Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Am I asthmatic then?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve done very little strenuous exercise since April for one reason & another, but have been out on the bike for a couple of steady pootles lately & have suffered with an inability to get a good lungful of air & also some wheeziness. Went out again today & although didn’t feel too bad when I got back I was once again very wheezy, so my mrs said to try one of her inhalers (that she hasn’t needed for ages) I had 2 sucks on it & the result was very impressive, was un wheezy & could get a big lungful of air!
    I don’t notice anything untoward going up stairs & suchlike so what’s the crack? Am I just unfit?

(Thought I’d ask on here, save going to the docs) 😐

midlifecrashes

Might be your riding position. Do you need to be sitting more upright on the bike, I’ve heard having your head down looking at the stem is connected to an asthma diagnosis. #gofroome 🙂

Cougar

Cat aids. Probably terminal. Can I have your bike?

mikey74
    Free Member

Colder weather?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Can I have your bike?

No.

Colder weather?

Never happened before & It wasn’t even cold today, I had shorts on!

midlifecrashes

Get to the docs for a checkup anyway, stress can mess you up and you’ve had a good dose of that this year. I had something similar to you earlier in the year, steady ride and didn’t feel great during it, then took hours and hours for heart rate to drop afterwards, feeling of walking through treacle. Didn’t have an inhaler to try, but got to docs next day and she suggested the stress and 196/110 BP might have had something to do with it, and made a start on sorting me out.

grtdkad

[Watches with interest]
    …similarly I often ride with headphones in, but on the odd occasion when I ride without music I’m always surprised at how loud and wheezy my breathing is 😳

Have been tempted to nick my daughter’s inhaler … #TUEinnit

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Cheers MLC, I’m not as stressed as I was that’s for sure! Heart rate was ok when I got back but I just couldn’t do a ‘big sigh’ if you know what I mean &was wheezing like a squeeky bellows. As soon as I tried the inhaler I was fine!

I’ll try again tomorrow!

frankconway

Change your brand of tobacco.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Cold air does it for me for sure, working hard once temps reach single figures inevitably leads to a few hours of post exercise wheezing.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I have recently been though a very similar thing. I had put down my general inability to supply my legs / body with sufficient oxygen down to having smoked for 14 years (quit 3yesrs ago) and not having exercised enough. Fast forward to earlier this year when I had a coughing fit leading to not being able to breathe properly and a trip at SWMBO insistence to urgent care where I was given an inhaler (Salamol / salbutamol sulfate / Ventolin) and told to see my Gp. I used the Ventolin prior to running and riding and it made what I would describe as a life changing difference to my ability to exercise.

However; having seen the GP and been referred for lung function testing with and out the inhaler staticly it made ~4% difference to my peak flow. Having tested myself as average 350L/min normal, 200L/min post exercise and 500-600L/min post exercise after using Ventolin/Salbutamol inhaler I have been back to the GP.

The long and the short of it is that the Salbutamol (blue inhaler) should only be used to relieve symptoms and not to allow better airflow for exercise- I was basically using it as a performance inhancing drug (you are only allow max. 3 blue inhalers per year).

I have now been prescribed a brown preventative inhaler (Beclometasone dipropionare) which I have to use twice a day. Initially I didn’t think it was doing anything and had to still use the reliever / Ventolin however over time I have seen improvement whereby I only have to use the reliever if absolutely necessary.

See your GP and describe accurately the situations and the relief provided by the inhaler. It’s also useful to have flow data static and pre/post exercise.

fatmax

I’ve had breathlessness and fatigue for the last four months. And had all sorts of tests – heart ECG, chest xrays and all sorts of bloods. All came back clear and so the initial and latest diagnosis is a virus. A blue Ventolin inhaler made no difference at all. Worth checking out. Thankfully about two weeks back it seemed to clear itself, so will head out for a gentle ride this weekend.
    Good luck!

lightman
    Free Member

Possibly Exercise Induced Asthma.
    I had to diagnose myself with it a few years ago because by the time I got an appointment with the doc, I was no longer cycling hard, so they could never find anything wrong.
    Ive always been very fit, but took a few years out and quite regularly struggled to breathe fully when out cycling after that, it got so bad I sometimes had to stop and sit down for 10/15 mins!
    I got an inhaler to try and it didn’t make everything 100% perfect, but it did help me breathe better when going hard.

