Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Am I middle aged?
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I am 36. Top end of being a millennial apparently… however approaching 40. Any other signs or clues?

rmacattack
    Free Member

wood burner, road bike , hardtail and carbon full susser. generic german lease car.

transporter13
    Free Member

What does middle aged involve… 38 and intrigued.

breadcrumb

I’m 38 but I don’t feel middle age.

thegreatape
    Free Member

40 this year, oldest child learning to drive, two small boys whose thought processes are utterly baffling despite me once being one, colleagues joining up who are one year older than my daughter and 21 years younger than me, woodburner, SS cx bike, white Toyota 7 seater.

I suspect I am middle aged.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

90 is a good life expectancy, yes?
    0-30, young.
    30-60, middle.
    60+, old.
    Your middle aged, sorry, deal with it. 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

38 and decided to swap continents again. Mid life or crisis? Who knows

dovebiker

53 on Monday, definitely over-the-hill

mariner
    Free Member

70 on Monday going on 23. They make me wear knee and elbow protectors though.
    Going down the gym later then a blast round the dog poo nature reserve.
    To paraphrase the old saying ‘God does not deduct from your life span the time you spend riding your bike’ so go ride and don’t worry.

andytherocketeer

they redefined middle age as starting at 55 a while back

ages to go yet

gerti
    Free Member

I’m 36 and I now make noises when I get up off the floor 🙁

colournoise

47 for another few weeks yet.

Went through the involuntary noises when getting up phase when I was about 45.

No longer do it. Should I be worried?

Don’t feel middle aged, so assume I’m not.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

If you have to ask…

PS wait until you get to 50 and still consider yourself ‘middle-aged’. At which point your boundless optimism has the likelihood of being at least as successful as your rapidly devolving hair and clothing styles.

sbob
    Free Member

Can you wheelie?
    If the answer is no, then you are middle aged.

metalheart
    Free Member

53 on Monday, definitely over-the-hil

Almost identical!

What age is ‘old’ these days? 😳

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Thought being able to wheelie was just a sign of being a teenager?

Speeder

sbob – Member
    Can you wheelie?

Only if you used to be able to but now can’t. If you’re about to learn, you’re not.

I’ve turned 46 last month and just bought myself a pair of these as a late Christmas present to myself in the sales:-

I believe it’s a crisis. 😆

thegreatape
    Free Member

Went through the involuntary noises when getting up phase when I was about 45.

No longer do it. Should I be worried?

The noises were farts. It’s not for me to speculate what might have replaced them.

breadcrumb

Can you wheelie?

Cool, I’m doing okay then.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

OP, yes you are middle aged but so long as you’re generally healthy you’re at the point where you can pretend that age is just a number for another few years.

And nothing screams middle aged like this phrase

a late Christmas present to myself in the sales

Regardless of what was bought the impetuousness of youth has gone replaced by patience and thriftiness.
    🙂

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Of course I can wheelie, what MTBer can’t? ….

I do however have 2 children and go to bed at 930pm.

No wood burner, but open fire.

I am on singletrackforum however.

So confused but I think overall….

taxi25
    Free Member

I kind of think middle age as I thing begins at about 45ish. If giving a description of someone aged 36 you wouldn’t say “middle aged”. I’m 57 and describe myself as middle aged. Not even thinking about the next step “old aged”.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

House, 2 kids, open fire, bed before 10.
    Don’t fight it, the freedom is in the acceptance. You are middle aged.

sbob
    Free Member

ghostlymachine – Member

Thought being able to wheelie was just a sign of being a teenager?

Jog on grandad.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I kind of think middle age as I thing begins at about 45ish. If giving a description of someone aged 36 you wouldn’t say “middle aged”. I’m 57 and describe myself as middle aged. Not even thinking about the next step “old aged”.

Snap Taxi….I know 57 sounds old,( I’m not quite there yet!)but I’m still mountain biking, running, skiing, play golf off 5 handicap, don’t take medication, so don’t feel old aged yet!

richmars

I’m 56 this year and I’m not even close to being middle aged.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I’m 36.
    Have a house, an MX5, some bikes, cats, a girlfriend and am doing an MSc.
    Play guitar in a band called AN4L BOIZ.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Middle aged 40-50 is my “definition”, I am just about 55 so not old as such but getting there 😐

footflaps

Surely old is whatever age you are plus 10 or 20.

taxi25
    Free Member

I’m 56 this year and I’m not even close to being middle aged.

