Alternatives to Jira?

Home Forum Chat Forum Alternatives to Jira?

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Alternatives to Jira?
  • Premier Icon oldtennisshoes
    Subscriber

Needs to allow options for flexible boards – scrum, kanban etc., and provide burndown reporting functions.
    A hosted web based would be the best model.
    I know Trello can be fudged with 3rd party add one to do the burn down / up, but other options?
    Doesn’t need to be free.
    NOT service now.
    What you got?

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

What parts are wrong with JIRA for you?

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes
    Subscriber

What parts are wrong with JIRA for you?

None, I’m just on a gig at an organisation that doesn’t have it, and I want to do a small options appraisal of possible solutions,
    Personally I have a love hate relationship with it, but on the whole I’m happy to use it.

Premier Icon marcgear
    Subscriber

pivotal tracker? sprintly?

mostly these tools are horrible though

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

I thought the thread title was a typo, I was going to recommend Highland Park.

rene59

What you got?

I have got no idea what any of that meant.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

We use Jira at work, it ticks all your boxes as far as I can see…

chvck

Intellij Youtrack? I’ve not used the charting, only used it as a kanban but seems to support doing burndown etc…

willard

Can you not just use the cloud instance?

I mean, if you like your bug data being stored on someone else’s computer…

How about Jenus? It’ll scram with any meltback caused by Sprintly & probably be compatible with BLART (if youv’e got it)
    You may struggle getting it to pinge though. If you do struggle, just agripulate the swarm setting in Conjure. That usually sorts it.

Failing all that, Caol Ila.

HTH.

cozz

none of that makes sense to me, I only clicked because i thought it was a dyslexic Whisky thread

so Im off

Not hands on feedback from me but when we rolled out Jira many of my colleagues moaned that they preferred Asana.

IHN

How about Jenus? It’ll scram with any meltback caused by Sprintly & probably be compatible with BLART (if youv’e got it)
    You may struggle getting it to pinge though. If you do struggle, just agripulate the swarm setting in Conjure. That usually sorts it.

This is one of the best things ever written on STW.

We use Jira and Trello.

Alternatives to Jira? Well, there’s punching yourself in the face, shoving forks in your eyes, slamming the fridge door on your cock…

I’ve used Rally (Now CA Agile Central – WTF?) in the past for agile teams and it was pretty effective, I’d recommend it. Not sure it covers all your use cases but I guess you can research it yourself.

Everyone bangs on about Agile but IME it’s mostly a big company tool to control people. If you work with decent developers who can manage themselves properly (and have decent amounts of common sense) you can do without it. Agile has just taken common sense approaches and packaged it up into a framework that many people follow too militantly to the detriment of projects and the people around them. I found in my big company experience the point of it was lost, and too much time was spent bickering about the tense of stories / wrapping chores up with story points / trying to hit a magical number of story points etc, rather than just getting the work done.

These days personally for me a trello board is enough … like I say that’s only going to work if developers can remember their names / what they are supposed to be doing.

Premier Icon krixmeister
    Subscriber

Jira is a nightmare to set up, and is generally overkill for many companies. I’ve become quite a fan of Pivotal Tracker.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber
    andrewreay

Failing all that, Caol Ila.

HTH.

Genius, although you don’t say if it is cloud-based…

chvck

Everyone bangs on about Agile but IME it’s mostly a big company tool to control people. If you work with decent developers who can manage themselves properly (and have decent amounts of common sense) you can do without it. Agile has just taken common sense approaches and packaged it up into a framework that many people follow too militantly to the detriment of projects and the people around them. I found in my big company experience the point of it was lost, and too much time was spent bickering about the tense of stories / wrapping chores up with story points / trying to hit a magical number of story points etc, rather than just getting the work done.

Agile is wide ranging. At work we follow a more “scrumban” approach. We have a kanban board, do a daily stand up, 2 weekly sprints with a retrospective. We have no stories, points etc… I think that half the point of Agile is that you can pick and choose the bits that work for you.

Subscriber

Genius, although you don’t say if it is cloud-based…

or DPA compliant 😡

whatnobeer

Spot on Sandy. Having recently worked with and engineer who had moved from a big team to a very small one who insisted on implementing Scrum, he missed the point spectacularly. No picking and choosing, very little compromise on how it should be implemented, way too much bickering about unimportant BS. After 6 months I quit as in a team with 4 Devs it was totally unnecessary and wasted so much of my drastically underpaid time.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

This is one of the best things ever written on STW.

