• This topic has 45 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by nickc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Am I becoming a bit 1-dimensional?
  • hardtailonly

I feel like the main/only interest I have is bikes/riding.

If I dont ride several times a week, I’m a grumpy sod. If I’m not riding, I’m wishing I was, or planning when I next can.

I spend ages on here. Most social media I can take it or leave it.

The only stuff I buy for me is bike stuff. I don’t spend lots, I definitely am not in for pimping my bike all the time. But spares, replacements for stuff that might wear out, parts for possible future builds etc.

I like bike tinkering and fettling, I’ve built up 5 bikes in the last 2.5 years.

And, with everything else that comes with being a family man, working, the domestic stuff, walking the dog, seeing elderly parents, keeping the house/garden from falling completely into disrepair … there seems to be a lack of time for other stuff, but also, I don’t feel much inclined.

I don’t watch much TV. I dont really listen to music any more. I read a lot (70% STW mag / books about bikes/riding). I dont watch films often, I don’t play musical instruments, I don’t go out and do art classes or whatever.

So. Either tell me that’s all fine, and I’m not alone. Or help me, inspire me, to be a nore rounded person!

TheBrick
    Free Member

As long as you are being authentic to yourself and not doing so for others validation then don’t worry about it.

ta11pau1

I don’t see an issue, bikes and the places they take us, and the people we meet are brilliant.

Remember, a large portion of the population don’t have a single hobby like bikes, instead they spend weeknights watching shite on the TV and weekends in the pub/bar/doing other meaningless things.

I have biking, and related to that, fitness. Then a bit of gaming when I have the chance, and travel – which is mostly spent biking! I don’t think I’d have the time/money for another hobby unless it was something cheap that didn’t take up much time.

fasthaggis

When I was young, I would hear older people always saying (or telling me) “Variety is the spice of life” .
    Turns out they were right.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

The only bit that worries me is this…

I like bike tinkering and fettling

Fixing bikes sucks. Deeply.

Apart from that you sound like a well adjusted person 🙂

ta11pau1

Oh and try a full suspension 😉😁

andrewh
    Free Member

You have something you like and spend most of your doing it.
    Why is that a problem?

garage-dweller

Are you neglecting anyone who is important to you or any domestic/work/functional needs?

If you can answer no to that crack on.

It might not make a work networking event easy but if you’re happy and you’re not causing injury I fail to see the issue.

Me, I like a bit more than that but then the problem becomes never really having time to do it all justice, which has its own frustrations.

martymac

Yeah I’m not seeing much wrong with your description tbh.
    Enjoy it for as long as you can, you may feel different in 20yrs or so, and there won’t be anything wrong with that either.
    I don’t ride anywhere near as much as i used to, but I still enjoy it when i do drag myself out, that’s what matters to me.

reeksy

You sound like my wife criticising me!

In which case, crack on.

If I dont ride exercise several times a week, I’m a grumpy sod. If I’m not riding, I’m wishing I was, or planning when I next can.

This bit has been me for my entire life. But riding is my current preferred form of exercise. If i can’t ride i’ll run.

Are other things in life unbearable? Or is it just that you’re on autopilot with everything else because you can be?

Personally, I avoid even looking for other jobs because my current one i’ve shaped like a (bike) glove, it accommodates my riding very well. It’s unlikely i’d find something else in my field that would give me the same lifestyle.

sirromj

Hi group! I think most of my adult life I’ve had hobbies that become obsessional. Usually they last me a decade or two (so far). They overlap morph and crossover. But pretty much are what I spend a large proportion of my waking time wishing I had more time for them. Bikes being the current one. I wear bike related t shirts to work most of them were gifts. There’s still threads to my past hobbies, I hope to go back to some of them, particularly the more creative ones.

oldnpastit

I thought this was going to be about the three body problem and the trisolarians. Is disappoint.

sirromj

I thought this was going to be about the three body problem and the trisolarians. Is disappoint.

Not read any sci-fi for a while… Worth a read? Or just watch the upcoming Netflix series?

reluctantjumper

So. Either tell me that’s all fine, and I’m not alone. Or help me, inspire me, to be a nore rounded person!

