Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Altura Varium alternatives
  • jsync

A few years ago I got an Altura Varium soft shell jacket which was great for winter riding. Durable fabrics, stretchy, pit zips and taped seams. It is past it’s best now, so what alternatives are about at the moment? Thanks.

kevin1911

What size are you? Pretty sure I have a varium still with tags on that I doubt I’ll ever use

hainman
    Free Member

@jsync did you reproof your barium?
    I bought one a few years back when a local shop was shifting them for £30
    Really handy jacket for cold rides but it’s now not waterproof
    Wasn’t sure if nikwax was what to use as it was softshell like

jsync

@kevin1911 – thanks, what have you got? I’m probably M/L. Although I am really looking for a newer version or alternative.

@hainman
    – Yeah I got mine for the same price from Leckies, great price. I never had to reproof mine, although you can get specific softshell treatments I think.

kevin1911

Ha! That’s where I got mine too. Pretty sure it’s an XL I have

jsync

Amazing bargain at the time. Thanks for looking.

AdamT

I’ve had a Varium for a while. I did recently reproof it but managed to dodge really wet weather with it, so can’t say if it’s made a massive difference. It does bead up nicely when sprinkling water on it though. I used the wash in nikwax stuff.

If it’s really wet then I tend to use my gabba. Different garment and not cheap (but really worth it)

hainman
    Free Member

I’m going to got get some spray on reproofer
    Was reading online that when using a wash in reproofer it coats the inside as well as outside and causes issues like wetting out easier as the inside becomes less breathable

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Altura Varium alternatives’ is closed to new replies.