Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Am i being unfair – Postage cost question
  • bland

Having sold a frame on ebay, the buyer lives in some wee village in teh far west of Scotland so the courier costs are £20 + VAT.

My ad said £14.99 so i have asked for another fiver to cover costs (well make up costs as it turns out as i thought it was £15+VAT but its changed since last time).

No response what so ever, so not sure if im being ignored or what but i first asked on the 12th.

Surely if you live in the sticks you cant expect someone else to pay for that for you and i shouldn’t have to charge everyone £25 just on teh off chance that the buyer does live in the middle of nowhere.

geoffj

Royal Mail don’t charge different prices. You should be able to send it by parcelforce for less than £15.

Drac

You stated the price in the deal, that’s what you charge him.

jota180
    Free Member

If you quoted £14.99 you should suck it up

nickjb
    Free Member

Lots of sellers specify higher postage cost for bits of Scotland. I’d say if you didn’t then asking for more is a bit off.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Name of wee village ?

This boils my piss as my postcode a low ab code pings up as highlands an islands often. If someone uses a courier that wants to charge me more i just cancel the order.

guitarhero
    Free Member

Yes, you are being unfair.

matt_outandabout

Use Royal mail, it will cost less. Suck it up.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Surely if you live in the sticks you can expect an ebay seller to stick to the postage price he’s said he’d charge you?

RustyMac

Not sure if you are serious???
    Most people on eBay seem to charge the postage as high as possible to re-coupe some of the fees or to account for this kind of thing.
    If you advertised you would post it for that price you should honor it.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Is it illegal for companies to charge more for different post codes yet?

What is the village called?

ciderinsport
    Free Member

fifteen quid for a frame!

http://www.parcel2go.com/ whole bike for less normally!

(no idea on final destination etc!)

matt_outandabout

Is it illegal for companies to charge more for different post codes yet

I wish, we regularly get parcels delivered to Ardeonaig, as to get them delivered to Ardgour can result in huuuuge price hikes.

bland

Its a place called Mallaig, parcelforce dont deliver there according to Parcel 2 Go, its Yodel or nothing.

So in short, i put up whatever i charge people for postage on the off chance that someone in the sticks buys something, thus making a profit off everyone.

So im really being unfair asking for the COST price (well less) for postage. Its not like ebay has an option for UK, Europe, ROW and the sticks is it?

bruneep

Yes, Aberdeen is viewed as in the highlands of scotland by some companies. I to have been asked to pay extra as I stay in a remote part of Scotland. 🙄

cynic-al
    Free Member

ciderinsport – Member

dream on sister. They charge by volume these days.

DT78
    Free Member

I suck it up if postage turns out more than I asked for, as other times I make a little and no one has ever asked for a refund. Roughly balances in the long run.

cynic-al
    Free Member

bland – Member
    Its a place called Mallaig, parcelforce dont deliver there according to Parcel 2 Go, its Yodel or nothing.

So in short, i put up whatever i charge people for postage on the off chance that someone in the sticks buys something, thus making a profit off everyone.

So im really being unfair asking for the COST price (well less) for postage. Its not like ebay has an option for UK, Europe, ROW and the sticks is it?

I think it has an option for “postage at cost”?

Can’t you just post it via PF? Aren’t they obliged to post everywhere in UK?

bland

Thats irrelevant anyway as even a shoe box would cost the same, plus they never check sizes IME

druidh
    Free Member

Bollox. Parcelforce deliver to Mallaig and according to their website it’s the same cost anywhere in the UK

convert

In future add a note in the description to large items that are more cost effective to not send by RM/Parcelforce that you reserve the right to charge more postage if overseas/highlands and islands.

It’s a right pain though – some of the post codes that some couriers describe at highland and islands must be so much easier and cheaper to get stuff to that a lot of standard fee postcodes.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Mallaig is one of the biggest towns in the highlands.

matt_outandabout

druidh is right.

matt_outandabout

😕

cynic-al
    Free Member

bland – Member
    Thats irrelevant anyway as even a shoe box would cost the same, plus they never check sizes IME

Why don’t you just say it’s the size of a shoe box then?

parcel2go and other online couriers ask for dimensions.

Junkyard
    Free Member

797 people in the 2001 census in Mallaig

jota180
    Free Member

Try parcelmonkey

glupton1976
    Free Member

It is – name 20 places in the highlands that are bigger…

ciderinsport
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    ciderinsport – Member

Wow! if thats the case i am selling myself short bro!

(however, on ebay I always state something like ‘postage to uk mainland excluding those areas not covered by normal services -you who you are!’)
    No problems with much cheapness so far – including the Isle of Man!

bland

Turns out ParcelFarce is actually £12 plus VAT direct. I have always just used Parcel 2 go, seems odd that they wont do it to this address.

Anyway, alls well that ends well, clearly P2go aint as good as they used to be

glupton1976
    Free Member

So are you going to refund the buyer their £3?

matt_outandabout

😆

jota180
    Free Member

So are you going to refund the buyer their [strike]£3[/strike] 59p?

bland

No im going to donate it the local dogs home buy a yorkie with it!

glupton1976
    Free Member

You do know that charging more than you paid for postage is against Ebay rules dont you. 😀

Conan257
    Free Member

I lived in a few “wee villages” in Scotland…

One was called Inverness, another was called Aberdeen. Not to mention a wee village we call a “city” in between.

Nothing pissed me off more than companies charging a RIDICULOUS amount for postage.

Toys R Us charges double the normal rate to Inverness. Yet they use royal mail who doesn’t charge extra!

Man up and send the frame at the price you quoted, he wouldn’t have bought it otherwise.

ps. Got so annoyed I didn’t bother to read half the posts, so this might be falling on deaf ears.

cyclebiker

Posted a frame last week using parcel force…next day delivery and fully insured for 20. (16 without insurance) to the peebles. If you said the price was 15 quid then that’s what you charge.
    Sorry to be harsh…but perhaps you should have done more research before listing the time.

convert

It is – name 20 places in the highlands that are bigger…

Well…

Aberfeldy
    Aboyne
    Alness
    Aultbea
    Aviemore
    Avoch
    Ballater
    Banchory
    Beauly
    Blairgowrie
    Braemar
    Campbeltown
    Castletown
    Crieff
    Dingwall
    Dornoch
    Dunkeld
    Evanton
    Fort William
    Gairloch

Got bored by the time I got to 20 but getting there by G was not a bad effort I thought! Fairly sure they are all bigger than Malliag but not checked and some are a bit iffy as being Highlands proper. Probably missed a few out along the way. Safe to say 20 was easy!

So no, it’s not big 😉

neninja
    Free Member

http://www.interparcel.com have a Highlands and Islands Hermes service for £12.99 + vat

druidh
    Free Member

Whoops! You might want to check where most of those actually are.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Am i being unfair – Postage cost question’ is closed to new replies.