Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • Aluminium road bike comeback…?
  • shedbrewed
    Free Member

*sneaks in…
    So does anyone want to buy a nice Kinesis KR510 alu frameset with carbon stays and fork in a Large? Perfect crit bike….
    Anyone?
    *shambles out…

Can it be accepted also that everything isn’t equal? There seems to be quite a mixed arguement going on.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Just finished my CAAD10 last night, bought as a frameset and transferred over the bits from my cracked TCR. After a decent run today, it deffo gets my seal of approval, only change is a smaller top cap to get position right. Surprisingly stiff on acceleration and out the saddle climbs but conversely not as smooth as a good carbon frame on the local worn out roads. Its going to be perfect for racing.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/t1psZF]DSC_0003[/url] by [

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Does anyone know if that alu Giant Propel will remain for the Asian market only?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Be a shame if it doesn’t make it to the UK.

New Merckx alu bike too. Interesting that they are doing this…

Overall, the focus of the Blockhaus 67 is to provide every type of cyclist a high quality riding experience on quality aluminum rather than the dull, lifeless ride often associated with budget carbon frames.

mrblobby
    Free Member

New CAAD10 looking good too (here).

mtbtomo
    Free Member

That CAAD10 looks cool, the Merckx would too if it had a slightly more exciting paint job or was just plain raw!

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Meh. Always prefer sloping TT.

cynic-al
    Free Member

internal cable routing

Nooooooooooooooo! 🙁

steve_b77
    Free Member

Serious question, is the Allez Comp smart weld worth it over a similarly priced carbon model as an all rounder or will it be too stiff?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Stiffness more to do with design and build rather than some inherent property in the material. Spesh are usually really good with test rides, go try and Allez. I know a few who have them and really rate them.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d love to try a smartweld! As above, alu frames can be great but you are out of the shit-carbon price bracket at £1300

mrblobby
    Free Member

640 quid over at Hargroves. I’d rather that over a 640 quid carbon frame.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Stop it! Links should be banned…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Stiffness more to do with design and build rather than some inherent property in the material

indirectly due to the material property.
    Simplistically:
    Aluminium fails from fatigue.
    Flexing causes fatigue.
    Stiffness reduces flexing.
    And most effective way of stiffening a tube is to increase its diameter hence the traditional fat tubed, stiff ally frame.

Probably a fair amount of “precautionary principle” when ally MTBs became popular and were all massively oversized, manufucturers a little more sophisticated and knowledgeable now.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Aluminium fails from fatigue.
    Flexing causes fatigue.

Makes you wonder why airplane wings aren’t constantly falling off due to fatigue 😉

orangeboy
    Free Member

I’ve been riding my new Spesh e5 as linked to above for the last few weeks
    Apart from some anoying bb noise that maybe my used Chainset it’s been great.

Feels far quicker than my normal Ti merlin road bike just not as comfy
    Not that that was a great surprise and also what I wanted.

I’ve been very pleased with it and feels nicer to me than the cheap carbon bikes I’ve ridden

cynic-al
    Free Member

Makes you wonder why airplane wings aren’t constantly falling off due to fatigue

Don’t tell him they’re glued on!

steve_b77
    Free Member

You mean they don’t?

Holmesey
    Free Member

I also moved to CAAD10 a year ago, from a Giant Defy 2, based on…. it looked nice in the shop and seemed to fit. If a bike makes you happy, go ride it. Not sure about all this vertical, lateral compliance, but once I get some of them new bouncy wheels, I’m sure I’ll only need one bike for everything.

As a (mainly) mountainbiker, I stuck with Alu because I know I’ll end up bunny hopping, dropping it or bouncing off something sometime soon….
    (nice stealth build btw Bigdug)

cheers Holmesey

epicyclo

The new Boardmans have some of the nicest detailing I’ve ever seen in an alloy frame.

jameso – Member
    …Merckx and Hinault did ok on skinny steel tubes. Ever see that old video of Hinault launching up the lower ramps of Alpe d’Huez in the big ring? I’d probably call those frames whippy but I couldn’t blame them for ‘loss of power’ …

I have often wondered if that’s why it seemed easier to pull a whopping big ring on my SS in the old days.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Specialized doing some real interesting things with a new Allez (here).

onandon
    Free Member

Saw that on another forum, I don’t like specialized but I really like the look of that for some reason.

mrblobby
    Free Member

They now have a version of that Allez DSW Sprint up there ^^^ that takes a front mech (here). Like it a lot.

Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Aluminium road bike comeback…?’ is closed to new replies.