• This topic has 51 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by poly.
Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Am I being reasonable or just a grumpy antisocial bugger?
  • sillysilly
    Free Member

Just saw a crazy post featuring data from public health England.

Apparently only 2% of COVID infections picked up in restaurants.

29% Care homes
    24% Work
    22% School / Uni

Do your own fact checking but yes, keep
    your mask on and open the windows in your cab. Just in case the past occupants were students on the way back from their Saturday job, off to see their nan’s at a care home…

Or ride 😂

martinhutch

Just tell her to have a beaker ready for when you get home.

I won’t kink-shame you.

Apparently only 2% of COVID infections picked up in restaurants.

29% Care homes
    24% Work
    22% School / Uni

It should be borne in mind that this assertion relies on data from our world-beating track and trace system, and it is relatively easier to identify contacts in care homes, workplaces and schools.

It should also be noted that, earlier this year, the official line was that there was no evidence of transmission in school environments, so people should draw their own conclusions.

Duggan

I’m not aware of restaurants being pegged as massive Covid hot-spots or anything.

Other than Eat out to help out being evidenced as a major kickstarter to the second wave.

I agree it probably was but Eat to Help Out was a nationwide incentive to get people to spend money out in restaurants rightly or wrongly. It doubtless contributed to the infection rate rising along with ending lockdown in July and a million other restrictions that were eased. But I don’t think that means the OP will be entering some kind of covid high risk hot-spot just by going to a restaurant. I mean, he might be, but equally he might not. The same as if he goes to a shop or gets his haircut.

There is no right or wrong answer here anyway, only a sliding scale of risk and a point on it that the OP feels comfortable with.

I live in Manchester and its not quite the dystopian nightmare that people imagine it to be. It sure can feel like it at times but as somebody else has said the city centre is pretty sedate these days and you can get a meal and a pint without being crowded.

imnotverygood

29% Care homes
    24% Work
    22% School / Uni

But doesn’t this reflect the relatively small numbers of people in restaurants at present and the amount of time they spend there. I would suspect that the number of people being infected on a nuclear submarine is (almost) zero. Doesn’t mean that it would be safe to do a three month tour on one along with someone who was Covid positive.

tjagain

Also in the guardian is a piece that states that eat out to help out implicated in one fifth of recent cases

lesgrandepotato

Is it Sam’s? I’d go if it was Sam’s.

singletrackmind

I just said no to a a meal ina curry house.
    Last vist was a shambles. Handed a pen and paper by a non glove wearing member of staff so we could write down our order , using a pen they have touched ,a nd paper they have touched as opposed to telling the waiter our order so he can write it down with his own pen
    Another waiter then insists on lighting the tea light in the middle of the table. His face was 6″ from mine. I am out for a curry with a mate , the candle really isnt neeeded to make our eyes more alluring
    food dishes handed over by leaning over everyone , a 1980s hostess trolly would be much better and a little bit of self service

Would I risk it , in Manchester ? no probably not . Too many contact points on doors etc , plus people in their own world who think they are exempt from catching a virus and the rules do not apply to them wandering around sans facemask

Poopscoop

@sillysilly

The link below is taken from the Covid thread.

Research showing the spread of Covid within the likes of restaurants, socially distanced or not.

If you and you wife are happy to go after skim reading this (and watching the animations) then you are a braver man than I.

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-10-28/a-room-a-bar-and-a-class-how-the-coronavirus-is-spread-through-the-air.html

Gribs

Enjoy a night out with your wife. I’m currently having to socially distance from mine before going off on holiday for a week, tomorrow (mainly to keep the dog away from fireworks) as she was in close contact with a confirmed case whilst at work. It’s horrible to have to effectively avoid someone you love.

Drac

I watched read that article this am. It helped me confirm that if restaurants and pubs follow restrictions then the risk of substantially reduced.

We’re going out for my youngest’s birthday tomorrow night. The pub in question is very strict of following the guidance.

sillysilly
    Free Member

I like the elpais link.

poly
    Free Member

It’s my wife’s birthday on Sunday, we hadn’t planned to do anything due to COVID but she’s now suggesting going to a restaurant we have vouchers for tomorrow night.

suspect it is irrelevant – based on what we see here if it’s a good restaurant it will likely already be fully booked for tomorrow night due to reduced capacity, all the more so if they have incentives/vouchers to encourage you to go.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Am I being reasonable or just a grumpy antisocial bugger?’ is closed to new replies.