Good man, thats the spirit 8)

zippykona

52 but still not grown up.
    It horrifies me when I find people my age are grandparents.
    I’d trust me to be responsible with a dog but another human being…not on your Nelly.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’m 56 this year and I’m not even close to being middle aged

True enough, you’re much closer to being a pensioner.

yossarian
    Free Member

45 y/o
    2 bikes, hardtail & bmx race cruiser
    No car
    No log burner
    No shits given

If this is middle age then I like it.

kayla1
    Free Member

43 here
    2 bikes- BFe and a BMX cruiser
    FKW van
    I enjoy making a racket with my guitar (punk’s not dead)
    no log burner but OH did build a pizza oven from an oil drum and a flagstone last summer 😆

I have no idea what I want to be when I grow up…

Frankenstein
    Free Member

41 years old 3 weeks ago.

Feel no different to when I was 26 except less hair and that is white! Plus don’t feel like sex 6 times anymore maybe 2-3 every 3 days but there is work to do than just reproduce.

Have 2 houses, dogs, cats, wife, kids grown up, one is a solicitor and the other a trainee doctor, couple of road bikes, mtbs, CX, 2 cars, motorbike, raise money for charity and thinking of leaving the country as the weather is crap.

You can’t take it with you. Friends and relatives dying from illness or old age. Which famous hero is next?

Worked bloody hard for it, but feel I have achieved bugger all.

I want my own business and a millionaire by 50.

Life is too short and I appreciate what I have and the sacrifices I made like driving rubbish cars in my 20/30’s. Started from bugger all and my parents were dumb/poor.

Money doesn’t make you happy? Really?

binners

Speeder – its a known fact that your taste in trainers enters a state of arrested development when you hit 18. My own embraces a full contingent of similar vintage Adidas and New Balance, and I’m the same age as you (and most definitely consider myself middle-aged/borderline codger)

Always view anyone your age who wears more up-to-date trainers with rightful suspicion

You do get extra middle-aged points for buying them in the sales. I buy my NB’s whenever I’m in the factory shop in Keswick 😀

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

When I was 18 I wore (primarily because they were in the sale bin and only a size too big)

And thought they might’ve looked a bit cool with the stretched skin-tight light-denim jeans

Must’ve hit ‘peak trend’ at 18 because since have I’ve worn mostly utilitarian boots and shoes, latterly with orthotic insoles. Trainers are now bought from Lidl because they fit and feel better than any branded ones I’ve paid quadruple for in the past on 1st podiatrist’s recommendations. Luckily found a better one who not only told me that the last one had mis-measured my feet, but that their advice for expensive trainers was not necessarily good advice. A well-fitting, well-ventilated pair with a wide-ish outer sole and toe-box are what work best. So I wear the Lidl specials at the gym, to the pool, on the bike in summer and for short walking exercise.

Wearing trainers for fashion purposes now seems a little odd to me, not really getting the rules re sports shoes, especially post-teenager. The ‘rules’ feel like someone trying to explain backgammon in Chinese, I just draw a blank/ imagine that it’s all a complicated cyclic mind-game just for the profit of the fashion industry

Defintely a suspicious character. Would have been called a ‘spak’ at school for wearing the wrong type of clothes and shoes. In fact I think I was! Especially for the knock-off (yet canvas) snorkel-a-like jacket that I was given to wear at school. All the proper kids had (similarly) unbranded only nylon, dark blue ones with orange lining. The stuck up gits.

Bla bla mutter mutter clothes and shoes. Hmph. (Reaches for pipe and sherry)

Yak

1, Peak fashion sense over 25 years ago – check
    2, Don’t care about 1 – check
    3, Get injured at the slightest sign of an unusual activity without a lengthy warm-up – check
    4, May be spotted in slippers outside – check

Yep, I’m full middle aged.

Drac

You’re 36 you’re 4 years off 40 a lot can happen before you hit 40, you’re not middle aged you’re still young. Enjoy at anytime it may end.

funkmasterp

I’m forty one soon. Two kids under four, no log burner, a Vauxhall Zafira and down to one bike (NS Rag+). Some days I feel like a teenager and others like a pensioner. The kids keep me young and make me feel ancient in equal measure

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Am I middle aged?’ is closed to new replies.