Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • ‘Alternative’ wireless shifting (PSA 50% off)
  • bentudder

Bought one set direct from cell cycling web site Feb 2020 (after the Kickstarter campaign backfire) for full RRP $299, arrived about a week later – and another, new unused from eBay from an international seller, must have been in 2018/19 as it was used on my carbon bamboo bike build.

That’s helpful – thanks. My company has an active cycling channel and an office in Singapore, so I’ve posted the invite there. I doubt anyone will bite, but worth a try.

Gut feel (as a former tech journalist who has also worked with startups since): it’s a product developed by a technologist (good) but without manufacturing, marketing or supply chain and distribution muscle (not so good). They’d be better exiting to a Taiwanese major of some sort that can turn a great idea into products that scale. A single 1x shifter with two shifter options, much as Archer has done, would be a good start. I’m seeing a lot of feature and SKU sprawl going on. But I’m no cycling industry insider / expert / etc, so this is a shaky assessment.

monkeyboyjc

Ive looked back through my order history, the eBay one was also 2020 so my mind must have been think I bought them way before covid.

without manufacturing, marketing or supply chain and distribution muscle (not so good).

This cirtainly seems to be the case – they are complaining on FB that shipping costs have increased to $70 to the US per small packet and have had to set up distribution instead of direct shipping.

A single 1x shifter with two shifter options, much as Archer has done, would be a good start.

They have this already – either MTB bar mount, or blip style shifter buttons.

I’m following both shops that are doing the demos on Friday/Saturday in the hope of a live stream or further info.

darksideby182

Interesting new electronic shifting system https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qNV0xiHeAo&ab_channel=BermPeakExpress

teethgrinder

I saw that earlier, had a Google, but nothing on the wheeltop website. That fact it’s for 7-12 speed systems is bloody useful.

dirkpitt74

The NXS system looks interesting.
    How are you meant to route the switches to the hub if the hub sits in your bars?

appltn

How are you meant to route the switches to the hub if the hub sits in your bars?

I think the intention is that you run the wire under your grips and then into the end of the bar. Obviously this is easier with bar tape or push on grips than with a sleeved lock on grip. I’m planning to use a file or a small hacksaw blade to cut a channel in the plastic sleeve of my lock on grips.

That is if my dropper set ever shows up.

luket

Since this thread has popped up again, now seems a good time to ask – who’s still in?

I’ve let my order sit there. Website now says October delivery for 1x bits, November for dropper bits. So in the (unlikely) event that holds true I should expect my bits in the next month. Let’s see…

The website still has some certificate or whatever (I’m probably wrong, I know nothing of the subject) issue as well. Broken website, for many months – just the way to build customer confidence!

luket

Also did anything (news, reviews, videos?) come out of the Singapore trade show thingy a month back?

monkeyboyjc

There was a few Instagram videos of the trade events – lots of pointing at a Brompton mainly and samples on a bench, but I didn’t see any live videos. I messaged both shops that were holding the live events to see if they could do a live video but neither replied.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02xxssfv7jxubBxEo5kHSXopLEbjU4P6UCYTrQDPSS3gCLjpDy1cDiq3Z3QvFd81L3l&id=100071806276272

I’m still waiting, but I’d have thought that they would have started to update with ‘shipping has started’ in October tbh.

That Wheeltop rear mech is interesting – gmbn had one on the tech show and Doddy was mouthing off about how it was ‘copying’ axs title was “fake Sram axs”

– sellers on AliExpress were using axs marketing to get views, I assume Doddy took this as direct marketing from Wheeltop, which it wasn’t. Ironically Doddy then used it as marketing to get more views on the gmbd tech vid he was filming.

China cycling YouTube also did a response to ‘Dobby’

Personally my gx axs was considerably less (from shopping around) than even the best AliExpress cost (when you factor in duty and fees) on the Wheeltop mech so I can’t see it being a commercial success out of Asia – unless someone really wants wireless on a sub 12sp cassette.

monkeyboyjc

Right – I’ve tried to contact cell cycling regards an update this month. I’ve them emailed twice, the I’ve created two tickets on the website over the last 14days and also message on Facebook. No response.

So I’ll be going to the  bank for a charge back by end of the month if they don’t respond. My transaction dates were 29th June, chargebacks have to be handled within six months so that’s December. Shipping is supposed to be this month so if there is no response or email update id assume cell cycling has gone pop.

One of the shops that did a demo with the physical product last month has listed them on their website – but it was showing not in stock.

monkeyboyjc

Email update this morning from nxs

<table class=”wrap” role=”presentation” width=”640″ cellspacing=”0″ cellpadding=”0″>
    <tbody>
    <tr>
    <td align=”left” valign=”top” width=”640″>
    <h1>Distribution and shipping update</h1>
    Again, we apologize for the huge delays. This is very frustrating for everyone. We ran into some unexpected issues with the Android development at the last minute. This caused months of delays. The NXS system is one of the most complex systems in the cycling industry. It was put together by passionate people, not with huge funding from big corporations. But those issues are now resolved. The first release of the NXS app is available. But you won’t be able to see anything without the devices connected. Some people have said we should ship the product before the app was finished. That is just a terrible idea. There were inevitable firmware updates and bug fixes to the device firmware during the Android app debugging. Some of those updates would render the device unusable. We had to wait until the app was functioning perfectly, and properly tested.

