Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Am I going to die tonight…..? (Bivvy content)
  • DrP

Hooning rain – check
    50mph gusts – check
    Sleeping under a single skin tarp – check….!

Had a bivvy night tonight planned for a long time – my group’s last one before christmas…
    I can handle to cold, but the rain is just, well, wet..!!

At least I’ve got this culinary delight planned for tea!!

Roast Camembert and Breadsticks for starter.
    Sirloin, cous cous, and steamed veg for main.
    Chocolate dusted almonds as desert…

Why eat rubbish when you’re cold and wet!

Wish me luck!

DrP

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Where abouts? What bivvy bag? What sleeping bag?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Good man!!
    Enjoy.

ampthill

I do have a big bivvy urge.

But i was going to pick my day. Best of luck

Die, probably not. But I’d think about falling branches

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Whereabouts?

Stoopid cold and frozen solid here in Derbyshire this morniing.

Oh….Good Luck!

DezB
    Free Member

Why wait for summer, when you can be a fool in winter? Good luck!

martinhutch

Needs more dried shittake mushrooms.

sandwicheater

Concerned I see no booze in the photo.

weeksy

What’s the logic behind the plan ? Doesn’t seem like a great idea to me in all honesty.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Top tip, go anywhere except the summit of Benarty Hill.

Last night, ice, snow and a howling wind. Not my picture, I was snug by the stove.

wwaswas

The wild man of West Sussex waits for nights like this before he roams the South Downs looking for victims.

You’ll probably be fine.

Although having ridden around Stanmer in hail, rain and mud last night I don;t envy you spending a night out if it’s a repeat this evening.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

weeksy – Member
    What’s the logic behind the plan ? Doesn’t seem like a great idea to me in all honesty.

You sound fun.

weeksy

I’m a fun kind of guy… but i’m struggling to get sleeping under a tarp in winter

I can do a dance for you naked apart from a Santa hat if that helps my fun factor ?

scaredypants

My guess – yes, you’ll die

Botulism

but at least you’ll have no wrinkles

wwaswas

I can do a dance for you naked apart from a Santa hat if that helps my fun factor ?

that’s one for the gifs you could watch all day thread!

[edit] perhaps not.

😉

DrP

What’s the logic behind the plan ?

We haven’t yet bivvied in December, and one of our lot could only make tonight…
    I blame him (Tommo…) personally.

DrP

DrP

The wild man of West Sussex waits for nights like this before he roams the South Downs looking for victims.

Shhh, you’ll scare my victims friends away..

DrP

wwaswas

Based on your Strava segments I reckon he’ll get Jimbo first if you have to start your get away with an uphill ride so make sure you camp at the bottom of a bowl 😉

geoffj

If M&S did bivying…. 😀

Have fun!

29erKeith
    Free Member

proper cold\snow\ice bivy in winter any day over a damp spring\autumn for me any time. As long as your warm enough in your bag you’ll be fine.

Enjoy!

maxray
    Free Member

Had intended on doing all the solstices (solsti?) this year but only managed the summer one… On my list for next year.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

Ainsley Harriott??

It won’t kill you but it won’t be pleasant.

faustus

It sounds like great fun, but i’d urge caution: let the conditions dictate when you go out, and I think they’re saying don’t bother! The weather looks pretty terrible, and although you’ll probably be fine, if you do get into trouble you’ll be in a worse position than if the weather was OK. Also, good luck keeping your stove going in 50mph winds to cook that lump of meat!

peachos
    Free Member

Have you tried those cous cous packets then? cheap, quick & tasty. perfect i’d say.

good luck for tonight, you could be up for a cracker. some lovely mornings this week, though our weds night ride was well off the grim-o-meter…

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve just looked at the weather forecast for the South Downs…sheeesh! It’s bloody warmer than we get in spring! Lows of 10 degrees!!!!!!

MTFU 😉

townydc
    Free Member

Lashed it down in Kent last night half way round our normal weekly ride, still got wet with waterproof gear on, good luck sleeping out if it rains, can’t wait to hear the report, and see some pics too?

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

Have you tried those cous cous packets then? cheap, quick & tasty

No on principal. I suspect you are right on two counts. However, the op is excused on the grounds of not having an oven this evening.

warton
    Free Member

if you do get into trouble you’ll be in a worse position than if the weather was OK

This. think of the worst case scenario, and then factor in the weather

peachos
    Free Member

No on principal. I suspect you are right on two counts. However, the op is excused on the grounds of not having an oven this evening.

give em a try, they’re not that bad!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Some folk must have an odd definition of the word ‘fun’. In my fancy lectronic dictionary it says ‘light hearted amusement (for) enjoyment’.
    Looks more like something you’d do in an absolute dire emergency to me!

Who do you think you are, Ranulph Fiennes?

Still, whatever floats your boat. (& I do admire your sense of adventure btw, cos mine used to be like that, a bit.) 🙂

Houns

Enjoy!

instanthit
    Free Member

Cant say wild mushroom is the best Ainsley Harriot meal, the dhal comes up better, and spicy for the cold nights.
    Dont forget dry socks, even more important than alcohol!!
    Enjoy.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Good choice of food..
    These are my current favourites while out.

Northwind

Those Look What We Found bags are all ace… Can cook them in the bag too, though, I always kind of expect that to end in disaster if I’m honest!

spacemonkey

Hmm, quite fancy doing a bit of bivvying myself. Can’t be jaffed at this time of year though. Looking forward to camping out with the chimp when he hits school age.

pb2

Best of luck, nothing ventured, nothing gained.We survived (just) Stu’s ” Bear Bones Welsh Krimbo bimble) last Sat/Sun. The driving rain and very high winds did not relent until gone 20.00 and we set off at 12.30. Even in a dense pine forest trying to set up that level of wind and rain was a lesson in keeping calm & collected when your body and brain were hell bent on shutting down for the evening. Once I got under cover, changed my clothes and got the first round of hot food/liquids inside I started to come to terms with the weather. The rain provided a good supply of fresh water :-). Once in my bag, temp wise all was good but waking up at 02.00 to find a small puddle had formed around me was not my happiest recollection, ditto 09.00 Sunday wringing out drenched riding clothes (fresh base layer was the only dry item)to then put on and instantly start to chill was also a low point. To add insult to injury, Sunday started out clear but very windy, windy enough to have to pedal down hills but as the wind speed reduced the rain came back. I have never been happier to get back in my old x-trail and get the heated seats on and head for home.

Apparently its all character building ! Enjoy and please let us know how you got on.

fergal
    Free Member

Why? you are not trying to be the first to reach the south pole, or climb the north face of the Eiger, that’s the whole point of a bivy, it’s a means to an end, you suffer because you have to.
    I must admit the risk adverse, going to sleep behind Tescos in a field is rather amusing, a bit like children spending the night in a tent in their own backyard, bless.

jekkyl

Op, how are you cooking the meat?

DrP

if you do get into trouble you’ll be in a worse position than if the weather was OK

Well, yes, I suppose so. But that applies to car journeys, roller coaster rides, and promenade walks too….

Why…? it’s fun going camping with friends. It’s fun testing your gear and tenacity agains nature. It’s fun making camping gear (bags, stoves etc) and using them where they ‘should’ be used….

Really it’s grown(ish) men playing Boy Scouts with knives and fire…
    It just so happens this is the only night available we can all come out to play…..

DrP

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Am I going to die tonight…..?

The bloke who only brought a pot noodle may kill you for the steak

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Am I going to die tonight…..? (Bivvy content)’ is closed to new replies.