Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Am I being silly worrying about carbon?
  • PJay
    Free Member

I’m thinking of building up a bike for my partner based on an On-One Scandal rolling chassis package. The one that fits the bill best is their hybrid version with carbon forks and bars. Being a bit of a lump I’ve tended to worry about carbon components and so stuck to aluminium for myself. My partner on the other hand is on the small side but I find myself worrying more about it when building up a bike for her than I would for myself. Am I being silly, there are lots of carbon kit about (including mountain bike frames) so I guess they’re really durable, I just need a bit of reassurance?

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve never had an issue with carbon forks and I break everything.
    Although admittedly I’ve never had them on a mountain bike, I’ve had a couple of cross bikes with carbon forks and they got properly ragged with no problems.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have smashed a carbon down tube against a concrete step.

The frame had some chipped paint. The step broke.

Carbon’s tough as old boots if made properly.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I have ridden the same carbon Scott for 10 years. It hasnt broken but I have.

I have a Ti ss with carbon forks. I snapped the frame.

I would have no worries about carbon.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I have ridden the same carbon Scott for 10 years. It hasnt broken but I have.

I have a Ti ss with carbon forks. I snapped the frame.

I would have no worries about carbon.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

So good I posted twice

jhw
    Free Member

The real difficulty with carbon (frames at least) is where it connects to the metal parts of the bike, e.g., BB shell, bosses, etc.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I’ve seen too many chipped/cracked carbon components to trust it with things like bars and forks. Frame seems a bit more acceptable though, which is probably illogical.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

frame and forks fine for me – but i’ve ruined 2 bars and 1 post, and stay away from them now. i like the ragley bars with the kevlar wrap on them though…

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I’m with Fortunateson09 and hungry monkey. I have just about every possible bike part in carbon on one bike or another but I won’t use carbon bars. They just don’t seem to be very crash resistant and I have seen far more carbon bars fail than alloy ones even though they are still rarer.

luked2
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure my wrists would break before my O-O carbon forks would.

7hz
    Free Member

I run carbon bars and don’t think twice about it.

The idea of a carbon steerer gives me the willies though.

Weird!

tony24
    Free Member

BEen using carbon bars for 6 month done jumps, crashes and I would do downhill with them. I use a easton carbon seatpost too which I have had no problems with. Trust the stuff its great.

My on one carbon is going wales with me in april and it will suffer the same abuse as my full sus did.

vinnyeh

I’ve a (possibly irrational) fear of being reamed out by a broken carbon seatpost, so won’t use one on an mtb. Happy with frames, forks and bars though. And anything goes on the road.

GW
    Free Member

broken bars can ream you out just as easily, possibly from the other end first.

sharkbait
    Free Member

No problems using anything carbon….. I use carbon on boats that is under huge pressures, it’s fine.

Speshpaul

Carbons terrible stuff thats why they build aeroplanes out of it.

the seat post line above is the problem with carbons image. Cheap (or cheaply made) carbon products made from off the shelf carbon tubes and not designed for the end use.
    I think we are seeing the next big wave of carbon frames, the DH scene seems to getting the idea. Affordable and good trail frames On-one, Spesh Stumpy FSR bike for £2.5k.

7hz
    Free Member

Plus, broken aluminium / steel / titanium can mess you up just as bad, or maybe worse!

leggyblonde
    Free Member

they don’t need worry about crash resistance in aeroplanes though!

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

thing is, i’ve damaged easton and ritchy carbon bars – blistering on the eastons for no apparent reason and deep scratches caused when a rock fell on them in a crash – better to be safe than sorry, so i got rid – not something i’d have needed to do with alu bars (at least in my head…)
    my carbon post got a crack all up its length – possibly over tightened but again, not something which would happen with an alu post.

horses for courses though – i run 2 pairs of carbon forks (CX and rigid), and a carbon post on my CX bike…

_tom_
    Free Member

£2.5k is affordable? 0_0

MadPierre

I’ve crashed plenty over the years on FSA Gravity carbon bars. Few scratches but that’s it. Two pairs still going strong and I’d buy again.

Speshpaul

£2.5k is affordable? 0_0
    How much are Full sus bike these days? Have they come down a lot since i last looked?

jimw
    Free Member

I’m with jhw- in my experience carbon is OK except where it is bonded to other materials, especially in high stress areas. I had three carbon FS frames break (all replaced under excellent warranty from a certain US manufacturer I might add) all in bonded areas. I would be much happier with a carbon hardtail. I have used carbon bars and carbon stems for years without any issues so far

PJay
    Free Member

Thanks, lots to think about. The only carbon components would be bars (straight) and forks (bonded to alum. dropouts). I’m trying to get the best bike I can out of not much cash for my partner but would rather replace the bars for aluminium ones if that’s safer. The forks would have to stay but there is another On-One package with coil Toras for the same price. Most of her riding would be on the road though so rigid forks feel best.

tony24
    Free Member

If you want a set of cheap Easton EC70 carbon flat bars 580 wide i have some that i have used 1 time. You can have them for £30 Email me if you want them.

PJay
    Free Member

So, I could ebay the bars, but what are people’s thoughts on carbon forks? If bonding’s a concern there’s plenty of it on those, presumably legs to dropouts and crown – but a lot of folk seem to be riding them without issue. Or I could just go for the Tora option.

I’m probably being irrational but I seem to have much more angst around building up a bike for my partner than I do when I build for myself.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I ride a full carbon CX…

I’m no lightweight, and I don’t give it a 2nd thought… 🙂

Random
    Free Member

What is the current thinking on dropping the saddle on a carbon bike? Is it still a mid-ride no-no or have attitudes relaxed / build improved?

vdubber67
    Free Member

Where I work we make bits for helicopters and jet engines out of the stuff, so I reckon it’s ok for bikes! 😉

Let me know if anyone’s got any large broken carbon frames they want rid of by the way! 😉

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Am I being silly worrying about carbon?’ is closed to new replies.