Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Am I being eBay/Paypal scammed?
  • chrispalmr
    Free Member

Evening all.

I’ve listed two items on eBay this evening; one digital compact (Ricoh GX200) and a Sigma DSLR lens. Both items bought via BuyItNow within minutes of launching – I even had two people buy the Ricoh 4 seconds apart. See here:
    Sigma Lens

GX200
    Anyway, payments made by PayPal, all three(!) buyers have lots of positive feedback for similar items, (I will refund the second of the two buyers) and yet my spider senses are tingling. What do I need to look out for to avoid chargeback fraud? I send items, payments cancelled, items disappeared?

Or am I just being paranoid?

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

If it’s in your bank acc, it’s yours. If they pay via echeque, it will show as uncleared in your paypal acc

user-removed
    Free Member

How can the item have sold twice? Surely that’s only possible if you have listed it as having more than one available?

Sale looks ‘safe’ to me – there are others for sale for £30 more, so the buyer probably just thought it was a bit of a bargain.

chrispalmr
    Free Member

Re having sold it twice, I suspect that the two buyers were buying essentially simultaneously; the paypal payments have come through 4secs apart!

Having read through PayPal seller protection it looks pretty watertight so long as I get decent proof of postage/delivery. I always use (and have costed for) Special Delivery, so that should be fine.

We’ll see what happens.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

99% of stuff i buy on eBay has been listed less than 2 minutes

i only buy when its been listed too cheap,

i dont know the camera market but id suggest you sold too cheap, a search on your buyers feedbacks will probably show lots of feedback for cheap listed buy it now

the duplicate payment happened to me last night, email the buyer, he probably doesnt know, i only noticed when i checked my paypal balance, i got no eBay/PayPal email confirming id won, as i hadn’t, id been the 2nd to buy, albeit seconds later

chrispalmr
    Free Member

Thanks for the thoughts all, feeling a little happier about it now.

I do find pricing things quite difficult; in this instance it looks like I underpriced both items – at least they sold quickly! I’d gotten trade-in quotes for both items and priced them in excess of that (although by the time I’ve taken off eBay and Paypal fees, it’ll be about the same) My loss is someone else’s gain, and both items were basically collecting dust.

C’est la vie!

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Next time, use the Buy it Now or Best Offer option.

If you’ve priced it way too high you’ll get much lower offers but if you’ve priced it right you’ll quickly get the full asking.

Selling stuff instantly usually means it’s been underpriced.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Am I being eBay/Paypal scammed?’ is closed to new replies.