You’ve pretty much described what I was like pre-pandemic*! I was either in work or out on my bike, spannering in the bike or planning the next ride. Rarely had a day a week where I hadn’t spun the pedals, commuting or big rides and sometimes both. I was happy, relaxed and just enjoying life as a whole. Contrast to now where I have gained a few more hobbies and don’t ride anywhere near as much as I did before (no commute due to distance, work 5 days a week not 4 so less free time that is sucked up by my other new hobbies) and I’m not as happy as I was for various reasons. I’m trying to get a sense of balance back but what I have learned is that I should just do whatever makes me happy. If that’s just riding bikes then so be it, same for you. The happiest people I know are the ones who have a relatively simple life, usually one hobby only and just get on with things.

TL:DR: as long as you’re happy don’t worry about it!

* On the whole anyway, was still dealing with the aftermath of other crap but on the whole I was happy.

rakas

I don’t think there’s a problem as such… but you are effectively asking a bunch of monkeys if liking bananas a lot is an issue.

nickc

be a nore rounded person!

All those things you listed that you don’t do? Do them more often – if you want to, or don’t if you don’t.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

You may as well be describing me. I freely admit I’m a one trick pony.

The thing is as a family man, there’s not exactly much time left after everything else that needs doing, so it’s kinda natural to use what little time is left on the thing you like.

oldnpastit

@sirromj

Not read any sci-fi for a while… Worth a read? Or just watch the upcoming Netflix series?

I enjoyed it, has some very interesting ideas. Written from a very China-centric perspective which is also quite a change. Certainly not your typical space opera.

Is it a truly great work of fiction though? Not sure.

muddyground
    Free Member

Most people aren’t even one dimensional. Crack on.

nickc

Certainly not your typical space opera.

Spolier: Is this the one where nothing happens in the entire book, until the plot device is revealed at the very end, when it becomes clear that in fact; nothing is going to happen for a further (very long) period of time?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

It’s good to get your head up now and again and try something new but basically if you’re happy don’t feel pressured to do anything but don’t spurn an opportunity if it comes along, this year and last I have got back into fly fishing after a 25 year lay off, only go once a month but it’s just a different kind of zen to cycling. All good.

thepurist

Spolier:

That’s book 1 in a nutshell. The 2nd book moves things on a bit better but then IIRC it reverts to type in the 3rd book. As above it’s got some interesting ideas but it’s not exactly a page turner. Not as bad as Tolkein though.

Oh and OP – you’re preaching to the choir here. I’m similar in that I’ve carved out a way to fit biking into my life and missing a day where I could have ridden makes me grumpy. Riding a bike gives me something that no other hobby has come close to, that combination of physical effort and state of mind during and after a ride. I do have a couple of other hobbies that reward me in their own way, but missing them for a few days isn’t the same as not riding a bike. Be glad that you’ve found your ‘thing’ and don’t compare yourself to the insta-social projection of other people who are kayaking, climbing, riding horses, sculpting, hang gliding or whatever they claim to do.

bri-72

Don’t see the issue, I guess the question is are you confident you can and would find some different interests if you had to ie age/health/circumstance required it. If yes, why worry?

I’ve not always mtb’d or not as much as now where it is basically my only hobby. But I did golf and do other things I’ve always figured I’d get back into that at some point.

v7fmp

i freaking love riding and biking and bikes and bike stuff and watching bikes and bikes bikes bikes…. so i wouldnt worry about not having ‘other’ interests.

As many have said, once work, family, life is sorted there isnt a massive amount of time left for other things, so you may as well use that time for the stuff you love.

Mountain biking is my hobby and passion. But i still have other interests. I love music, film, xbox and the odd track day. But they are definitely second fiddle to riding.

Continue to embrace your passion!

benman
    Free Member

Don’t be that person that people avoid at parties, because you have nothing else to talk about than bikes…

mogrim

@sirromj

I read it, and TBH I can’t remember much of it. Seem to remember enjoying it but it clearly hasn’t made any major impact.

Fixing bikes sucks. Deeply.

While I personally enjoy spending time in the garage with a beer and a spanner, fixing my bike.

