Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)
  • ‘Alternative’ wireless shifting (PSA 50% off)
  • luket

And then…

What dropper for a gravel bike with a 27.2mm seat tube and only 160mm from top of seatpost collar to saddle rails?

😉

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

What dropper for a gravel bike with a 27.2mm seat tube and only 160mm from top of seatpost collar to saddle rails?

Fully wireless too

montgomery
    Free Member

Looks interesting. Opens up cost effective options for running MTB wide range cassettes with drop bars. So, is there a short length of cable that runs from the Quantum servo to the mech clamp? I’m not clear. If there is, presumably you could mount the Quantum out of the way on the seatstay (or wherever).

monkeyboyjc

For dropper do I understand correctly that I should just buy a dropperator and a second pair of BIT buttons (they come as a pair) but only fit one? It piggy backs on the hub used for gearing as I understand it?

Im a little unsure of how the dropper will work at the moment as it’s not clear on the web site, I’d assume it’ll work from one BIT button.

What adapter(s) would you get for a shimano 11 speed mtb one

Not sure, check the compatibility chart on the web site if you want to run it direct on the mech, but I’d personally use a short length of cable outer between it and the mech.

What’s the difference between “mag” and “straight”

Mag has a brake away feature incase you smack it on a rock etc.

What dropper for a gravel bike with a 27.2mm seat tube

Not sure, there are a few options though… The new enve (145mm stack height) and DT Swiss droppers both would cirtainly work if you’ve the funds. I’m using a  crank brothers 27.2 post but I’m not sure on the stack height but I’d guess it’s close.

is there a short length of cable that runs from the Quantum servo to the mech clamp?

Yes, you can use a normal 6mm cable outer to position it where ever you like, or alternatively run it directly on the  mech.

cookeaa

Hmmm, I’d maybe be interested in 1x-ing my road bike with an MTB cassette and mech but I think I need t avoid new projects for a bit, especially on bikes that are working just fine at the moment…

luket

I’ve gone for a 1x kit plus a dropperator and a second set of BIT shift buttons. Also bought the option to tube fit or mag fit the servo so I can see how that goes in practice with I think the fall-back of frame mounting with a length of normal gear cable.

The mag fit thing does seem a good idea (magnetic so it can take hits and return to position) if it places the thing in an OK position. I could also try it with both mtb 11 speed and old road 10 speed. We’ll see. I think my order will be delayed til mid August because the dropper thing isn’t shipping til then.

Edit: sorry @monkeyboyjc I pulled my finger out and read the website properly after having asked you a load of stupid questions and went ahead and ordered. But I ended up in the same place I think.

I’ll probably get a brand-x dropper. It fits and I like my mtb one of theirs just fine. Its even possible the 105mm one might fit but it’d be tight I think and 85mm sounds like plenty. This kit also solves my lack of a frame dropper cable hole in a frame I really don’t want to drill.

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

I am very tempted to give it a try, but I have my doubts about the placement of the servo for mtb use, it’s very exposed to impacts.

monkeyboyjc

@spaniardclimber Unfortunately the original kickstarter for the x-shifter didn’t go as planned…. Some customers didn’t receive the product and I believe the company went under. The guy that owns cell cycling in bought the rights to the product and started selling under the new name cell cycling, but he has no connection to the original kickstarter project.

I cant speak for the original kickstarter project, but i’ve bought stuff direct from cell cycling with no issues.

but I have my doubts about the placement of the servo for mtb use, it’s very exposed to impacts.

100% agree, that’s one reason why my x-shifter was in a bag on the downtube.

mrl

So for a mountain bike set up I need a 1x kit with tube mount in order to accept a normal cable and outer. I can then mount where ever I want?

monkeyboyjc

Yes – you just end up with a longer cable between the mech and shifter, advantage being you can mount where ever you want, downside is you still end up with cable stretch so have to adjust it after a few rides.

tpbiker
    Free Member

How many shifter buttons can you add? I’m thinking this would be a cheap option to get wireless shifting on my friends tt bike, where shifting from both the extensions and base bar is an advantage

I however see 2 issues with that. 1 is there an aero penalty as that box hanging off the rear mech will cost a few watts, and 2 the blips don’t come as bar end plugs for the extensions

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

downside is you still end up with cable stretch so have to adjust it after a few rides.

