Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Alternative uses for old bike parts
  • JonR
    Free Member

I've just taken delivery of a brake I bought from the classifieds (cheers yoshimi) and as I sat here at my desk unpacking it and having a bit of a nosey before work and someone asked me if the rotor was

"One of those things that you put pans on on a worktop"

I rather like this idea, I've got a very natty old Hayes 203 with lightening bolts cut in to the metal and now I think I've just found a use for it. Anyone else found funky uses for the old bike bits they can't bear to part with?

Sparx
    Free Member

disc rotor clock is a fav of mine

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Bored Jon? 😉

I may have a go at the disc rotor clock though!

JonR
    Free Member
    lunge

Great ideas there.
    Has anyone tried to make there own salt and pepper shakers from King or Hope hubs? Or indeed Shimano hubs as I have a "spare" rear one without a freehub that would look great on the kitchen table…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    coffeeking
    Free Member

I've had a few ideas with bike bits but rarely have spares. I like the hubs ideas, and I like the use of a rotor for a pan stand, but at the end of the day a used rotor will sell for £10+ and used hubs are either anchient or horrible looking, or they sell for £20+. Expensive hobby!

finbar
    Free Member

Not a bike part, but i saw a skateboard truck used as an interior door handle.

Lifer
    Free Member

My old commencal disc hub makes a good incense holder[/hippy]

westkipper
    Free Member

I use brake cables/ pinch bolts for hanging metal halide light units above aquariums.
    Also use an old set of EC90 carbon road bars as a wallmounted bike hanger.

Artillerydave
    Free Member

on the skateboard theme my son has 3 old skateboards I mounted as shelves in his room, according to him it is " like well sick, init" (I think that means he likes them!)

c
    Free Member

I like all of these. Art gallery near me has some very cool sculpture in a garden out back made from old bike bits. Always quite fancied having a go at making something for the garden.. would probably end up looking c**p though.

TheSwede
    Free Member

I have a nice race face deus shed door handle.

angryratio
    Free Member

cassette broken down and made into cock rings?

Mrtrotter
    Free Member

Cheers. now I know what to do with that 'dished' rotor I've been trying to give away on the classifieds for weeks!

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

I made a broken skateboard clock for several girlfriends.

Old straight bars make a handy addition to a car tool kit for extra leverage on a wheel spanner.

tinsy
    Free Member

I am still riding mine!!

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

I used to have a de-greased chain as a bracelet.

bassspine
    Free Member

we've used an old XT rh crank as a toilet door handle at work.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Alternative uses for old bike parts’ is closed to new replies.