Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Am I mad?
  • ndthornton
    Free Member

I have felt the need to build a bike for some time as I haven’t done one for a while now. The trouble is the type of bike I want to build seems a bit mad – and I haven’t seen anyone riding such a beast which may mean it will be a dog. There are many arguments to not build this bike but for some reason I still want to do it?

Bike is as follows…..

short travel slopestyle frame (100mm ish travel) with a concentric BB and sliding dropouts so I can run it SS with no tensioner. Something like the NS Soda but with less travel.

I’m only 5’9 but I’ll get a large to make it more suitable for trail riding. I will run an air shock and keep the pressure quite high to stop it bobbing as this type of frame will no doubt be prone to do (I only want to take the edge off the hits).

Alfine 8 rear wheel with some sort of mid weight rim and as small as possible chainring (where I ride its very steep with no flat sections ).

Maverick SC forks with associated 24mm front wheel – 120mm upsidedown goodness.

Dropper post of some description – probably KS i950 as these have yet to let me down (if it will fit the frame of course).

Everything else will be pretty standard equipment.

I realize it wont be the best uphill or downhill but I have bikes to do both of these already – im hoping this new one will sit somewhere in the middle.

So – am I mad??

chakaping
    Free Member

You certainly don’t like doing things the easy way.

I’m not qualified to comment on your mental health though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I realize it wont be the best uphill or downhill but I have bikes to do both of these already – im hoping this new one will sit somewhere in the middle.

Ideal for towpaths?

Probably just interesting…

I will run an air shock and keep the pressure quite high to stop it bobbing as this type of frame will no doubt be prone to do

Just get something with proper pro pedal tuned to the frame.

I guess your after something like this with dropper & gears?

Saw one on the weekend and it looked nice (in a not riding up the hill sort of a way)

ndthornton
    Free Member

That looks interesting!
    What is it?

swamptin
    Free Member

You might also want to have a look at the Blackmarket Killswitch. Beautiful bike that, I’ve always wanted one.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

it’s a specialized slopestyle

ndthornton
    Free Member

Ah the Kill switch is beautiful and would be ideal – Iv almost discounted it though unfortunately due to cost. I cant really spend more than a grand (Mostly second hand of course)

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Something like the NS Soda but with less travel.

You want 100mm, the Soda Slopestyle has 107mm.

You’re a tough cat to please.

ndthornton
    Free Member

You want 100mm, the Soda Slopestyle has 107mm

My bad – I thought it had way more than that……

cloudnine
    Free Member

I ride something similar… a Dartmoor shine but have geared it. It has horizontal dropouts though, 100mm x fusion rear shock.
    I was running some 100mm RS argyles but just stuck some revs on it to see how it goes with more travel.
    I’m short so can get away with sitting pedalling up the hills. Edit… Picture added below. Paid £400 2nd hand for the frame and shock.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Kona Cowan DS? CRC had some old frames they were selling off a while ago.
    I’ve got a Kona A with Maverick SC32s – concentric BB and USD forks seem to be a good combo!
    I know there’s a couple of A/Cowans kicking around with Alfines and Rohloffs. I’ve thought about putting my Rohly on theA but haven’t got around to it. Besides, its too much fun running SS lightwieght.

concentric BB also means belt-drive is possible…

cloudnine
    Free Member

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

My bad – I thought it had way more than that……

There’s two flavours of the Soda, one with 180mm and a regular sort of single pivot rear end, and the Slopestyle which gets shorter travel & concentric pivot.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Cheers for all the info
    Soda now an option
    Dartmoor too!

Trouble is these bikes are hard to find second hand

cookeaa

Theres a few options especially if you go looking for some 2nd hand older slopestyle bikes:

The old cove hooker:

Kona Cowan FS:

or the Kona Bass:

DMR bolt:

Dartmoor Shine:

And the others posted already…

thepodge
    Free Member

I had exactly that till a few months ago

Commencal absolut sx with alfine & dropper, I’ll see if I can find a pic

ndthornton
    Free Member

Another question…..

Half the reason for wanting some rear wheel travel would be to help protect the Alfine a bit from landings – big hits etc – since its really only a touring part!

But will this actually help since the hub is un-sprung mass?
    Will the hub experience the same impact forces as if it were on a hard tail or will they be damped?

Obviously the hub is not isolated from impacts like the rider but for some reason I cant help thinking rear suspension should help somehow??

thepodge
    Free Member

Here is mine (cant seem to show images from skydrive)

I dont have it any more, I ended up having to run a tensioner as the dropouts weren’t long enough to accommodate my chain & figured if that was the case then there was no reason to be riding a frame that was too small and weighed loads.

thepodge
    Free Member

As far as I’m aware this is the full list of every BB pivot frame

24 Bicycles Flextoy
    Blackmarket Killswitch
    Commencal Absolut SX
    Cove G Spot
    Dartmoor Shine
    Descendence Lovemachine
    DMR Bolt
    Doberman Le Pink
    Edge Blade
    Edge DH 1
    Fire Eye Match
    Kona A
    Kona Bass
    Kona Cowan
    Lenz Milkmoney
    Macmahone Kingdom
    NS Soda Slope
    Oneghost Wakazashi
    Solid Flair
    Specialized P.Slope
    Tank Hone
    Tank T-Works

ndthornton
    Free Member

I built it!
    Not quite to the original idea but not far off
    thanks for the help everyone

shermer75
    Free Member

How is it?

honourablegeorge

Can’t help thinking 2kg of Alfine hub would ruin a bike like that

shermer75
    Free Member

I think it looks good. It’s a Commencal, right?

LoCo
    Free Member

No not bad in concept, tuned shock will get it to pedal better, only question I’d have is the fork, which is a touch flexy in comparison to what will be a pretty stiff frame.

ndthornton
    Free Member

So far so good!
    Iv taken it round my local trails and Coed y Brenin so far and its performed flawlessly. Its a bit heavy but to honest that’s more to do with the frame – its bullet proof!

It doesn’t feel at all dead though and flows over the bumps just like any other full susser Iv had. Im not sure what the Alfine would be like on a hard tail but on this it works really well.

It does bob more than i’m used to when climbing but not excessively so – just more than my Mondraker. That has propedal though so Im probably going to change the shock when I get round to it.

Havent launched off anything yet so cant comment on jumpability – but from the way it rides I wont be apprehensive about doing so.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Yip – Commencal absolut

The fork was a bit of a nostalgic touch. I run fox these days but my first decent forks were Marzocchi Z1s and I loved them. These are 2006 – Z1 SL Doppio Air and really helped to keep the costs down 🙂

LoCo
    Free Member

Sorry, was refering to the OP 😳 and the Maverick usd fork, should learn to read the whole thread IGMC 😉

Holding out for a xl/l bottlerocket frame to come up sometime for a ‘play’ bike.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Yeah – Unfortunately the Maverick fork had to go when I decided on the 140mm frame 🙂

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

probably KS i950 as these have yet to let me down

You are a lucky bunny! Or you don’t ride your bike?

ndthornton
    Free Member

Must be lucky I guess – I have another on my Mondraker that’s done 3 Megavelanche’s

ndthornton
    Free Member

…actually thats probably 2

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Exact. I like it. 😉

I only mock because I had to strip my i900 every month. Not a huge job, just an annoying faff. There’s a very good chance that things improved for the i950 (I would have hoped so).

ndthornton
    Free Member

I had the i900 too
    I know what you mean – not the greatest
    i950 supernatural is niiiiice though

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I joined the great unwashed and bought a Reverb. Which reminds me – I really should take it apart at some point…

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Am I mad?’ is closed to new replies.