• This topic has 40 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by tang.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Alternatives to Merrell shoes
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’ve had Merrell shoes for years and always found them great, but in the last couple of years quality really seems to have nosedived and they just don’t seem as well constructed anymore.

The inners wear out in next to no time, so I feel it’s time for a change

What’s a good brand for casual non trainer shoes similar to Merrell?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Do you want outdoor style/approach shoes, if so Salomon or North Face.

binners

I found the same. Had loads of pairs of Merrells over the years, and recently they do seem to have taken the ‘**** it, we’re fashionable now, everyone will keep buying them anyway, so lets just make them in the cheapest 4-year-old-employing sweatshop, with the crappest materials, and stick our name on the side of them” approach

I’ve opted for Teva’s or Keen

Both miles better quality!

scruff
    Free Member

As soon as you can buy them in Sports Direct then they wont be any good. My North Face surprisingly seem really good, although the red has turned pink.

Clobber
    Free Member

I was a total Salomon fanboi but they seem to have gone completely shit too, will never buy Salomon shoes again…

Jamie
    Free Member

Which type of shoe? As, conversely, I have switched from Converse to Merrell, due to the latter being a bit more supportive for my ropey feet.

…but then I am talking about casual shoes.

I was a total Salomon fanboi but they seem to have gone completely shit too, will never buy Salomon shoes again…

I just bought, and had several runs, in their Fellraisers. No complaints so far. I assume their running stuff is different to day to day/hiking stuff, tho?

DezB
    Free Member

Kefas. Boots & trainers bought from Sportpursuit. Great quality and fit. (amazon sell them)
    Salomon can’t be beaten for durability though IME.

Clobber
    Free Member

DezB, My last two pairs of salomon have fallen apart very quickly

ton

are they to be used for cycling in, as opposed to cycling shoes?

don’t laugh, but I have just put 1000mile into a pair of these,

far comfier than any cycling shoe I have ever used….grippy, nice to walk in, and a bit trendy……. 8)

scud
    Free Member

My wife bought me a pair of Raichle trainers about 4 years ago and they are still going strong, gore-tex lined and proper Vibram sole, not the most stylish looking but have taken the most abuse, long out-lived the Salomon trainers i had about the same time.

DezB
    Free Member

DezB, My last two pairs of salomon have fallen apart very quickly

(“IME” = In my experience.) I’ve had my XAs for years. They been used for everything, been in the washing machine a few times – not a stitch out of place. Oh, the bit where you tuck the lace under has a 2mm hole in it. Fantastic shoes.

Clobber
    Free Member

I agree to a point DezB, see my earlier post, they were the only shoes I would buy, but the last two pairs have been utter shite

creagbhan

Anatom from Cotswold. British designed n mine seem durable and are comfy

Sandwich

Scarpa, if you’re quick there were some on Rock and Run for £32 plus postage.

Jamie
    Free Member

@Ton

Nike make/made some great shoes for cycling in, and then being able to walk about without looking like you had orthopaedic shoes on.

I use these:

Sadly, Nike don’t do the 6.0 range anymore, so gawd knows what I will do when they fall apart. Although, it has been about 4 years and they are still going strong.

fasthaggis

Keen are excellent, as long as you don’t mind looking like you have a pair of Bridies on your feet*

* I don’t 🙂

chrisdw
    Free Member

Im a massive Nike 6.0 fan too.
    They’re the only skate style trainer I have had that last linger than a month or so. Last pair I got on eBay from a tiny skate shop.

They are just about wearing through in the soles now. Replaced with some five tens. They have almost had it after 6 months. Don’t use them for cycling either as I use SPD.

Teva is next on th list i think…

DezB
    Free Member

I rated Tevas until This very weekend when I found the sole hanging off on mine. They are half the age and quarter the usage (note: not a precise measurement) of my Salomons… 🙂

WillH

I once had a pair of Salomons that were the most comfortable pair of shoes I’ve ever worn. After that I ended up with Merrells for a number of years, but as my last pair are currently held together with ShoeGoo and have numerous gaping holes, I recently went shopping for replacements.

I came to the same conclusion about Merrells. Styling seems to have gone downhill as well as quality (subjective, but I don’t like the new styles).

I ended up with some Keen somethingorothers, Targhee II’s according to the website. They are without doubt the least grippy shoes I have ever worn, including flip flops on wet polished floors. The soles must be made of Teflon or something, it’s truly staggering how they’ve managed to make a trail shoe with such little grip. I’m going to take them back as not fit for purpose. There’s always the possibility that they’re from a dodgy batch I guess.

