Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Am I digging myself a hole? Possible legal content!…
  • grahamt1980

Extra zero or 2? Nah this deserves an arsehole tax of at least 3 extra zeros

jhinwxm
    Free Member

So not only did you cave to meaningless and most likely empty legal threats you also did the work for free? Have you lost your mind? Have you always been a doormat? Honestly I couldn’t believe what I was reading.

The only two words that should have been said start with an F and end in off.

You should read the internet is a playground by David Thorne – mainly for some tips on how to deal with cretins like this. Or just read this from his site; https://27bslash6.com/p2p2.html

Caher

Classic scope creep. Get it in writing exactly their requirements (quantities etc) then work to this.
    Hire a bouncer for the day.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scuttler

Yeah sorry OP, you need to seriously consider how you define ‘easy life’. Working for free for unreasonable people is definitely not it. Do what Caher says on scope definition. You know your business so you know how to define the ‘deliverables’ and where you can negotiate / discount / give away / charge a premium in order to motivate people to spend more, bring more work or be more profitable.

the-muffin-man

Thanks for your thoughts – I’ve been in this trade 35 years so I know how to do my job and how to cost things. I’m not in it to maximise profits and ‘deliverables’. I come in, do my job to the best of my ability and go home.

Sometimes I am too soft though and try and please too many people. But just today I’ve turned 4 people away who ‘urgently’ needed work for tomorrow. I need a magic time tree! 🙂

I’ve had no further correspondence from my customer so far, but they’ll no doubt be bashing away at their keyboard this weekend.

wbo
    Free Member

If he really wants to play verbal contract only do what was agreed, the extra pages are outside the contract.

You can choose not to do them or apply a special rate for uncontracted work

** Oops, should read page 2…

Duggan

Yes you can have a verbal contract, no he’s not going to be able to prove it. You can accidently make a contract through email correspondence which is more likely to happen these days and of course is easier to demonstrate.

Either way though if it was me I wouldn’t waste any more time on it, you’re not going to end up in the Hague.

matt_outandabout

Am I digging myself a hole?

Yes.

Possible legal content!…

No. No it’s not.

mattyfez

Yeah.. Assuming you did have a verbal contact.. If it ended up in court it would be a he said/she said argument so it wouldn’t get that far, you could have the case thrown out on that basis alone.

But it sounds like even if you did have a viable verbal contract, additional pages or proof reading or whatever it it you do would technically be a breach of said contract.

You’ve given this person more than enough good will. If I’ve read correctly you didn’t even charge him for the last batch of work?

He’d just get laughed out of court if it even got that far.. As I suggested you could have the case thrown out for no basis/abuse of process before it even got to a hearing.

Just don’t deal with him any more. Tell him to file a case against you and then slam the door /phone in his face… I’d wager you’d never hear from him again.

Cletus
    Free Member

From what you have said OP the worst he is likely to do is post some dodgy reviews about your business. That would not be pleasant but, given you seem to have more work than you can cope with at the moment, would they have any impact?

It might be worth putting something in place to record calls and maybe even CCTV in your premises so that you have a record of any conversations if this chancer calls or visits you again but I would not spend much doing so.

Do you know owners of similar businesses in your area? – if yes it might be worth warning them about how this guy behaves.

sparksmcguff

Can we be clear here. When the armchair lawyers amongst us are referring to Arkell vs Pressdram I take it we’re referring to the reply from Pressdram to Arkell? The advice to the op being to tell his (ex) customer to 🦊trot off.

argee

In our work we had to have training due to the issue of verbal agreements, but as others say, there is no explicit offer and acceptance, and there is no witness, it’s just another idiot trying to scare you into doing what they want, thinking of this, i’ve not heard the term ‘without prejudice or commitment’ at a meeting in ages now 😂

FB-ATB

If you told him it was FOC to his face only, I’d play him at his own game and now send an invoice.

After payment time has elapsed go through the small claims court. If he was going to go legal he would have done it by now, he’s just bluffing.

alexandersmith

Back when I used to have to deal with the Great Unwashed on a daily basis and they claimed they ‘knew their rights’, I frequently had to remind them they were ignorant of their responsibilities.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

So not only did you cave to meaningless and most likely empty legal threats you also did the work for free? Have you lost your mind? Have you always been a doormat? Honestly I couldn’t believe what I was reading

This.

And wtf are you now sending him emails? The last thing you should be doing is giving this kipper ammunition. The more you write ( email) the more opportunities you have to hand him your arse on a plate.
    Stop emailing him. Just tell him you are doing no more work for him.

onehundredthidiot

Should be easy enough to supply a “quote” based on what you’ve been told and make it punitive beyond that. Eg £100 for 100pages from a single document scanned and converted to PDF. Any pages/documents will be charged at £10 per page.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

You should read the internet is a playground by David Thorne – mainly for some tips on how to deal with cretins like this. Or just read this from his site; https://27bslash6.com/p2p2.html

Absolutely. Brilliant.

Thank you 😃

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.