• This topic has 11 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by euain.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Am I about to get screwed by eBay?
  • Premier Icon euain

Just pissed off with the whole thing. Son used some money he shouldn’t have to buy some Steam tokens so I had 2x £50 tokens I couldn’t use.

I put them on eBay for £40 each.

They were bought by two different people. Payment was fast in both cases. Contacted by them – all through eBay messages.

They both asked for a photo of the code rather than posted. I checked the payment had gone through and that everything messages etc. were through eBay site rather than emails. All looked good so I sent the photos. This may have been foolish.

Now, a month later, I get emails from eBay saying both purchases are being challenged.

WTF is going on?

I have a form to fill in saying whether I accept it or not. I say no – but I have a horrible feeling it’s out of my hands. Nowhere to put a description of what happened. The history on eBay messages shows that I sent the codes but nowhere to submit this evidence.

As I can see it it’s one of:
    1. They’re trying it on
    2. Their accounts have been hacked
    3. eBay platform is just riddled with scammers and insecure (and maybe one of the above).

In each of these cases – someone else is up to something but looks like I’ll be the one being dumped on.

Anyone had similar? Anyone got any words of wisdom?

Premier Icon martinhutch

If the images were attached to ebay messages, then the evidence is available?

Ring up and speak to someone if possible.

Premier Icon kayla1

It might be best to actually give ebay a ring and explain the situation, they can be ok once you talk to another human being.

^ beaten to it!

Premier Icon euain

The images were attached. Pre- and post scratching the cards and with the original receipts from Tescos where they were bought.

I’m currently trying to get through on chat but they’re not the easiest organisation to get in touch with.

Premier Icon kayla1

Nah, either phone them or get them to call you back so you can actually speak to someone.

Premier Icon damascus
    Free Member

Good luck

I’d also get confirmation of the dates they were used. If you can prove it was used after you sent the pictures in ebay that will help.

However, when it comes to ebay, it usually always goes in the customers favour and never the sellers. That’s why Facebook market place is becoming so popular!

Premier Icon euain

Nah, either phone them or get them to call you back so you can actually speak to someone.

Closed the messenger window – waiting for a call back. Don’t see a number to call. Thanks!

Premier Icon euain

I’d also get confirmation of the dates they were used. If you can prove it was used after you sent the pictures in ebay that will help.

Is there any way to do this?

Premier Icon kelron

You won’t be able to see when they were used, that’s tied to whatever Steam account activated the codes. Good luck sorting it out with eBay, lots of people sell vouchers there so I hope they’re used to dealing with this.

Premier Icon squirrelking
    Free Member

You won’t be able to see when they were used, that’s tied to whatever Steam account activated the codes

Get in touch with Steam support.

https://help.steampowered.com/en/

Premier Icon Daffy

Who’s challenging he payments – the buyer or ebay themselves?

If the buyer(s) is/are claiming the digital code doesn’t work a month after asking for it to be urgently sent via e-mail, I think you’ll be safe. If it’s a bank challenging the purchase, again, I think you’ll be covered by ebay seller protection.

Premier Icon euain

Just spoken to eBay. The buyer has reported through their bank and the bank has challenged the payment. I’ve reported one of the buyers through eBay but the other doesn’t appear on the list of transactions. All a bit rubbish.

Feeling a bit better though. eBay say they are going to investigate the buyers and were sympathetic. No promises though. Think I’ll be closing that account now.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.