Edit: On a positive note they are very light compared to my old Merrells, and also very comfortable. But I just remembered the left one has developed a loud squeak/creak on heel-strike, after about a month’s use, so they’re definitely going back.

hot_fiat

TNF Hedgehogs. Very nearly bought some at the weekend, but decided to wait ’till I go back to the US. I really like Salomon shoes for comfort & fit, they just need to abandon their proprietary Contagrip sole material as its lethal on anything slightly damp.

wordnumb
    Free Member

ignore me

willard

I keep meaning to try something else apart from my Moab Ventilators for general day-to-day wear, but every time I need to replace a pair, the other things I want to try (Haglofs Roc, etc) are out of stock in my size.

The Keens look interesting (especially the Wichita shoe), but I’d like to see them in the flesh before buying a pair.

mogrim

Anyone tried Vivobarefoot shoes? Quite like the idea, just not sure about the quality (some doubtful reviews on Amazon…)

mattbee

Five Ten Camp Fours are great ‘approach’ type shoes. Wear mine loads. I find Salomon pretty good too, as ‘apparently’ do the guys in black based in Credenhill, massive order placed earlier this year.
    I too gave up on Merrel after several years in them, quality nosedive IMO.
    Raichle are now branded as Mammut, have a pair of Raichle 4 season boots but no idea what their less technical stuff is like.

ransos
    Free Member

Meindl. My Teva shoes fell to bits.

momo

I bought a pair of Mammut approach shoes on Sunday, haven’t worn them much yet, byut proving to be fairly comfy so far, only time will tell on their longevity.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Salomons – period.
    Only other I’ll wear is 5:10’s as Mattbee – comfy, grippy and heardwearing

colournoise

Salomon or Keen.

funkmasterp

Anyone tried Vivobarefoot shoes?

I’ve had quite a few pairs of them with mixed experience. Off road mid and the Ra shoes fell to bits in less than a year, but the blue trainer (can’t remember model) have lasted just over four years. Getting a bit tatty now though. Don’t think I would buy again as they are quite overpriced IMO

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Teva were a massive disappointment for me. Fell apart. Twice.

My Haglofs on the other hand…….Excellent.

mogrim

I’ve had quite a few pairs of them with mixed experience. Off road mid and the Ra shoes fell to bits in less than a year, but the blue trainer (can’t remember model) have lasted just over four years. Getting a bit tatty now though. Don’t think I would buy again as they are quite overpriced IMO

Cheers, sounds fairly similar to the opinions on Amazon, and they certainly aren’t cheap. Have you found any alternatives?

fathomer

I got a pair of these Salomon’s before a trip to the states where we did loads of walking, including up a river. They still look good as new and they’re dead comfy. Annoyingly I paid about £15 more than they are now as well!

andyl
    Free Member

TNF Hedgehog

ditto. Vibram sole and seem well made.

funkmasterp

Cheers, sounds fairly similar to the opinions on Amazon, and they certainly aren’t cheap. Have you found any alternatives?

I actually really like the Merrel tough gloves, trail gloves, vibram speed or just the no footwear option. Only really wear shoes in winter, for work or running TBH.

funkmasterp

I actually really like the Merrel tough gloves, trail gloves, vibram speed or just the no footwear option. Only really wear shoes in winter, for work or running TBH.

A website called birthday shoes does a good range of reviews for zero drop and so called bare foot shoes. It’s worth checking out for in depth product reviews.

dekadanse
    Free Member

Campers – worn them for years.
    Great styles, very well made, very comfy – and they last and last. I have a couple of pairs from 2002! Made in Majorca.

mogrim

A website called birthday shoes does a good range of reviews for zero drop and so called bare foot shoes. It’s worth checking out for in depth product reviews.

I’ve got some Trail gloves that I like wearing around for shopping etc., they’re just a bit too informal to wear to work! I’ll check out birthday shoes, thanks for the link.

nickc

Any views on Scarpa? I quite fancy a pair of Mojitos

LMT
    Free Member

I had some goretex soloman ones for about a year, they eventually fell apart, just got some Jack Wolfskin trainers for walking to work, waterproof and comfy, will see how long they last.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

I thought they were only made to walk round Bowness or Ambleside !!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to Merrell shoes’ is closed to new replies.