Assuming you’re mounting there or there abouts the rear mech – the whole point being its pretty much cable-free – the stretch should be so miniscule as to be effectively zero.

(in honesty I can’t say I’ve had noticeable cable stretch since the days of 6 speed when using a decent cable, I’ve seen it on plenty of BSOs still mind)

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

2 the blips don’t come as bar end plugs for the extensions

Easily “fixed” by sticking them on blank ones.

1 is there an aero penalty as that box hanging off the rear mech will cost a few watts

Easily fixed by not thinking about it. Or telling your friend its more aero than the cables it’s replacing.
    Hell, its a TT bike, just sell them a £3k “aero” cover for it.
    Every amateur TTer knows nothing is more faster than aero and nothing is more aero than expensive.

How many shifter buttons can you add?

24, so good for octopuses that want drop, top and aero extension shifters.

No good for squid doing the same though.

luket

24 shifter buttons?

Is that linked somehow to the support for up to 32 gears? 4×8 anyone?

letmetalktomark

@monkeyboyjc  Did you end up hard mounting the actuator or was it just loose in a bag?

monkeyboyjc

Is that linked somehow to the support for up to 32 gears?

I assume it’s so you can have multiple buttons in different positions doing the same function, shifters on bars and aero extension etc. It’s also to keep the system as open as possible so you could add other functions for other development.

Did you end up hard mounting the actuator or was it just loose in a bag?

@letmetalktomark
    no.its loose in there, never had an issue as the bag straps down and it’s all secure when on the bike. TBF I’d have thought an Enduro strap would work fine.

letmetalktomark

@letmetalktomark <span class=”skimlinks-unlinked”>no.its</span> loose in there, never had an issue as the bag straps down and it’s all secure when on the bike. TBF I’d have thought an Enduro strap would work fine.

Awesome, thank you.

I just need to work out now which of the adapter types would be needed for this set up. Presuming the QTA meaning the adapter thread element would not be needed?

the00
    Free Member

Totally frivolous, but tempted to try this on my Brompton 6 speed to replace 2 shifters with 2 buttons.

neverownenoughbikes
    Free Member

I ended up buying the 2x system for my winter commuter. Should hopefully cut down on cable servicing and cleaning. I do like a gadget.
    Anyone recieved their 1x system yet as they were meant to be shipping July 1st. 2x not until 1st August.

Had been planning on upgrading the winter bike to 105 DI2 until I saw its price!!

monkeyboyjc

The Dropperator is scheduled to begin shipping about August 25

Quantum 1X kits with the Shifty buttons scheduled to begin shipping on about July 30. 1X kits with BIT buttons, August 10.

Front Derailleur and kits with the front derailleur scheduled to begin shipping about August 15.

We will not ship partial orders due to recent high shipping costs. If you do not want to wait, please create a help ticket for refund.

Shipping schedule on the website at the moment…..

Guess that’ll be end of August start of September for me….

appltn

This reminds me I need to find someone with an Android phone by the end of August so I can actually set up my dropper.

reeksy

I love the idea of this. But why oh why don’t people do a better job of their websites?

Just a couple of obvious fixups:
    – a dropdown list to match adaptor to mech type – not a shitty diagram with a cryptic chart
    – mention really clearly upfront that there’s no current IOS compatibility (wonder how many returns they’ll get because of that).

Other than that, i’d be keen to try.

dudeofdoom

@spaniardclimber
    Unfortunately the original kickstarter for the x-shifter didn’t go as planned…. Some customers didn’t receive the product and I believe the company went under. The guy that owns cell cycling in bought the rights to the product and started selling under the new name cell cycling, but he has no connection to the original kickstarter project.

I cant speak for the original kickstarter project, but i’ve bought stuff direct from cell cycling with no issues.

I can :-), being a backer who didn’t receive anything.