I think the best thing about it is that it’s totally Poe’s Law.

ade9933

A whiteboard 🙂

Some context would be useful. Team level, portfolio level, product level, personal level?

What’s important – flexibility, consistency, reporting, adaptability, hosting, centralised admin… etc

Much preferred Asana. Used to use it, but just as they added better functions, we switched to JIRA. And it’s crap.

willard

Chvck, it’s things like this that convince me more and more that people don’t need Agile, they need a hybrid approach to how the develop and test.

Half the time, large companies just seem to want to go Agile because it is cool and waterfall is to expensive. They end up ‘agile’ because they basically just remove most/all of the formal documentation, but don’t do grooming or backlog or any of the more useful parts of Agile. It’s chaos.

IHN

Half the time, large companies just seem to want to go Agile because it is cool and waterfall is to expensive. They end up ‘agile’ because they basically just remove most/all of the formal documentation, but don’t do grooming or backlog or any of the more useful parts of Agile. It’s chaos.

This. I like to call it ‘whirlpool’

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

Everyone bangs on about Agile but IME it’s mostly a big company tool to control people.

Our SW Team are Agile apparently, use all the tools. They have one SW release a year and it’s normally 6-12 months late and missing all the features it was supposed to have 😉

mrblobby

😀

Our SW Team are Agile apparently, use all the tools. They have one SW release a year and it’s normally 6-12 months late and missing all the features it was supposed to have

See this a lot too 🙂 Say they follow Agile, use all the tools, but when you actually look at what they really do it’s still waterfall.

Subscriber

It’s not for software development :mrgreen:

Premier Icon jimdubleyou
    Subscriber

like I say that’s only going to work if developers can remember their names / what they are supposed to be doing.

Where do you find these mythical beasts?

AlasdairMc

Jira for me, with Confluence used for evolving design documentation required to support the product in the end (bank system).

As an organisation we’ve built an Agile framework but it’s too restrictive and you spent more time on ceremonies than actually doing the work, so my current team of three simply uses a physical Kanban backed with Jira/Confluence for acceptance criteria and design docs.

There’s probably an appetite to move to something else, but even getting Jira used widespread was a challenge for somewhere as glacial as us

Alternatives to Jira? Well, there’s punching yourself in the face, shoving forks in your eyes, slamming the fridge door on your cock…

Yup. Done all that.

They still make me use JIRA.

Sinkhole? Tarpit?

My crowning glory was confusing the server enough to take the whole thing off line for 24 hours while they tried to work out what I’d done.

TBH. I did exactly the same thing as a colleague did the week before. Took him half an hour to explain how to do it…….

Premier Icon jamj1974
    Subscriber

In business and IT in particular, most of my roles have been in change and governance. Pragmatism is key to making any approach work – regardless of methodology. Only have controls and systems in place that remove the right amount of risk.

Any system and any methodology can cripple delivery and innovation if applied slavishly. The problem is that a lot of organisations totally **** that up – with too much or too little control.

*Edit. Jira, Rally and a whole lot of others all can be used badly or well.

russianbob

Any particular reason for the big NOT SNow? Aside from the price.

Genius, although you don’t say if it is cloud-based..

Sorry, that was yesterday!
    Its not cloud based, it’s in Atmos, which is similar, although you can vassilate it to doubleflow if you like. Only thing is that it can cause problems on CINK overflow, but you can get around that by speeding up the BLART setting.
    Our company tends to stick to String as you get very little oversype.

Subscriber

bollocks to that patient transport job, I need a new wagile coach, when can you start?

Premier Icon nixie
    Subscriber

Jira seems to work ok. However if the supposedly ‘agile’ US web agency is anything but (they are bad waterfall plus blame everyone but themselves at best) then it’s no more than a glorified, expensive ticket system. Same with confluence, works ok but then so does media wiki, but if your developers don’t read the documentation then it’s just a lead weighted tick box.

follow Agile, use all the tools, but when you actually look at what they really do it’s still waterfall.

But without any documentation to aide the actual implementation. And the first show and tell is apparently the final locked down version. Basically, agile can be an excuse to just manage/develop lazily.

Premier Icon BigEaredBiker
    Subscriber

It’s usually Jira or Visual Studio Online/VSTS at work depending on the team. I use https://kanbanflow.com/pricing if I just need a simple board and want to get going quickly. It’s free for basic stuff or $5 per user per month for extra features – swimlanes, CFD’s, file imports/exports etc.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.