Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Am I going mad? Silverfish in mug content
  • Pook

Over the last few months there’s been silverfish spotted here and there. Now it seems that they have a liking for my desk, and more locally, my mug.

My mug is clean and my desk is tidy, but over about the last six months on three seperate occasions, I’ve come in to find a silverfish in my mug.

Today my mug was in a clean bowl,  balanced on top of a spoon. Basically there’s a contact patch between bowl and mug of about half a centimetre.

Now, unless I’m seeing things and this silverfish doesn’t exist, I’m supposed to believe that it’s climbed up on to my desk, up the smooth sides outside the bowl, round to the smooth side of my mug and then dropped into my mug.

And then not been able to get out again.

That, or it’s parachuted from the ceiling.

My workmates swear it wasn’t them (and they’d have been itching to see my reaction anyway), and the only other people who have access to our office are cleaners/facilities and security.

So am I going mad, is someone taking the piss or do silverfish see my mug as some everest style challenge to overcome?

legend
    Free Member

I’m just hear to see the confusion between Silverfish and Silverfish

anono

I can see this being the start of a classic STW thread – watching with interest.

petec
    Free Member

i was always taught silverfish can jump, so they’re obviously playing tiddly winks with your mug. Presumably then the enclosed (ish) mug stops them jumping out again

also (bearing in mind their subclass)

Apterygotes, however, have the demonstrated capacity for directed, aerial gliding descent from heights. It has been suggested by researchers that this evolved gliding mechanism in apterygotes might have provided an evolutionary basis from which winged insects would later evolve the capability for powered flight

orangespyderman

mug stops them jumping out again

need more of a run up?

petec
    Free Member

need more of a run up?

more likely the angle

DezB
    Free Member

That Lesley Rankine really gets around eh?

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Did they have any offers on Raceface??

neilwheel
    Free Member

Why don’t you put the bowl upside down on top of the mug?

That way the silverfish can run around all over your eating utensils, but you will never know that they have been there!

DezB
    Free Member

Found this… excellent 😀

Image titled Get Rid of Silverfish Step 3

IdleJon

Are they using cocktail sticks to pole-vault in?

Rubber_Buccaneer

or it’s parachuted from the ceiling.

Maybe?  When I was refurbishing my house (and lights etc weren’t fitted) a massive spider, leg span just bigger than the top of a coffee mug, managed to fall from the hole for the ceiling light fitting straight into my other half’s mug.  Made a ‘ting’ off the mug as it went in and it, like your silverfish, couldn’t get out. She hates spiders.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Imprison them in your mug and buy a new one.

HTHs

bearnecessities

IdleJon

Or set up another identical mug-bowl-spoon combo to find out if it also attracts silverfish. Maybe several spread around the office.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m just hear

Wear?

vickypea
    Free Member

Put a blob of paint on him before you tip him out of your mug and then you will be able to tell if it’s the same one that’s determined to take up residence there.

scaredypants

their, they’re on the stare

funkmasterp

Can you ask when they’re going to start restocking the Formula Cura brake set?

GrahamS

I used to see silverfish all the time when I paid a late night visit to the bog in our old house (wooden floorboards with nice gaps between them and plenty of skin detritus to feast on).

Never really bothered me. They don’t do any harm do they?

It was certainly more interesting to watch them than reading the back of the bleach bottle whilst wincing through a nocturnal purging.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

their, they’re on the stare

Eau, eye sea.

jimmy748

“Today my mug was in a clean bowl,  balanced on top of a spoon. Basically there’s a contact patch between bowl and mug of about half a centimetre.”

How do you balance a bowl and mug on top of a spoon?

funkmasterp

and the only other people who have access to our office are cleaners/facilities and security.

And Silverfish, although not people.

rene59
    Free Member

They can jump up to 12″ high apparently!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Two options for you:

senorj

Turn the mug upside down, that will put them in their plaice.

Pook

How do you balance a bowl and mug on top of a spoon

The spoon was in the bowl. The mug atop the spoon. The dish had runaway alone, and the cow jumped over the moon.

Pook

Turn the cup upside down, that will put them in their plaice.

sounds a bit fishy to me.

sirromj

It must be in tune with your mug. I have no doubt it got in there, they’re known for their mojo.

Cougar

They’re attracted to damp cardboard apparently.  Is your mug made of cardboard?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Am I going mad? Silverfish in mug content’ is closed to new replies.