Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • altura attack waterproof 3/4 shorts – wet bum – solutions/alternatives
  • tor5
    Free Member

Bought a pair just before christmas & they were great, have been riding through the deluge 2/3 times a week and they were great until a week or two ago when the bum started getting a bit damp, it has become increasingly moist over the past few rides.

I’m assuming this is because the water repellant coating has been worn away by the grit, mud and rubbish being splashed about at the moment.

Two questions; one, I’m hoping a wash and retreatment with nicwax will restore the waterproofing for some period of time. two, are there any better alternatives out there?

Cheers!

Suggsey
    Free Member

I ran a pair for three years heavy use before they wore that thin on the taping I had to ditch them! I cleaned them regularly with tech wash and retreated with Tx wash in every fourth wash or there abouts. They must not be spun in the washing machine and must only be drip dried…no tumble drier!
    If you have followed the wash instructions to the letter I am surprised they have given up the ghost so fast.
    Are you sure it’s not moisture travelling down your bib shorts/ liners from sweat?

epicyclo

Alternatives? A good set of mudguards. 🙂

rhysishere
    Free Member

Cover the inside of your shorts with gaffa or duct tape (kidnapping tape)

cloudnine
    Free Member

Only ride when its dry and sunny

rOcKeTdOg

Army surplus goretex over trousers from EBay, <£20 just cut down to required length. Pair has kept me dry for two winters now

superfli
    Free Member

I dont wash my waterproof jacket or trousers. Just take my shorts into the shower with me and rinse off then drip dry. My jacket just brushes off when dry

jonba
    Free Member

Normally water proof stuff is a membrane. THe fabric is also treated with a water repellent as that helps them breath.

Using a granger or Nikwax spray may help repel water from the surface an increase the breathability and the water proofing a bit. However, if you’ve damaged the lining then there is little hope for them.

Mudguards FTW.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘altura attack waterproof 3/4 shorts – wet bum – solutions/alternatives’ is closed to new replies.