I phoned NHS24 after a particularly bad cycle and they went through everything that could’ve been wrong with me, and couldn’t find anything.

Superficial
    Free Member

I was basically using it [Salbutamol] as a performance inhancing drug (you are only allow max. 3 blue inhalers per year).

Says who? Your GP? Whilst I’m sure that they’re keen on prevention rather than treatment (ie establishing a regime of ‘preventers’ so you avoid needing salbutamol), I suspect this has more to do with them not wanting to be your supply of PEDs for riding. There is no yearly limit.

The WADA limit (for allcomers, asthma or not) is 1600micrograms a day which is 16 puffs on a normal blue inhaler.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

There’s a lot of b@llocks being spouted on this thread.

If you really think you have issues go and see your doc. They can arrange for various tests to find out if your are asthmatic.

In the past I’ve had very similar symptoms to OP, but off the back of having serious Pneumonia a few years back. Went to GP, done peak flow diaries which showed slight drops but nothing significant, I’ve been referred to a consultant and had further tests including an asthma challenge test where they give you a drug that will induce asthma if you are asthmatic and nothing happened.

I accept now that I have to keep my chest wrapped up warm in the cold, start slow, and stay clear of exercise in the winter if I have the slightest whiff of a cold.

The advice around blue inhaler above is complete trolocks too. Blue is used for reacting to symptoms, briown etc is used to try and prevent symptoms occurring.

Blue inhalers are not a performance enhancing drug and if you think that you actually have no idea what it does

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

My GP advised that they were not meant to prescribe more than 3 Salbutamol inhalers per annum as it is meant as a reliever not a preventive measure.

If the Salbutamol is not performance enhancing why are higher than normally prescribed does banned by the World Anti-Doping Agency? When I was describing it as performance enhancement it’s more like it puts my back to a level of how a normal humans lungs work, which for me is an enhancement!

From what I understand Salbutamol relaxes the smooth muscles in the bronchial passages when they tighten allowing normal respiratory function.

prawny

I was diagnosed with Asthma at this time of year a few years ago when I was fat and unfit. I decided to save the money on inhaler prescriptions I would become more fit and less fat.

I thought it had worked, but it turns out it’s only ever this time of year that affects me, so whether it is asthma or not I don’t know. I’ve had to used my inhaler a few times over the last couple of weeks, I’m inclined to think it’s more likely to be something environmental because I often need to take antihistamines at the same time.

Deffo go and see your doctor though, just in case there is something else going on.

retro83
    Free Member

one_happy_hippy – Member
    My GP advised that they were not meant to prescribe more than 3 Salbutamol inhalers per annum as it is meant as a reliever not a preventive measure.

Well either your GP or mine is talking out of their arse because I was told to take mine before exercise. (I have exercise induced asthma.)

bigdaddy

Another Exercise Induced Asthma suffer here – for 20 years or more. I’ve never heard the 3 inhalers a year stuff either, I’m sure that can’t be right – I used to get through a fair few more than that! For the last 3 years I haven’t needed blue ones at all as the preventers I’m on (I’ve tried many)have been working well, but this Autumn has been a struggle. I’ve needed a lot of blue again (all mine were out of date!)

I always used to take a blue inhale before I started exercise as it was required, and I’m back to it at the moment. Advice to the op is go to the Asthma nurse/GP for a proper diagnosis!

martinhutch

I would have thought the blue inhaler would only be performance enhancing if your performance was already inhibited by bronchial inflammation and narrowing. If you have normal unconstricted airways, it cannot magically open them further and increase lung function/capacity.