Since we started the pre-sales, market conditions have deteriorated drastically. The cycling and consumer electronics markets are very stagnant now, especially for higher end products like ours. Shipping costs have increased to the point that we cannot consider direct shipments. Especially since the war in Ukraine started, the fuel and shipping issues have grown exponentially. Dealers and distributors are afraid to commit to a new product. For shipments, everything will need to go through local distribution. But we need to have a mix of new sales and the pre-sales to support this operation. We could ship by low-cost carrier, such as EMS, but I don’t think many customers would tolerate 1-3 months shipping time, with no tracking and no insurance. We did some of that previously, and it was disastrous. Our product contains a battery, and many of these are arbitrarily rejected and discarded. Its just not worth the risk. Currently, DHL is lowest cost, but its about $70usd for a 0.5kg package even to Singapore or Hong Kong. To USA, its more than $100usd. Previously these costs were $15 – $25. You may be able to get a package delivered from Amazon for $10, but we are not Amazon. We need to pay retail shipping prices, or only small discount. Just 18 months ago, we were able to get a 90% discount on commercial air shipping, now its 20% or nothing at all. The fuel surcharges are more than we used to pay for the entire shipping cost. If it sounds like we are making excuses, yes these are excuses, but they are real operating conditions we need to find a solution to.

So, we are looking for some help from local distribution. Our biggest markets are Hong Kong, Singapore and South Korea. If you are a serious distributor and have interest in this, please contact paulg@cell-cycling.com.

We do have a distributor in Hong Kong (Cycle Gear HK), and he has received a small shipment of product already. These are not pre-sales, but if you are a pre-sales customer in Hong Kong, contact us and we may be able to transfer a small portion of that inventory for pre-sales.

Despite these current challenges, we are still 100% confident in the product and the potential, its just going to take a little longer to get the product into distribution, and to be embraced by customers. The NXS system offers some significant advantages over Di2 and AXS. Once a few customers start to enjoy the product, the news will spread very quickly. We expect in a few months our biggest challenge will be keeping up with the demand.

We want to assure all pre-sales customers that you will not lose your money. Eventually you will receive the product or refund. Its just not possible for us to deal with this it the moment. We cannot commit to a firm date, due to the distribution and market conditions. The number of pre-sales was relatively small compared to the sales volume once this gets rolling, but it’s a lot for a small company like us.

In addition, we ask our pre-sales customers to refrain from negative public comments. That is like shooting yourself in the foot. It only makes our challenges more difficult, and reduces our chance of success. We will definitely get through this, and we ask everyone to be understanding</td>
    </tr>
    </tbody>
    </table>

I’ve asked for a refund and would advise anyone else who has ordered to do the same as there’s only four weeks until chargeback deadlines hit. It’s shame as it looks to be a good product for comparatively little money. If they ever do manage to launch it, I’ll just buy again at full price from a shop – there’s a few in aisa already have it listed on their web sites as ‘coming soon’.

Anyway it was a pain to log in this am, the captcha wouldn’t work and  took multiple attempts before letting me through (also worrying). Looking at my previous ‘dispatch’ tickets on the help desk, they are still unanswered so If I don’t get a response by Monday, I’ll file a chargeback with my bank card.

neverownenoughbikes
    Free Member

It does seem to read that if you are outwith those few markets geographically then you can go swivel. Good idea, terrible management. To then try and blame people for negative social media posts when they have been absolutely shocking at missing deadlines and making false promises with no communication is a bit rich aswell.

monkeyboyjc

Yep – for me it three promises missed / three strikes your out. Regardless of delivery costs they should have sent pre orders by now.

luket

Got the same email. Bit of a dog’s dinner (of an email, as well as of a process/organisation. They don’t come across well, do they?). You’d have thought something could be done in reaction to this situation to get preorders delivered, even if it’s just a one off arrangement with someone in eg the UK to receive and send them on.

monkeyboyjc

You’d have thought something could be done in reaction to this situation to get preorders delivered, even if it’s just a one off arrangement with someone in eg the UK

It seems that they are only looking to get distribution sorted now, after taking preorders with no way of delivering back at the start of the year. The fact they were clearly taking preorders prior to having a product ready for delivery and didn’t have a working accompany app is also very frustrating.

On a positive note I’ve had my refund this afternoon…..

monkeyboyjc

Strangely, after getting a full refund yesterday. Cell cycling have just refunded a further £3.93 into my account today….🤔

dudeofdoom

So….”here’s all our new products, even though we didn’t ship any kickstarter orders, and didn’t ship our previous products either”?

Ah but they did sell ‘some’ stuff but not to all the people that kickstarted it 🙁

There were most definitely were units shipped but I think it was all dependent on what you’d ordered and how lucky you were.

IMHO I think he took the batch that kickstarters paid for and flogged it on the website.

IMHO think you’d be better looking at that new wheeltop Eds if it’s cheap enough or sticking mainstream with axs or di2.

At least you’ll get something you can ride with and has more support/community knowledge.

dudeofdoom

Personally my gx axs was considerably less (from shopping around) than even the best AliExpress cost (when you factor in duty and fees) on the Wheeltop mech so I can’t see it being a commercial success out of Asia – unless someone really wants wireless on a sub 12sp cassette.

Yep I think this is the problem and I suppose the biggest buyers would be the bicycle assemblers who are already in bed with sram which is a known brand.

I’d be more interested in a product which allowed mixing and matching of di2 and axs stuff but I’m sure that shimano and sram would sink that 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.