kryton57

I’ve found myself posting about a “play” bike on here many a time. And I think what I want is a bike I can go an chuck about with worrying about…

…getting my 100mm Engima ti, which was a 40th B’day present scratched muddy, dull, worn etc.

Now the perfect bike has appeared in the classfieds. It’s wrong isnt it, I should just ride the Enigma. Right?

passtherizla
    Free Member

ooh no don’t get the enigma dirty! your initial reaction is of course the right one…. new bike time.

Kryton57

passtherizla – Member
    ooh no don’t get the enigma dirty! your initial reaction is of course the right one…. 6th bike time.

FTFY, Mrs kryton won’t be happy… 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    slackalice
    Free Member

It’s not wrong. It shows you care.

Go get it, have some fun and cherish both all 6 of them 🙂

edit..

mindmap3
    Free Member

I don’t see anything wrong with having a best bike…roadies do it all of the time.

Now I have a hardtail that I can actually cover some distance on, that’ll get used when it’s really muddy rather than my Rune.

TiRed

You have a Ti mtb that you won’t get muddy? I have a best road/race bike, but the mountain bike goes out in all conditions, regardless.

Stop being sentimental. If you buy the playbike and you like it more than the Enigma, it will cry. And you’ll then always be comparing them. It’s the reason why I have “the” mtb and several road bikes. They all serve different purposes.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Your stable needs:
    A CX Bike
    A Decent Roadie
    A Shagged Roadie/Commuter
    A 29er SS rigid
    A 650b HT 140mm up front
    A 650b/29er FS 160mm bouncer
    A Brompton 🙄
    A BMX
    A FatBike
    A Ratbike

Noooowwwwww…. go!

buck53

Horses for courses, innit.

My bikes are all for riding, not looking at so they all get ridden as and when the urge strikes me, I’m not interested in keeping them ‘for best’ (best what?).

That being said, I can’t afford Titanium frames and the like and don’t have any really nice bike gear, maybe I’d feel differently if I could but I suspect I wouldn’t.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Is the Ti just for looking at.. just walk into the garage, smile at it and flick the brakes.
    No.. It’s for riding… Just use it.

Kryton57

Being naturally indecisive I’d always be torn by

bikebouy – Member
    Your stable needs:
    A CX Bike – thinking about it
    A Decent Roadie – tick!
    A Shagged Roadie/Commuter – tick!
    A 29er SS rigid – well, 26er but – tick!
    A 650b HT 140mm up front – tempted
    A 650b/29er FS 160mm bouncer – gone for retro, asr5 – tick!
    A Brompton – wtf….
    A BMX – no thanks
    A FatBike – thought about it
    A Ratbike

And what Tired said.

Sigh

binners

Basically… if you haven’t hit your bike with a hammer in the last week or so, or ridden it straight into a tree, then its leading a ridiculously cosseted and pampered existence.

Every time I see some immaculate piece of bling (usually at a trail centre) I don’t think to myself ‘Wow! Look at that perfectly maintained and beautiful piece of kit”. No. I think “I wonder which mincing closet-roadie anal retentive owns that? And I wonder why they spend all that money to look at it, rather than ride it”

Get out and get it mucky and scratched you big numpty! Its what they’re built for! And it gives them character! 😀

You literally can’t tell what colour my bike is at the moment, its that filthy. Thats because it gets used. Whats the point in cleaning it? It got thrown in the shed after last nights ride, as I’ll be out on it again in the morning, where it’ll get even more filthy!

Yak

eh? Just ride the enigma – its only a bike! Get on with it. 🙂

emsz
    Free Member

Oh, I’m terrible for this. I don’t mind getting charlie* dirty, but afterwards he needs a wash and a oil

And if anything doesn’t work properly I nag at my dad until he fixes it. I don’t think he’s joking when he says he spends more time on my bike than he does on his

*his name, obvs 🙄

Yak

emsz – your bike has a name 😯 !

cynic-al
    Free Member

What are you likely to do to the “play bike”?…break it? Broken many mtb frames?

Just ride the Enigma, or stop pretending it’s about protecting that, you just want another bike.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

My pal and I both bought expensive bikes in the last few months – I got a Horsethief, he got a Fuel EX8.

He went out and bought all kinds of crazy cleaning products for it – shock spray, cassette spray etc.

Mine gets a hose down after each ride (as it lives in the hall of the flat), the thyres pumped up and the chain lubed every so often.

