Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Alternatives To A Five?
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

OK, no doubt about it, getting a Five is an itch I need to scratch. But… it seems to be a lot of money vs some other stuff out there at the moment (which would lead to me trying to find a good second hand one).

So, with the likes of the El Guapo and Mega knocking around for £600 now, does anyone know of any good Five alternatives sub £1000? Think the EG and Mega are too much bike for me. Maybe not the EG but definitely the Mega. Build I want to put on it is 1×10, dropper, 150mm Revs and lightish wheelset to build up a bike thats fun to chuck about a bit but also good for all day big hill riding.

So, suggestions?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Oh, and whats that German/French site that was selling Five frames cheap?

woody2000

Heckler 🙂

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Heckler doesn’t do it for me… Nickel could be a possibility and Stif are still doing them for £900…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Heckler +1

For the price of an Orange Frame just about anything non carbon

cynic-al
    Free Member

Heckler.

You’ll end up buying a 5 anyway as you’ve been sucked in…

andytherocketeer

probike.fr? or something like that?

Think they were 2010 (or older?) clearance models.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Should add, had an old style Heckler before and hated it. Had a go on a mates Five and loved it. Bit slacker, Maxle rear end etc. Seems to tick a lot of boxes apart from the VFM one when compared to the likes of an EG etc. But don’t like the looks of the EG particularly and like the idea of a single pivot… (got a Blur 4X at the moment and changing bearings is a regularish occurrence).

chillidave
    Free Member

If the El Guapo is too much bike how about the FTM Carbon for £700? In my opinion it looks better than the alternatives, has most of the latest technology and considerably cheaper.

It gets very good reviews as well. I’d have one if only most of the gear I have didn’t suit the El Guapo better.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I’ve got a Five and just looked at the FTM carbon recommended by chillidave. That looks really nice and great VFM.

I do love the Five though…

djflexure
    nmdbase
    Free Member

Had a new Heckler and I have a new Five, they are different bikes, I prefer the Five even though it is uggggly

chakaping
    Free Member

Saracen Ariel may be worth a look. Rides a lot like a Five, IMO. Frame not light but very playful and capable.

New version supposed to be lighter.

grantway
    Free Member

El Guapo !!

But I don’t know I ride a 5 AM :mrgreen:

crofts2007
    Free Member

5.Spot? 2011 frames probably in budget.

Rickos
    Free Member

Stumpy EVO off eBay. Superb bike and will build up as you descibe perfectly. I run mine with DP RTC3 Revs, Roval wheels and 1×10. Medium and Large sizes available here for a smidge under £1000.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-Stumpjumper-EVO-Expert-2011-BrAnD-NeW-FRAME-PICK-UP-ONLY-/200786580850?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item2ebfd01572

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-Stumpjumper-EVO-Expert-RARE-PICK-up-ONLY-Enduro-/200786583710?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item2ebfd0209e

Zoolander
    Free Member

I had a similar problem – went for a five and all is right with the world 🙂

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

Commencal sale frames
    some good deals on carbon and alloy Meta 5.5 / 6 and Super 4’s

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Cove hustler???? CRC are selling them for 1099.. On offer….

Just bought a nickel. The only colours left are White or lime green (medium) …they are being discontinued after this year hence the price drop. If I couldn’t have got a nickel the cove was next on the list…

ljs1977
    Free Member

Only available as a complete but – Cube Stereo?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Those Commencals look really good… And I do quite like the look of a Team 55 but the stories about them snapping etc would put me off a bit. HA might be a bit steeper than I was wanting too…

bigG
    Free Member

nols
    Free Member

Build I want to put on it is 1×10, dropper, 150mm Revs and lightish wheelset to build up a bike thats fun to chuck about a bit but also good for all day big hill riding

Bottlerocket? Sounds bang on.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

BR would come out far too OTT for what I want.

Cheers bigG. Thats original 🙄

ton

coil forked coil shocked five………the sweary way…. 😉

allmountain76
    Free Member

I’ve got an FTM Carbon built exactly to your spec:
    Reverb
    1 x 10 XT
    819 rims etc.

I really cant speak highly enough of it.

Previvous bikes have been Enduro Carbon, Foes FXR 2.1, new shape heckler, Nomad, old shape Heckler.

The FTM has done everything asked of it from long days in the Lakes to the Gondola red at Fort Bill. You can even route the Reverb hose through the frame if you run 1 x 10.

At the price they are a bargain. In the spec below mines at 26lbs. With 2.35 Minions on its about a pound heavier but will cope with pretty much anything a Five will do without the horrendous noise, brake jack and eye popping ugliness 😀

catvet
    Free Member

and that’s pretty????
    should have gone to specsavers!

allmountain76
    Free Member

Nope not pretty. Nor does it look like a blind, thumbless welder knocked it up out of coke cans and pig iron. A happy compromise in other words. 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Nor does it look like a blind, thumbless welder knocked it up out of coke cans and pig iron.

That’s one thing I don’t like about it.

I don’t think you can weld aluminium to pig iron either but I’ll ask the bloke at Orange that welded my 5.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

probikeshop.fr would have been the site, now only got 5 Divas I think.

justatheory
    Free Member

Yeti 575?

pnik

Secondhand 5? wait a bit longer? Loving mine, beauty is subjective.

I love the agricultural look of it.

reedspeed
    Free Member

5 !, was in the same boat,was going to get a second hand one,but waited saved up then specked up a new 5pro!,just do it mate ..

julioflo
    Free Member

I can’t add much, but want to say that:
    I’d never seen many 5’s in the flesh…until last night’s ride. One of my riding buddies turned up with his newly built 5. I have to say I really liked the look it it. Nice and simple, purposeful even. But then I am a simple bike man, I ride an aluminium rush.

Any way, my friend has moved to it from an old 575, followed by a Cube Stereo, followed by an almost current 575. He’s been riding on it for about 3 weeks, so not that long, but so far he feels it’s a far better all round bike than either of the aforementioned bikes. Type of riding, has been South Dartmoor and East Dartmoor including Hound Tor and Lustleigh Cleave area, and the Occumbe Farm DH place near Paignton.

It was lighter than I expected aswell…

superfli
    Free Member

SC Butcher. I ride a heckler myself, but would love the slacker Geo of the butcher.

nmdbase
    Free Member

I ride a heckler myself, but would love the slacker Geo of the butcher Five

There you go 🙂

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

Just get a five and have done with it…

igm

Well there’s always the Alpine 160, the Gyro or the ST4…

Actually having had a quick go on the Gyro, its rather nice – and I may own one of the other ones.

singletrackmind

Transition Bandit .
    Thread closed.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

If the five is the one you want more than the others but it’s just the price then get a second hand one. Otherwise the itch will still be there!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives To A Five?’ is closed to new replies.