Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Alternative to ReGo?
  • Fat-boy-fat

Hey peeps. Quick question. Does anyone have a trusty recovery drink they use that isn’t SIS ReGo. Been noticing some side effects from ReGo that make me think it may be pretty bad for my liver/kidneys, so looking for an alternative to try.

hazzatrazza
    Free Member

OP when are you taking ReGo? SiS stuff doesnt sit well with me, especially after a ride when my stomach is empty.

I assume there is a reason you dont have a solid meal post-ride; over an hour drive from the trails, like myself? I would save yourself some money and get some whey protein and have it with some carbs, like a banana to tide you over to your next meal.

mashr

Before the “change your diet” team arrive, I got on well with this stuff: https://www.time4nutrition.co.uk/product-category/pre-intra-post-workout/

Unfortunately I was given it for free, not feeling that I’ll get on so well if I paid for it!

molgrips
    Free Member

Recovery drink works well in addition to post hard ride meals. Post ride carbs should be high GI to promote glycogen synthesis, followed by a low GI meal an hour or two later.

For me, it also keeps the post-ride munchies away much more effectively than anything else.

Re drinks, Torq is excellent but costly. I’m currently drinking whey powder with maltodextrin powder and a little electrolytes, all bought from bulk powders.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Been noticing some side effects from ReGo that make me think it may be pretty bad for my liver/kidneys

What are these side effects? Personally I get on just fine with SiS gear, as do a lot of other people I know.

Alternatively a 3 (large) egg ham & cheese omelette is always a winner post ride, loaded with Protein and damn tasty too.

w00dster

Chocolate Milk Shake. After a tough ride it takes me a while to be able to face solid food – in the winter I’ll have a hot drink (Oxo cube) to replace the salt, have that while cleaning the bike and then a chocolate milk shake.

13thfloormonk

I read an article which put me right off using post-ride protein drinks, the argument was basically that unless you are going really hard, and plan to go really hard again tomorrow, then you’re just de-railing the body’s natural recovery/muscle replenishment systems, and (amongst other things) hampering any attempts at weight loss!

I used to love a Strawberry Rego after a session on the turbo, but was never losing weight, so I’ve binned it. Unfortunately I’ve also had to stop riding due to a herniated disc, so I’ve not yet tested the theory.

I think lots of water and just your usual diet is all you need.

Sorry for the minor hijack.

simondbarnes

Torq recovery

bigyan
    Free Member

What are you trying to get away from? (Maltodextrin, Fructose, Soy Protein Isolate or something else?)

There are plenty of whey protein shakes if you want to get a away from soy. I would recommend getting some samples, as some protein shakes are foul.

mashr

as some protein shakes are foul

Wiggle’s own brand one – saltiest thing I’ve ever encountered! Couldn’t get more than around 100ml down before starting to wretch. So bad that I wonder if it was a batch issue but I’m not brave enough to try again! Especially odd as I like their normal electrolite drinks and caffeine gels

molgrips
    Free Member

I read an article which put me right off using post-ride protein drinks, the argument was basically that unless you are going really hard, and plan to go really hard again tomorrow, then you’re just de-railing the body’s natural recovery/muscle replenishment systems, and (amongst other things) hampering any attempts at weight loss!

I’ve lost weight using it. I’ve found that if I cut down on the carb supplements I end up eating more carby foods. Problem is that carby foods taste so damn good I end up eating much more than I need to.

philjunior
    Free Member

The BC advice suggests just eating a meal straight away if you can. I would suggest staying away from potions and eating food, preferably a nice balanced meal with carbs and proteins.

mashr

I would suggest staying away from potions and eating food, preferably a nice balanced meal with carbs and proteins.

That doesn’t work in all situations though, if i’ve finished beasting myself on the turbo at 10pm then a meal is not high on my list of things to do

13thfloormonk

That doesn’t work in all situations though, if i’ve finished beasting myself on the turbo at 10pm then a meal is not high on my list of things to do

I think that if you’ve already had dinner etc. the idea is that you shouldn’t need a meal after the turbo, so the recovery shake would just be if you wanted to beast yourself again in the morning!

But I get you, if I get off the turbo I want SOMETHING whether it’s my go-to salad with hard-boiled egg chopped through it or a nice big bottle of Rego straight out of the fridge, nom nom nom

Fat-boy-fat

The side effects are basically having to get repeatedly during the night to pee after taking ReGo, no matter what time of day I take it. I only use ReGo if I’ve knackered myself on a very long ride (at least 3 hours) and i know i am going to ride again the next day.

It has always worked a treat at stopping the dreaded leaden thighs but the peeing thing is recent and a bit of a concern. As someone with a bit if a dodgy liver, I tend to avoid food, drink, etc. that stresses it out. A result of stressing my liver has been repeated night time peeing in the past.

May go back to chocolate milk and a small tube of salt and vinegar pringles!

mick_r

Xc training boy chugs through the Decathlon aptonia chocolate stuff with no complaints. Reasonably cheap in 1.5kg bag.

molgrips
    Free Member

The BC advice suggests just eating a meal straight away if you can. I would suggest staying away from potions and eating food, preferably a nice balanced meal with carbs and proteins.

Carbs/recovery first, meal later. It helps recovery, trust me. You may not be bothered about quick recovery, you may remain skinny and have no food cravings either, but we’re not all the same and we’re not all training the same.

PS recovery drink is still food, btw. About as processed as Pringles, or bread or cheese for that matter

joebristol

If you decide a whey protein is a viable alternative then MyProtein Impact Whey is pretty good value and strawberries and cream flavour is nice enough made with water (better with milk but that’s adding calories even with skimmed milk).

chakaping
    Free Member

Chocolate Yazoo, been 50p a bottle at Tesco for ages now.

mcnultycop

As above, Yazoo or similar or just some milk.

steve_b77
    Free Member

The side effects are basically having to get repeatedly during the night to pee after taking ReGo, no matter what time of day I take it.

I’d be looking at wider causes than the use of what is essentially a bit of protein with some added vitamins, minerals, sugar and flavouring if I were you.

stevious

Would nesquik work for you? I used to use it post-ride and got the same effect I get from ReGo (although in my instance ReGo is more convenient).

If it needs to be a powder/water thing then I’ve used For Goodness Shakes powder in the past and really liked it. I think wiggle sell it.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Alternative to ReGo?’ is closed to new replies.