Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Am I making myself feel rubbish ?
  • simmy
    Free Member

95 % of the time I feel great, lots of energy and alert but, occasionally, I have a really bad Day / half Day where I feel like I’ve sink a dozen Vodkas.

I am beginning to wonder if its my Diet which is doing it as I don’t drink so its not that. I’m probably answering my own question but, last night I did 1hr 15 on the Road bike and covered 18.5 miles, obviously that’s not a mega pace and I know I’m slow but I wasn’t pushing it to achieve that.

I hadn’t eaten much just breakfast of banana and some Special K, lunch was a Turkey Salad Barm and I had a couple of slices of Black Pudding before I went out on the Bike. Felt a bit tired but went anyway and chucked a couple of gels in the pocket and had these on the ride.

So 2 gels and about half a bottle of orange cordial on that ride, had a Salmon pasta Salad when i got home and this morning I felt like death, only mangaged to eat a Banana and had a couple of Coffees went work and felt sick. Got home about 2 pm and threw up.

I’ve been eating less as I’m trying to shift a bit of stomach fat so I’m wondering if anyone has an ideas if I was simply dehydrated, not eaten enough or could it be a combination of the gels and the Black Pudding. ( writing this now in hindsight it sounds disgusting )

Anyone else suffer like this or any suggestions as to whether I’d just bonked bad or anything. Felt fine on the ride.

Cheers

loddrik
    Free Member

Sounds like you might have Necrasiffs Meganoma.

I’ve no idea what it is as I’ve just made it up.

bearnecessities

95 % of the time I feel great

Do you know how lucky you are?!

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

So 2 gels and about half a bottle of orange cordial on that ride, had a Salmon pasta Salad when i got home and this morning I felt like death, only mangaged to eat a Banana and had a couple of Coffees went work and felt sick. Got home about 2 pm and threw up.

I got like this around 11 years ago. Was feeling sick every day, and throwing up a bit. Was worried that i had stomach cancer or something.

Ditched the girlfriend and suddenly it stopped. Is there something underlying that is stressing you out?

lucien

Black pudding before a ride! I’d suggest something a bit more carby, like a banana, toast, light roll (barm) with limited filling ie no mayo, butter, anything fatty.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It could be the gels. I really don’t get on well with simple sugars like that.

jekkyl

Get more sleep

matt_outandabout

?How much booze? How much coffee? How much water?

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

Sugar

edhornby

very low on carbs, which you need for excercise, maybe some porridge before a ride or a brown bread roll with a bit of nutella during the ride instead of gels. don’t neglect veg and fruit either

jekkyl

Smoke weed during rides, it might not help but you’ll care less.

crikey
    Free Member

You poor thing, sounds like you need a bit of a lie down.

Sweet jesus, from the country that won them world wars, we ain’t half gone down hill.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I got like this around 11 years ago. Was feeling sick every day, and throwing up a bit. Was worried that i had stomach cancer or something.

Ditched the girlfriend and suddenly it stopped. Is there something underlying that is stressing you out?

Manky fanny batter?

joemarshall
    Free Member

Surely if you’re chucking up the next day, you must have eaten something that was off or disagreed with you for some reason. Or you have some kind of tummy bug? Dodgy fish or something. At least I’ve never heard of people chucking up due to exercise a day after the exercise.

Oh, on an unrelated note, 2 gels and a load of squash on an 18 mile 1 hour ride? That’s tons to eat just for an hour. I doubt most people would even bother eating on a 1 hour ride, it’s only an hour without eating.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

You staying properly hydrated? I tend to feel pretty poor if I don’t drink at least 2 litres of water a day, with 3 litres being optimal for me.

lapierrelady

I would agree about the gels being unsettling…used them once during a race out of desperation. The result was not pleasant, and I have since returned to bars, ride shots and ham sandwiches! I don’t bother with food for exercise of less than an hour, but make sure there is something pretty quick to make once I get home. Have you tried doing some core work, sit ups etc to redistribute yourself rather than starvation?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Try kicking out bread/gluten out of your diet for a few weeks, then dairy products to check if you’re gluten or lactose intolerant. A colleague at work had similar symptoms (though felt a bit dreary more than 5% of the time), after may years and wasted visits to his doctor, did this and it turns out he’s lactose intolerant. He’s full of beans now.