Interestingly, his is in worse nick than mine because he keeps crashing.

Just ride the bike. I’ve got a bunch of expensive guitars – all of them have dents and scratches from gigging.

fasthaggis

Kryton
    Next you will be saying that you don’t ride fast ,just in case you fall off and scratch it 🙄
    Now ,where will that all end,eh,eh ? 🙂

binners

Emsz earlier……

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDu7yYHxZr0[/video]

Kryton57

Just ride the Enigma, or stop pretending it’s about protecting that, you just want another bike.

Well er yes. I want a cheap hardcore ht for the above described duties, but also wanted to venture into 29ers. So I almost bought a ‘dale Trail, SS which would involve he sale of my 26er SS to fund, but was let down by a non appearing work commission payment. Now that’s arrived, a trek stache has appeared over there ——>. Or I could but a new ‘dale trail. Or a Karate Monkey, Unit or El Mar whose SS-ness warrants a difference over the Enigma.

Or I could buy. 16t for the rigid 26er which’d be more speed on the forest trials ones the mud clears up. But then I get back back into enigma territory.

😆

Kryton57

Worth re bearing the enigma is long and low at 100mm rather the high and 140mm.

timraven

I think “I wonder which mincing closet-roadie anal retentive owns that? And I wonder why they spend all that money to look at it, rather than ride it”

😆

Couldn’t put it better myself.

Kryton, if you want a new bike get one, but please don’t keep one “for best”

Yak

The stache looks good. If I were you, I’d go for the stache as it matches your brief, then if you like 29ers, you could sell the 26er ss and replace it with a cheap 2nd hand 29er ss. Win-win!

edit – none of this should stop the enigma getting muddy though…

amedias
    Free Member

scratched

it’s ti, it’ll polish out, besides, scratches add character

muddy

yes, it’s an MTB, that’ll happen, you could clean it (or not)

dull

what does this even mean? is it the same as dirty?

worn

again, that’ll happen if you ride it, either replace parts when worn or don’t buy such expensive parts if you don’t like the cost of replacing them*

*caveat for genuine race bikes, it’s allowed to save them for racing.

Having said that, I’ve been through this (I think we all have at some point) but you need to realise the reason you are feeling like that is because it’s a great bike, the next step is realising that great bikes need to be ridden, otherwise it’s not a great bike, it’s just a great ornament in the shape of a bike.

Look after it by all means but don’t fall into the trap of not actually enjoying it as a bike!

molgrips
    Free Member

getting my 100mm Engima ti, which was a 40th B’day present scratched muddy, dull, worn etc.

You big pansy. It’s a bike, that’s what happens to them. Ride it, maintain it, but don’t worry about the paintwork ffs.

Yak

Here you go – fixed thread opener:

I’ve found myself posting about a “play” bike on here many a time. And I think what I want is a bike I can go an chuck about with worrying about…

…getting my 100mm Engima ti, which was a 40th B’day present scratched muddy, dull, worn etc. how to get this sort highly essential purchase agreed by Mrs Kryton without recourse to ridiculous excuses to do with getting bikes muddy.

Now the perfect bike has appeared in the classfieds. It’s wrong isnt it, I should just ride the Enigma. Right? Right then you lot, give me some infallible justifications for this so my argument is utterly bombproof 🙂

Kryton57

Lol! and er accurate. Probably.

Dammit, I feel like popping out for a ride on it now, I’m wfh but I’ve 3hrs of work to do….

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Jesus, lordy.

Just. Ride. Your. Bike.

emsz
    Free Member

Of course he has a name!!

Next you’ll be saying that I shouldn’t be talking to him either!!

Crazy

seosamh77
    Free Member

so of you would have a heart attack if you seen some of the chibs my bike proudly shows off!:lol: kick hell out of it then buy a new bike every 5 years. sorted! 🙂

Kuco

Stop being a wuss, my Enigma gets covered in all manner of crap it all washes off.

rone

If it’s ti, can’t you just 3m the frame, it should look like new. Best thing about my ragley td1 is I can remove scratches.

leth
    Free Member

Bikes are for riding end of.
    If you want something to look at buy some art.

emsz – your bike has a name you have a bike 😯 ! 

Yak

Next you’ll be saying that I shouldn’t be talking to him either!!

Oh I talk to it – usually accusing it of getting heavier and more sluggish…….oh hold on.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Am I "nannying" my bike?’ is closed to new replies.