Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Am I about to be scammed on Ebay ? – or am I being paranoid ?
  • Trimix
    Free Member

My wife has bought a Wattbike from some bloke on Ebay – cash on delivery. I’m waiting at home for it. Should be here about mid day. All seems fine.

Then I learn its not him delivering it, it’s his Dad apparently. Also I’ve not got his phone number.

This sounds like the beginning of one of those threads about being scammed.

Or, since its cash on delivery, all will be fine. If I get the Wattbike and hand over the cash, the deal is done right ? No chance of a scam.

Or, I hand over the cash only to be later contacted by the seller saying he has not been paid and wants his goods back.

What do you reckon ?

convert

You’ll be fine. Just don’t show the ‘dad’ (who probably will be his dad) where you keep your bikes and the key for the shed.

Write a receipt of payment and get him to sign it and keep a copy if it makes you feel better.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Get the dad to sign a note saying the bike has been handed over and cash given? Seems legit to me.

tjagain

phot the dad and his car as well

RobHilton
    Free Member

phot the dad and his car as well

It’s spelled ‘frot’

HTH

bruneep

It’s spelled ‘frot’

Ha ha, had to urban dictionary that! Everyday is a school day

wwaswas

It’s spelled ‘frot’

Be wary of getting your 200mm zoom out – don’t want to rub him up the wrong way.

docgeoffyjones

It’s spelled ‘frot’

Is it like fencing? Do you think you can score points?

rockhopper70

Could you not get him to call his son while at yours, and get him to click the “payment received” button on the sale tracker thing?

I don’t image that can be rescinded.

Trimix
    Free Member

Turns out his son is on holiday, that’s why his Dad is delivering. But I will, as you suggest, get his dad to sign a receipt of cash for sale of the goods. Then all should be fine, probably 🙂

tinribz
    Free Member

Step 1 buy donuts.

Shortly before the alleged ‘dad’ arrives dial 999 and report a Facebook hate crime.

When the police get there tell them it was a false flag, but stall them with the donuts until the bike arrives.

When the doorbell rings ensure your wearing you’re helmet gopro to record the interaction.

If the seller turns up with heavies demanding cash up front you have the police to back you up. If they deny getting payment you have it recorded.

Job done.

kelron
    Free Member

There’s minimal risk to you as far as eBay goes. Collection/hand delivery is bad for the seller as they have no tracking info to fall back on if there’s a dispute. Handwritten receipts are largely pointless as far as I know, and would be for the seller’s benefit.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Am I about to be scammed on Ebay ? – or am I being paranoid ?’ is closed to new replies.