Also is it seasonal? I’ve started to develop mild hayfever symptoms over the past couple of years, and one of the symptoms is that I have a feeling of a lack of energy and lethargy. An antihistamine can help. For me it seems to be rape seed pollen in particular, a bit of a problem as i’m surrounded by rape seed fields.

bloodynora
    Free Member

Two bits of advice from my old man might help, he was always good with words…. ‘Are you a man or a mouse’
    And…. ‘Pull yourself together for ****sake’

HTH 😉

wallop

I wouldn’t really have thought gels were necessary for a 90 minute ride – praps try without them next time. Maybe eat some nuts before or during if you get peckish.

If you’re trying to shift stomach fat, lay off the carbs – I think there is quite a bit of evidence to suggest the consumption of carbohydrates encourages the body to store fat around your waist.

aracer
    Free Member

Personally I don’t have a problem with gels – actually come to think of it I was ill after about 12 hours of a 24 hour race 3 times in a row (3 times in 4 years, I missed one year). Fine for shorter than that, but I have to wonder if it was the gels/energy drink I was mainly subsisting on causing the problem. I have to admit I actually had similar problems going back years on longer races when I tended to survive on gels/energy drink for the first 12 hours or so. Tried switching brand, but it didn’t seem to help, and given I never went that long in training, kind of hard to debug. The trouble being that at the intensity I tend to do that sort of event at it’s very hard to stomach anything else.

Though for the OP, I don’t see any need at all to take food on an hour and a quarter ride – just make sure your carb stores are full before you ride (which given your diet they may well not have been).

piemonster

and some Special K

Well, that’s an unusual thing to take for brekkie. Do you get whacked up on that stuff every morning?

Dibbs
    Free Member

I was feeling worse and worse as the day went on today, by half six I was ready to go to bed, but instead I went for a quick 17 mile road ride.
    Six Strava PR’s and on one climb I improved my place from 21st to 5th.
    I feel so much better now.

BTW as far as diet goes I’m living on a diet of mostly Tesco’s Strawberry Trifle due to cancer treatment on my neck earlier in the year making eating unpleasant.

My tip to the OP would be “cut out the salad” its only any use to rabbits.

piemonster

Dibbs, have you tried baby food yet?

The mushy stuff you get in jars.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

95 % of the time I feel great, lots of energy and alert but, occasionally, I have a really bad Day / half Day where I feel like I’ve sink a dozen Vodkas.

Welcome to the real world

So 2 gels and about half a bottle of orange cordial on that ride,

For a one hour ride on top of a pretty substantial amount of food through the day! No wonder you felt like crap. No need for additional food for a 1 hr ride.

How long had the black pudding and salmon pasta been in the fridge for? Sounds more like you ate something dodgy rather than not eating enough.

oldgit
    Free Member

Are you regular?

Ditch the gels, just no need. Black pudding before a ride…that’s just weird. You’ve had brekie and lunch and you’re having tea after your ride. So no need for anything but some water.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Toughen up Buttercup.

beefheart
    Free Member

Is it morning sickness?

Karinofnine

In no particular order:

1x the event is not enough evidence, you need to replicate the experiment until a pattern emerges, then change one thing at a time.

Sick the next day? IME tummies expel dodgy food/drink pretty much immediately via one end or the other.

Good 95% of the time? Lucky you.

It’s natural to have peaks and troughs in emotion/energy.

Agreed re hayfever, lots of people I know are experiencing symptoms for the first time in their lives.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Bunnyhop

BTW as far as diet goes I’m living on a diet of mostly Tesco’s Strawberry Trifle due to cancer treatment on my neck earlier in the year making eating unpleasant.

dibbs sorry to hear this. hope everything is o.k with you now.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Too much protein wont help i.e. the black pudding.

How concentrated in the cordial? Weak or strong? If its too strong thats only going to sit on top of the black pudding – those two alone could quite easily give you a gastric upset.

How fresh was the Salmon Pasta? That could have made you sick. As could being dehydrated & too much coffee upset the gut.

karen805
    Free Member

Cordial makes me feel queezy when exercising, I stick to water, or adding a hydro tab to water.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Am I making myself feel rubbish ?’ is closed to new replies.