Alternatives to Tivo?

Home Forum Chat Forum Alternatives to Tivo?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Alternatives to Tivo?
  • Premier Icon miketually
    Subscriber

Following on from the Why do people pay so much for Sky? thread, we currently get TV from Virgin, with the L package and Tivo. Apart from a couple of kiddie channels, we pretty much entirely watch programmes available on Freeview and recently got a FreeviewHD Smart TV so are thinking of binning Virgin TV.

Once we get the arial sorted out, we’re covered for free channels and for catch-up, but what about recording TV? We have a Tivo box via Virgin and so would need to find some way of replacing that.

Any experiences/suggestions?

titusrider

Talktalk internet, call and TV package is dirt cheap and has an integrated iplayer/4od/all the others freeview box which is nearly as good as recording

brakes
    tartanscarf

All you’re looking for is a PVR (Personal Video Recorder) so if you have Freeview channels get an integrated Freeview PVR. We have a humax Freesat PVR which was £200, gives us more than enough channels and recording capability. £200 and no subscription.

Premier Icon miketually
    Subscriber

Talktalk internet, call and TV package is dirt cheap and has an integrated iplayer/4od/all the others freeview box which is nearly as good as recording

My parents get broadband from TalkTalk. Ours is 30 times faster.

We ‘need’ recording, so we don’t have to wait for programmes to show up on on demand. I want to watch Tour highlights (or whatever) as soon as the kids are in bed, not when ITV decide to add them.

Premier Icon miketually
    Subscriber

All you’re looking for is a PVR (Personal Video Recorder) so if you have Freeview channels get an integrated Freeview PVR. We have a humax Freesat PVR which was £200, gives us more than enough channels and recording capability. £200 and no subscription.

I’ve a feeling that new box + arial costs are going to make dropping the TV pointless.

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

freeview box which is nearly as good as recording

it’s not really though is it? Plenty of channels with no on-demand service, plus it means you can’t pause live TV.

jon1973

Why don’t you just cut the TV package down to M+ ? That’s what we did, just went for basic everything – I think we pay £40 something a month for the broadband, TV and phone.

Premier Icon miketually
    Subscriber

Why don’t you just cut the TV package down to M+ ? That’s what we did, just went for basic everything – I think we pay £40 something a month for the broadband, TV and phone.

I think we lose the Tivo if we do that? Or, have to pay an extra fiver a month?

jon1973

No, we have tivo. You can still use all the functionality. The rental for tivo is about £5 a month, but I suspect you’ll be paying that anyway as part of your package anyway (unless you’re on a special deal). It’s worth giving them a call. The £40 we pay included the box rental, with M+ TV, 20 meg internet and phone.

unovolo

If you have a aerial you could buy a 2nd Hand/Nearly new Talk Talk youview box off ebay for about £60.

This is the recordable one made by Huawei for Talk Talk, it records(obviously) and gives access to all the youview content and On Demand when connected to the internet.

You don’t have to be a Talk talk customer for the box to work, I have the BT Youview box(which is reputedly better/but more expensive if buying)and have my phone and broadband with a different provider.

The on demand content on You view is slightly different than freeview as its more integrated into the menu/Tv Guide, you also have access to Milkshake Player for the Kids, Dave for the Blokes plus you can buy extra content via Now TV and Sky store.

I have had mine for several weeks now and don’t miss Sky that I had previously.

Premier Icon miketually
    Subscriber

Just checked the Virgin website and we would keep the Tivo if we dropped to M TV. Problem solved 🙂

Thanks everyone

northernmatt

I did the same as you, basic everything but keep TiVo. £31.50 a month I think.

Might get rid when it’s up though as the M tv is basically freeview, we don’t use the landline, broadband is the only thing we really get a lot of use out of. Will probably look at a Humax PVR recorder doodah, you can set them to receive everything anyway not just the UK freesat channels.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to Tivo?’ is closed to new replies.