I can’t believe by amazing coincidence the bloke on the xshifter kickstarter and behind cell cycling share the same name.

Kickstarters don’t have to actually deliver you anything.

luket

Coincidentally, email received today on delays to their production, shifting their assembly operation from Philippines to Thailand.

I think some delays/issues were to be expected. I can’t imagine it’s easy. From my perspective, placing a pre-production order at half price is to accept that risk and is something of a punt on both timing and ultimately on the quality and performance of what you get. But (accepting the kickstarter history, but that is some time ago now) this not a crowd funding campaign either, it is still placing an order and refundable. Anyway, hey ho, if it turns out to be a couple of months late, so be it. So long as they ultimately either deliver or refund and treat their customers well.

monkeyboyjc

I just picked up the email (went to junk), to reassure people when I placed my first order I did it incorrectly and had to cancel it – had a refund in my account within 24 hours.

I can’t believe by amazing coincidence the bloke on the xshifter kickstarter and behind cell cycling share the same name.

May have got that wrong then, I’m sure I saw a you tube video of the guy going through the original kickstarter issues…..

Anyway, hey ho, if it turns out to be a couple of months late, so be it. So long as they ultimately either deliver or refund and treat their customers well.

The max I’m prepared to wait for any product ive paid in full for is around 5 months as your covered by your bank for goods that haven’t been delivered within 6months of purchase – another reason why Kickstarter are not particularly reliable (although my two experience’s have been good).

So if it’s not shipped by November, I’ll start asking for a refund.

neverownenoughbikes
    Free Member

Anyone else getting fed up with the lack of updates about this. Still no proof the front derailleur even exists. No updates on the website like they promised (videos etc) and their Facebook page just has the same generic “we have run into delays” without ever answering any of the questions asked.

monkeyboyjc

Tbh I’m getting annoyed, giving it until the end of the month…

neverownenoughbikes
    Free Member

Monkeyboyjc
    I’m staring to wonder if the video of the rear derailleur working was just a archer components one rebadged and packaged in a 3d printed case as there was nothing showing the buttons controlling it so all we saw was one bit of the whole set up.
    Cheesed off as it looked like the perfect set up for my winter commuter!!

monkeyboyjc

I doubt it – if that were the case they could just use there own version which I have on my road bike.

The lack of communication is annoying

monkeyboyjc

Shipping dates on the website has been updated to October for kits and November for everything else.

monkeyboyjc

NXS is arriving in Singapore

We are happy to announce the world premiere of the NXS system will be in Singapore, October 7 and 8. After some unfortunate delays, we are finally ready to show the world the revolutionary NXS wireless system.

There are 2 events scheduled so far:

October 7, 4pm, at “The Ride Assembly”, and October 8, 4pm at “iPassion Gadgets”.

We will show a full demonstration of the system. How to install, setup and use.

Revolutionary

The NXS system is about to change all the rules. NXS is an open system that will invite all manufacturers to join our wireless network. We are already working with several OEM component makers on product integration.

NXS Features

The first product release is only the 1X system. 2X systems will be coming soon.

* Wireless network able to connect up to 7 devices.

* Fully mappable buttons and features. You can change the button function on the fly.

* Fully programmable for 2 to 32 speeds

* 150mS shifting time

* Ultralight. Quantum shifter is only 55 grams, including battery!

* Rechargeable battery.

* Direct mount. Mount the Quantum shifter directly to your derailleur for a clean and beautiful installation.

Product Rollout

Due to the dramatic increase in shipping costs recently, most of the pre-orders will be sent to distribution in your home country. Please be patient with us as we setup these channels. We are sincerely sorry about the delays. We will provide some compensation to all pre-order customers in the way of some future discounts on new products

luket

Just got the same. Fingers crossed there’s something happening on our orders then. I didn’t cancel mine. I’m in the process of repurposing my gravel bike dropper post I got for this onto my son’s bike. Could get another but anyway I guess I’ll have a good couple of months before I get any NXS stuff and have to make that decision.

dirkpitt74

Anyone got a link to the website – links on first page don’t work.

monkeyboyjc
    honourablegeorge

So….”here’s all our new products, even though we didn’t ship any kickstarter orders, and didn’t ship our previous products either”?

bentudder

Just bear in mind the first post on this thread was three months ago and so far, no-one seems to have received what they ordered, although at least one person has asked for and got a full refund. Maybe something to put on a credit card if you have one, as you might be covered by Section 75. Note the web page doesn’t seem to show any systems in actual use – the product shots could be renders in many cases.

