Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Alternatives to Jedi
  • toys19
    Free Member

I’ve been to Jedi twice and would only ever recommend him, I do regulalry on here. But I have a road trip coming up in mid april and I really wanted to get some coaching in as part of the trip. Unfortunately he is booked up until august!!!

So can anyone recommend any coaching in the south? Even in the south west? They need to be bloody good…

nealglover
    Free Member

Alternatives to Jedi

Sith ?

toys19
    Free Member

Sith ?

Yeah they lost out in the end, so you fail.

geoffj

Ed Oxley, but he’s NW

toys19
    Free Member

Is he that good?We would travel. Any good uplift near him?

brant
    Free Member

Ed’s quite different to Jedi as far as I can tell. Ed won’t show you the skills to clear a 10ft gap jump, or ride woodwork or stuff.

But he’ll show you some magical stuff in a subtle lovely way that you will keep with you and be able to put to use on the trail.

klunky
    Free Member
    toys19
    Free Member

Brant, I dunno if I would ever clear a 10 ft gap! TBH despite Jedi’s image I wouldn’t define him as only someone who will teach you how to get big air, he gives you subtle stuff that helps all level. So with that in mind your description of Ed sounds ideal….

iain1775
    Free Member

Brant
    In describing Ed as an opposite of Jedi, you actually described perfectly how Jedi operates!
    Perhaps not so different

RobHilton
    Free Member

So with that in mind your description of Ed sounds ideal

Poss. will be covering the same things?

I’d be interested in a comparison; I’ve been to Tony 3 times (so far) and have come a long way. One of my mates wants to go to dirtschool as part of a road trip but I’m a bit iffy, mostly cos I know he’d benefit masses from time with Tony cos I can really see the gaps in his technique and I know they’ll be covered nicely by him (he won’t listen to me :mrgreen: )

Also, I know where I’d like to take my riding and I know Tony has got what I need 🙂

Edit:

skills to clear a 10ft gap jump

It’s all in the mind 😉

toys19
    Free Member

iain1775 – Member

Brant
    In describing Ed as an opposite of Jedi, you actually described perfectly how Jedi operates!
    Perhaps not so different

Iain, exactly what I was mumbling above! Defo agree.

It’s all in the mind

Damn you rob, have you been watching me? My mind is my ridings biggest problem..

I have learnt so much from Tony too, and feel like there is more to come, so I am unkeen to go elswhere.. But I kind a need to do something in april so will probs have to.

RobHilton
    Free Member

have you been watching me?

A boy’s gotta have a hobby

nealglover
    Free Member

Yeah they lost out in the end, so you fail

Yeah but they were pretty bad ass while they were doing it though 😉

+1 for Ed Oxley by the way.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Maybe ask Tony who he’d suggest.

I think we nabbed the last April spot just before Christmas. 😉

doug_basqueMTB.com

+ however many that is now for Ed-O. Stuff that has a massive effect on people´s riding and is useful in loads of different situations.

somafunk

If it’s not to forward to recommend a mate i’d advise you to try Clive Forth at MTB Skills, he’s a very good rider but more importantly he’ll squeeze that last 5% out of your technique that turns you from a competent rider into a good rider.

brant
    Free Member

Brant, I dunno if I would ever clear a 10 ft gap! TBH despite Jedi’s image I wouldn’t define him as only someone who will teach you how to get big air, he gives you subtle stuff that helps all level. So with that in mind your description of Ed sounds ideal….

I am sure Tony Jedi could have you sailing over one. I do want to do a day with him at some point as I would love to have a go.

jam-bo

jay williamson does coaching sessions at gawton

rideslikeagirl
    Free Member

I’ve actually had a day with Jedi and Ed so can probably do a bit of a basic comparison.

Jedi – He got me riding stuff I never would have thought possible! Gap jumps, big drop offs, all things I would have usually passed on. He did focus a bit on improving riding technique too but mainly provided a huge confidence boost

Ed – I’d say he was less of a “lets clear this gap jump that you never thought possible” and more of a lets improve general existing technique guy. Rode Lee Quarry with Ed and I’d definitely say my riding has got faster and more controlled following my sesh with him

So if you want to improve riding technique and speed, go for Ed
    If you want to learn new skills and get confidence riding things you shy away from previously, go for Jedi

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The ones I know are up north but big thumbs up to the Guys at Cyclewise for sorting my skills out. It was all the little things that added up into a much faster rider.
    These things are all about getting out what you want or need. If you want to clear 10ft gaps go to someone who teaches that and has the setup. For me at the time it was pumping, flow, and technical trails I was pushing on and specifically doing better in the mega.
    The most important bit is the intro and setting out what you want to get from it. I’d probably never book a group session unless it was with 1 or 2 very good mates with similar aims. I would also avoid anyone who didn’t ask what I was after from the session.

stanfree
    Free Member

I once rode on a BMX track with GW and broke my collarbone. 😉

jairaj

glad I stumbled upon this thread. I just emailed Jedi earlier to day to get the same response ie “I’m fully booked till August”

He said his junior coach Nathan might be free. Any one had any experience with him?

P20

I haven’t personally used either, but wor lass went to Ed. The difference was massive. Much more confident. Able to carry speed better, more confidence in all areas. highly recommended

Kryton57

Goddamit! I wanted a session this year in July.

Better email Jedi now to get in before 2014!

timpol
    Free Member

Jair- Have ridden with nath a fair bit, he is an amazing rider and has an eye like tony for instruction. Just in casual riding his tips etc have taken my riding on, he is also a top lad.

toys19
    Free Member

I will take the lack of offer of Nath as proof that Tony fancies me and doesn’t want to share a wonderful experience coaching me with anyone else…

yetitony
    Free Member

Another vote for Ed (Great Rock).
    We did a guided day around Hebden Bridge with him with skills included.
    He showed us some great stuff to ride and we all came out riding better by the end of the day.
    Worth it for the great riding in that area alone!

brooess
    Free Member

Cycleactive

Are in the Lakes and are great for improving technique and general flow. Transformed my riding…

qtip

I’d highly recommend Andy Barlow at Dirt School. I’m sure the other Dirt School instructors are just as good.

grittyshaker
    Free Member

I did a two day “Flow” course with Ed at Gisburn a couple of years ago.

He has a lovely coaching approach; a patience that comes through not just in the pace of activities but in the way he speaks calmly, confidently and reassuringly to explain things. He’s good at working the group dynamic to push (gently) each individual’s skills. There was ample time over the two days to reflect on the skills learned (over long lunches at the D&P) and at no point did the coaching feel rushed.

The activities were a mixture of improving flow in “normal” trail riding (using berms, rises and compressions to “pump” momentum from the trail, “chin-up” observation and “body steering”) and also riding obstacles (steep drop-ins, drop offs, jumps).

I rode some sections I’d previously have balked at, had some fun with some nice people, and went away knowing what I needed to work on to improve.

I’d have another session with Ed. I probably should.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I dunno if I would ever clear a 10 ft gap!

Anyone can clear a 10ft gap jump – the trick is still being attached to the bike on the other side…

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to Jedi’ is closed to new replies.