Anyhow, in response to the OP, the best thing is to head to the GP, get lung function checked – perhaps get hold of a peak flow meter and do it at different times of the day.

Modern preventive inhalers are pretty damn good, and a couple of puffs of that a day would probably remove any need for a reliever inhaler like salbutamol.

elzorillo
    Free Member

I posted something similar a few weeks ago.. went to see the dr who prescribed the blue inhaler to relieve symptoms (I’ve used it twice so far with great results). Same as above.. only seems to affect me this time of year.. I did a peak flow diary with was pretty static 650-700 every am and pm. Dr suggests I just avoid triggers.. the only trigger I can pinpoint is ‘October/November’ 😕

ton

😀

ton

we have to accept that the older, fatter, slower we get, we will slow down, and it will become harder.

and you are very old…… 😆

fishing is a good pastime for old men…. try that……..errr 😆

malumb
    Free Member

Salbutamol (blue inhaler) isn’t performance enhancing taken as an inhaler, but I think much higher doses (tablets or injected) can be a stimulant. Inhaled, it should only help those with a degree of bronchoconstriction i.e. asthma.

I suspect the 3 blue inhaler per year thing is more about good asthma control. It certainly isn’t a rule where I’ve worked. If someone is going through that many inhalers then most cases they need better preventative treatment or are using the inhaler inappropriately.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

we have to accept that the older, fatter, slower we get, we will slow down, and it will become harder.

and you are very old……

fishing is a good pastime for old men…. try that……..errr

Just you wait pal…… 😉

Anyway, just got back from another ride & before I set off I had 2 sucks from the blue inhaler, no problems whatsoever on the ride or after. Apart from being basically not as fit as I would normally be, but that’s just lack of exercise.

ton

😆

fasthaggis

Anyway, just got back from another ride & before I set off I had 2 sucks from the blue inhaler, no problems whatsoever on the ride or after.

You do know that the next time you meet Ton,he’s going to call you a doper. 😉 😆

grumpysculler
    Free Member

Well either your GP or mine is talking out of their arse because I was told to take mine before exercise. (I have exercise induced asthma.)

I do that too. You can use the blue inhaler as a prophylactic if you clearly understand your triggers. Exercise is mine, made worse by cold weather and pollen. It doesn’t replace the steroids, but if you know that a certain activity will trigger your asthma then taking your inhaler in advance is only sensible.

When I was training 10 or so times a week and took two puffs before every session, you get through a lot of inhalers.

It is performance enhancing in so far as not taking it would mean I was rather slow. But if there is a medical need (backed by ATUE or other documentation as necessary) then it is all legit. The point of medication is primarily to allow you to carry on as if you didn’t have the condition.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You do know that the next time you meet Ton,he’s going to call you a doper.

Ha! Next time I see im he’ll be on more meds than me!

vickypea
    Free Member

Autumn hay fever?

Esme
    Free Member

A few years ago, I took part in a drugs trial, for hayfever de-sensitisation injections. Each time, they checked me for asthma as follows:
    Peak flow meter (cardboard tube thingy), best of three
    Blue inhaler, wait 15 mins (approx)
    Peak flow again

Presumably if I had asthma, the peak flow would improve – and I’d be excluded from the drugs trial.

Does Mrs EGF have a peak flow meter you could use? Just while you’re waiting for the GP appointment, obviously?

grumpysculler
    Free Member

Peak flow meter (cardboard tube thingy), best of three
    Blue inhaler, wait 15 mins (approx)
    Peak flow again

That shows absolutely nothing unless you have some trigger beforehand. At best, it shows that you aren’t suffering at the time.

The proper test is a methacholine challenge test.