Have a look at the Reddit thread about the owner’s previous kickstarter as well: https://www.reddit.com/r/cycling/comments/g8f3wd/scammer_alert_xshifter_aka_cell_cycling_aka_paul/

There is a Paul Gallagher who used to work at Harley Davidson and SRAM who is now the president of 派吉星国际有限公司 – that seems to be an LLC of some kind, but I don’t know where to start with that info. He has posted on at least one Brompton user group on Facebook. I haven’t done anything bar really basic digging, btw.

Personally I’d love to see this technology becoming successful: aside from wireless shifting, it would solve several dropper-related problems the bikes in my household face. But I’m concerned that only a few samples from the two companies started have made it out into the wild since Autumn 2016.

@monkeyboyjc
    – how did you come by your setup? You say you’ve been running it for 4/5 years, but it looks like Cell Cycling only started mailing XShifter kickstarter subscribers in 2020, so is it one of the Kickstarter setups, or an early version from the new company? Please don’t feel that I’m picking on you, by the way – you just seem to be the only person on this thread to have touched the product.

bentudder

Whois – Domain was registered on the 24th March this year. Note the page contents is copyright 2021.

Domain Name: NXSWIRELESS.COM
    Registry Domain ID: 2683911679_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
    Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.launchpad.com
    Registrar URL: http://www.launchpad.com
    Updated Date: 2022-05-24T02:15:15Z
    Creation Date: 2022-03-24T03:16:59Z

DNS:
    DNS Records for nxswireless.comcache expires in 2 minutes and 6 seconds
    Hostname Type TTL Priority Content
    nxswireless.com SOA 21600 ns1.cell-cycling.com root@5772485.cell-cycling.com 2022082901 3600 1800 1209600 86400
    nxswireless.com NS 21600 ns2.cell-cycling.com
    nxswireless.com NS 21600 ns1.cell-cycling.com
    nxswireless.com A 14400 162.240.27.118
    nxswireless.com MX 14400 0 nxswireless.com
    http://www.nxswireless.com A 14400 162.240.27.118
    http://www.nxswireless.com CNAME 14400 nxswireless.com
    http://www.nxswireless.com MX 14400 0 nxswireless.com

cell-cycling.com is flagged as a risky click by my workplace, btw. Probably means nothing aside from poor web hygiene, but I ain’t going there without a VM.

Some posts on FB that now don’t go anywhere:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/796190400521866/posts/1672459589561605/
    Brompton Hacks | This is an easy hack to improve the derailleur …https://www.facebook.com › groups › posts
    This is an easy hack to improve the derailleur shifting, it takes about 15 mins. … 2 Replies. Paul Gallagher … NXS Wireless – NXS Wireless. NXSWIRELESS.

Brompton Hacks | Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com › … › Brompton Hacks
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/796190400521866/posts/2700856053388615/?comment_id=2701244000016487
    Paul Gallagher. http://www.nxswireless.com. Will be shipping in a few weeks. NXS Wireless – NXS Wireless. NXSWIRELESS.COM. NXS Wireless – NXS Wireless.

The Reddit post claims a final post to the Xshifter project – I can’t view it as not a backer, but it’s here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598276649/xshifter-worlds-first-universal-wireless-smart-shi/posts/3493838

monkeyboyjc

didn’t ship our previous products either”

how did you come by your setup?

Bought one set direct from cell cycling web site Feb 2020 (after the Kickstarter campaign backfire) for full RRP $299, arrived about a week later – and another, new unused from eBay from an international seller, must have been in 2018/19 as it was used on my carbon bamboo bike build.

monkeyboyjc

Anyone in Singapore on Saturday?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.