Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Alton, Hampshire Rides
  • timpol
    Free Member

Anyone know of any good rides around this area?

cinnamon_girl

Yes, there are a few trails that I know but am not a local. I can consult my map and make some suggestions if that helps?

timpol
    Free Member

Yea would be good, ride alot in the Chawton woods which is very good but need a change.

cinnamon_girl

Is your starting point Alton?

cinnamon_girl

To the west of Chawton there are loads of byways but they will be well used by MX'ers. There is a nice bridleway starting from Upper Wield (part of the Three Castles Path) heading in a westerly direction. Great views across to the South Downs.

It will be pretty much bridleway type stuff but some it is so overgrown that it's now singletrack! Do you know Weston Common?

How about Selbourne? Great opportunity now to ride in that area cos you won't be able to when the weather changes 🙁

timpol
    Free Member

how come you know the area so well?

cinnamon_girl

Cos I like to ride all over the place! Couldn't ride the same area all the time, that would be boring. There's so many nice parts of Hampshire. Have you checked out the HCC routes?

sootyandjim
    Free Member

timpol – I still have a couple of old riding mates at RAF Odiham just up the road and I know they have some mtb routes in the area in a downloadable format of some kind. I'll give them a nudge, see if I can get you owt.

Noworries
    Free Member

Cinnamon girl pretty much summed it up. I have to admit, I always enjoyed the ridethrough Chawton woods, into Beech, over to fourmarks then back through the woods to Alton.

timpol
    Free Member

hcc routes? to be honest ive got chawton woods on my door step so go up there alot, got some good trails. Have been going to the trail centers alot to. Cheers for your help

hilldodger
    Free Member

Not local either but like to ride Hampshire trails, plenty of info here
    😀

cinnamon_girl

timpol – is it open access at Chawton then?

sootyandjim – I would also be interested in those routes. Thank you.

It's a good area for singlespeeding 🙂

timpol
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – yea it is open access, its one of those places that on a map doent look that good but has some of the best trails around here. Took quite alot of exploring but have about 2 hours + of rides through it now.

cinnamon_girl

Sounds as though I will just have to do some exploring then 🙂

Cheers.

manton69

Another shout for Chawton Woods. I spent a couple of hours just exploring last weekend. People have spent some time putting in a few trails and singletrack with some good techie descents. A mate who lives next to it had not explored that much so we just went with a gps and got lost. Have to get out there again soon.

timpol
    Free Member

if anyone doesnt know it and wants to meet for a ride im up there quite alot and willing to show the good bits ive found. Some very good single track

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Timpol – The two chaps I know at RAF Odiham are both in a hot, sunny, beerless and most importantly, bikeless place overseas so I'm afraid I couldn't get any info off them.

timpol
    Free Member

sootyandjim – cheers for trying

cinnamon_girl

timpol – if you have any grid references, that would be really useful. I have ridden through there and seen some singletrack but reckon that with these dry conditions, it's definitely worth another look.

timpol
    Free Member

cinnamon girl- sorry havent got any grids, is very worth just having a snoop around. Southern XC were up there a month or so ago so the tracks are quite open at the moment. would really recommend it

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Alton, Hampshire Rides’ is closed to new replies.