[list]
    Baseline spirometry
    inhale the irritatant
    spirometry to show if a reaction has triggered
    then inhaler
    then more spirometry to see if the inhaler has improved things[/list]

Asthma is a reversible bronchoconstriction so you need to see a restriction that is sorted by the inhaler.

bluebird
    Free Member

^ What he said. I had one the other day. See your GP and get yourself checked properly.

tjagain

sounds like exercise induced asthma to me

cokie

You’ve reminded me to go see the nurse!
    I’m always bad in Autumn (Hayfever) and cold winters.
    I forgot my blue on a ride the other day and was in a bad place.
    Had to get off the bike and control myself. Took a good 10 minutes and then a very gentle ride home. Won’t be doing that again.

Superficial
    Free Member

I would have thought the blue inhaler would only be performance enhancing if your performance was already inhibited by bronchial inflammation and narrowing.

Sort of. But that implies that every one of everyone’s bronchioles are maximally dilated at all times – unless someone is asthmatic. Of course, like every biological system, bronchial constriction is dynamic and depends on loads of intrinsic and extrinsic factors. People with asthma have an exaggerated response that falls outside of the normal range of bronchial physiology.

However, most people will have *some* response to inhaled salbutamol. There was once a mantra that 80% of the pro peleton had ‘asthma’ and routinely used salbutamol. I don’t know where that stat came from but I can believe it. What it’s saying is that there is some performance benefit / marginal gain from using it for most people. Of course, most people only notice it if they’re at the sharp end of pro sport.

My understanding is that, for this reason, WADA declassified salbutamol and stopped requiring TUEs and instead just put a daily limit on it.

martinhutch

What you’re saying makes some sense, and It’s possible that there is a perception of performance benefit, but I’m not sure that actually translates to an increase in real-world output.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21142283

But of course, for athletes, sometimes even the illusion that something offers an advantage is enough to compel them to use it.

There’s another suggestion that the intensity of training which some pro cyclists put themselves through actually causes a long-term inflammatory response, and they may actually be triggering asthma-like symptoms and damage.

OP- have you been training too hard? 😀

davieg
    Free Member

Excuse the thread resurrection, but I have been looking at posts on Exercise Induced Asthma from the last 10 years and this appears to be the most recent.  I am off to the GP tomorrow to explore potential exercise induced asthma.  I seem to present a lot of the symptoms.

I do not have asthma, but a few years ago and more recently on my last two group road rides, I have just exploded mid ride.  Not a bonk, as my fuelling and hydration were ok.  One minute I was going well, no problems and then just felt all sense of power fade from my body and legs.  So ended up spat out the back and ended up crawling home.  There was no wheezing or climbing at the time, and not really struggling for breath.  What I can remember and find hard to describe, was an erratic or sharp intake of breath (if there is an equivalent of something going down the wrong hole, like that) which preceded the episodes.

I am reasonably fit but I am no whippet or thoroughbred but annoying to suddenly lose all power and struggle when I know I can perform better.  I manage fine in the gym or on solo rides, but the group rides is where it has struck.  A few years ago, I went to the docs and had bloods done thinking it was maybe viral, but they returned clear.  I have managed since then by fuelling up better but it is only in the last two weeks this has reoccurred.

I do get mild hay fever but normally does not affect me other than the odd sneeze first thing.  Don’t appear to be too bad breathing in the winter too.

So, if this checks out can I expect Ventolin or similar being prescribed, and does it really work?

scaled
    Free Member

From what the asthma nurse told me you’ve already been diagnosed!  She got me to do a test before a few puffs on the inhaler then ~15 mins after and there was a remarkable difference in peak flow.

I’d only been to get an inhaler after suffering riding in Davos (up to 3500M) with a chest infection, I was rather surprised when she suggested that I should lay off the exercise for 6 weeks or so till the preventer kicks in.  Disappointingly i’ve not seen a massive uplift in performance 🙁

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Am I asthmatic then?’ is closed to new replies.