@OP I don’t see your bike-centred life as a particular problem, it’s just a hobby you’re a bit obsessed about. If you’re starting to miss family engagements (or whatever) and getting into arguments with your partner about it then that would be a different matter.

tenfoot

I wouldn’t worry about it.

The only stuff I buy for me is bike stuff. I

And to be honest, it isn’t hard to spend money on bike stuff. Things always need replacing and these things aren’t cheap.

clubby

Don’t be that person that people avoid at parties, because you have nothing else to talk about than bikes…

Just don’t go to parties. Waste of time you could be out riding.

bigblackshed

I’ve always rode bikes. From the time I learned to ride with stabilisers to now. There’s been times when I fell out of love with it, when it was just a means of transport or when I had no other choice but to commute, a very horrible commute, year round, no days off.

I can get very obsessional about hobbies, it goes with being borderline “on the spectrum”. At one time it was the Volkswagen scene, then surfing, which both very nearly destroyed my marriage.

The last few years have been full on bike. Although I’ve learned to temper it some what because of family life and the pressures that it brings. But I have to ride otherwise my head gets out of kilter and I’m horrible to be around.

I love bikes. Any shape, size, type. I can talk bike, fix bikes, ride bikes, look at bikes, read bikes, etc.

OP. It’s a balancing act. As long as family life isn’t impacted and it’s your time spent biking then to me there’s no issues. Although I’m probably not the best person to give advice.

hardtailonly

Thanks all.

I don’t think there’s a problem as such… but you are effectively asking a bunch of monkeys if liking bananas a lot is an issue

This made me laugh! But am reassured that most of you seem to think it’s no great issue.

No issues with not “being there” for the family, or the other stuff I have to do.

Riding bikes (and to a lesser extent, trail running) just give me something that no other hobbies or interests do really, so I’ll just crack on I think.

However, in the back of my mind, I do think about this…

I guess the question is are you confident you can and would find some different interests if you had to ie age/health/circumstance required it

Currently I’m 54, hope to be riding regularly for at least another 20 years or more. And I guess, as I’ll be retiring in the next 10/12 years, there’ll be more time to take up some other interests that can hopefully become established by the time my body is too frail to ride regularly.

StirlingCrispin

I am the OP.

But I also build model planes, and have a flight tracker and a weather station.
    Most of my time though is spent walking the dog.
    None of these make me a sparkling conversationalist.

What was the question?

fossy

Somebody, not naming names, said they don’t like tinkering with bikes. Just don’t own a Full suspension. Bloody bearings !

IdleJon

Just don’t go to parties. Waste of time you could be out riding.

Or just go to parties that are bike based. We are having one in a local bar (run by a rider) tomorrow evening, in theory watching Rampage, but it’s just an excuse to drink good beer and talk to bikey people.

bigblackshed

Or just go to parties that are bike based. We are having one in a local bar (run by a rider) tomorrow evening, in theory watching Rampage, but it’s just an excuse to drink good beer and talk to bikey people.

If ever there was a need for a like button, then this is it. ^^^^^

TiRed

I don’t mean to be blunt, but you came to a bike forum, populated mostly by middle-aged men who obsess about bikes (and current affairs), to ask if your middle-aged bike obsession was one-dimensional. Of course it is. What did you expect?

FWIW I believe to succeed in life you need one decent interest/hobby and a decent friend. The latter could be a dog.

didnthurt

Are you me? 😆

My motto is “rather be out on my bike” and have never found something else that gives me the level of happiness.

I like hill walking

I like swimming

I like family walks

I like kayaking

I like bouldering

But would “rather be out on my bike”

didnthurt

When the wife moans about my cycling obsession, I say how about I take up pastimes that my fellow work colleagues do like:
    – Going to football (takes up most of their Saturdays)
    – Drinking in pubs
    – Smoking
    – Gambling
    – Taking drugs

Apparently cycling isn’t so bad after all 😂

cheekyboy
    Free Member

You sound like a decent bloke, stay as you are.

gdm4

Dude…..family, job, dog walking, maintaining your home and bikes. That sounds like a pretty full life to me. Live your life by your standards, only way to real happiness and fulfilment to my mind. Enjoy.

ampthill

Just really jealous

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.