• This topic has 20 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by nach.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Alternatives to Five Tens please?
  • valleydaddy
    Free Member

As a recent convert to flats and getting second hand pair of Five Ten impact lows to try this process out I am looking forward to Winter and wanting a new pair of flat shoes to use when the Five Tens are decomposing in the airing cupboard.

So what should I go for???

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’m inclined to suggest the Shimano jobs, they’re marginally better for walking around in slippy mud, and the lace-flap is really hand in the cold and wet.

(you don’t need to double-knot your laces, so you undo the laces MUCH more easily when you’ve got useless cold hands + soggy wet fingernails)

Northwind

If you can find a pair of Sombrio X-Shazams- the ones with the solid toe, not the mesh- they’re good winter shoes. Warmer, still not waterproof but at least water resistant, not as spongy, hightop. Not as grippy, but grippy enough.

Five Ten do some Element series which are supposed to be more winterised- said weatherproofing is almost up to dealing with a scottish sunny day, but pretty much exactly as useless in winter as a normal five ten. Shoe dryers, and multiple pairs, are the best you can do with 5 10

hopkinsgm

A set of decently weatherproof Five Tens – my Freerider Elements are coming up to their third winter (though they’re used all year round) and have coped pretty well so far. Put your foot down in something over ankle deep and the wet will get in over the top – and you can’t really blame the shoe for that. Other than that, they’ve kept me feet warm and dry. Oh, and when they have got wet through overtopping, they’ve dried out acceptably quickly by stuffing them with newspaper and placing them near (not on) the radiator.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

+1 for the Shimano ones. AM41’s I think?? As above, relatively stiff, good grip on the pedals, reasonably water/filth proof. I’m on my third pair.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Great thanks I’m not complaining about my 5:10 impacts far from it I love them but looking for an alternative as like to try and start off with dry feet so if I have 2 pairs I can ride when the other pair is drying off. I’ll get searching the net

d00m
    Free Member

Another +1 for the Shimano’s – on my second pair. My nukeproof pedals do tend to shred the sole though on the down side. Shimano replaced the first pair when the sole shredded right through in a little under 6 months

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

the shimano AM41’s are due to be replaced by the AM700, so there should be some bargains if you are after a pair of AM41’s

valleydaddy
    Free Member

The Am700 look ideal and come in AberdareMTB blue so I am sold thanks all

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I think Ubyke are the only UK based shop who have them on pre-order.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

The AM700’s look identical to my AM41’s apart from the colour scheme. Same cut, same sole, same lace flap design. I will probably exhaust cheap stocks of AM41’s before I buy the new ones.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Why not look at some 5.10’s. But not the bike ones. I use 5.10 camp fours and they are brilliant. I have had mine for about 6 years (maybe more) and used a lot for biking and climbing all year round. They are not waterproof but don’t hold the water like the bikes ones do and I have never had cold feet in them. Ill buy some more if these ever die.

stuker
    Free Member

+1 for the five ten elements. I use mine all year round and they have kept my feet dry and warm in most conditions barring full immersion in an ankle deep puddle. The only real issue i have found with them is that my pedal pins wore a hole in the soles. I think this is due to a combination of very pronounced pedal pins (specialized bennies) and the soft compound of the five ten element sole. The sole has great grip on the pedal but not that resistant to pedal pin damage.

vincienup
    Free Member

Apparently the new Shimano AM7’s are pretty much as the old AM41 except substantially lighter…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Pleased with my 2F0s so far. That said, I haven’t tried them in winter. Yet. They are very well ventilated, so I reckon a waterproof sock will be in order!

smatkins1
    Free Member

Waterproof socks for me with my 5:10s in the winter, then stick them on the radiator when I get in. They’re usually dry (or dry enough) within 24hours.

Doesn’t matter if they’re a bit damp. If they got that wet the day before chances are they’re going to be soaked again a few mins into the next ride.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I had to buy some 2FO’s as I forgot my 5-10 spd’s.

They are a considerably thinner fit than the 5-10. They seem quite well made though, a lot more ventilated, and as a result let a lot more water in.

Grip is rubbish compared to a 5-10 too, but not quite so important when running clips.

thekettle
    Free Member

Have a look at the Adidas Terrex Trail Cross, same stealth rubber as the 5.10s but with better cushioning, better built and much faster drying. Out of UK stock I think but available from Germany.

DeeW
    Free Member

Got some almost new x-shazams in UK 8.5 for sale if anyone after a pair.

dienamic

I picked up some some cheap five ten Diddie Schneider’s from CRC. They’re clown size only, but were under £40 so I thought worth the risk of them being aimed more at DH riding. I’ve got to say, inn really impressed! Well made, pretty waterproof, lace flap, sewn in tongue etc. They don’t feel heavy, and are really comfy to peddle in, something I wasn’t expecting with them being more boot-like. Only had them a couple of weeks, but I think they’ll be great, especially for the winter!

nach
    Free Member

Someone here was recommending the older version of these Adidas Terrex approach shoes a while back. Toe protection, stealth rubber sole; If I were after new flat shoes, they’d be top of the list to check out.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to Five Tens please?’ is closed to new replies.