Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Alternative to Outdooractive?
  • Jordan

Been using Viewranger for a couple of years now with the OS subscription and it has fitted my needs very nicely. Have had to migrate to Outdoor active since my subs ran out but the app won’t run on my good but aged iphone.

I contacted support and they have reinstated my Viewranger subs but told me that I won’t be able to use OS maps with it after january.

So, short of buying a new phone. Whats the best alternative? Is the OS app itself any good?

ctleam

Loved ViewRanger. Really disappointed that they’ve sold out to the much inferior Outdooractive.

FOG

Another Viewranger lover here also disappointed about its demise.
    The OS app is fine but it relies on a signal unless you remember to download the section of map you need. I only have a cheap low data phone deal which can’t cope with mapstreaming so have relied on VR. Outdoor active so far seems far inferior.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The OS app is fine but it relies on a signal unless you remember to download the section of map you need

So the same as all the rest of them then?.

asbrooks

Has anyone tried Topo GPS?

failedengineer

Also interested in this – my subscription is due next week. I paid to Viewranger, but was ‘transferred’ to OA (although Viewranger still works). I find OA ok to use, but not as good as Viewranger.

jam-bo

I don’t mind OA for mapping and planning routes etc, but the logging in iOS is awful. I’ve given up as it’s consistently failed to transfer a complete activity to health/fitness despite being in the app. I got a year free premium access moving from ViewRanger but I probably won’t renew it.

nickjb
    Free Member

Maybe most of them, but not the same as Viewranger

thenorthwind

How does the map data get into Viewranger then? Magic?

chriscubed

I didn’t really like OA – perhaps I was biased as it is more money than VR for less

I’m trying Trailforks, which looks good for finding trails, but not so good for navigation (couldn’t figure out how to stop it keeping North at the top of the screen)

And komoot, where I may eventually settle

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yes it is. You still have to download the maps, even on the mythical Viewranger.

chrismac

Another one switched over. I really don’t like OA. It just doesn’t seem to actually know where half the bridleways are. I’m toying between the OS app and komoot

nickjb
    Free Member

Yes it is. You still have to download the maps, even on the mythical Viewranger.

Not in the same way. You don’t need to “remember to download the section of map you need”. You bought regions or countries then they just sat on your phone. Forever. I moved my maps from my Nokia 5800 onto various android tablets and phones over the years.

Davesport

Back Country Navigator has almost filled the void for me. OA & OS maps no substitute for VR IMO. I’ve got the whole of Scotland stored offline on my phone in 1/25000 format. BCN only allows 4 gig in any single directory but it’s easy to set up more than 1 if required. 12 quid a year from memory.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not in the same way. You don’t need to “remember to download the section of map you need”. You bought regions or countries then they just sat on your phone. Forever. I moved my maps from my Nokia 5800 onto various android tablets and phones over the years.

But you had to download it, right? I understand that the difference is that you can download the whole of the UK on VR right? fair enough, I think you can do this on BCN as well, but you need to do it through a load of different folders, so a wee bit more involved at first.

I don’t mind the whole having to download stuff, I always have the Galloways, Arran, Cairngorms and the Lakes on mine, as I use them fairly often for walking, biking etc, it takes a minute or so to download an area that you’re gonna go to the next day, and doesn’t take up masses of space on my phone. Not exactly a deal breaker.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

@Davesport out of genuine interest, what did VR do that was so good that OS doesn’t?.

jam-bo

It just doesn’t seem to actually know where half the bridleways are.

thats a limitation of openstreetmap, not just Outdoor active.

you can edit it if you think its not right but I think most mapping services only include edits once a year or so.

nickjb
    Free Member

Not exactly a deal breaker.

For you maybe. For somebody trying to find a replacement for Viewranger they may want something that has one of the best features of Viewranger. I certainly do, and it doesn’t appear to exist, which it why it is such a shame that Viewranger is ending.

Davesport

@nobeerinthefridge.

A couple of features I miss of the top of my head. First is the ease in BR of creating routes and having the displayed on the map ready to navigate from. The second was the ability to drag the crosshairs on the map to a new location and instantly be able to see the distance to that feature. Also, whilst following the terrain with the crosshair actual elevation displayed in real time.

failedengineer

Has anyone got an opinion of the relative merits of the OS app vs OA? Is it worth switching to the OS app?

rjmccann101

OS do a free 7 day trial. Your best bet might be to signup for that and try it?

xora

OS App has one huge advantage in my mind, you can print a A3/A4 on PC as an offline backup when in the wilds. But also you can take a PDF of that print, georeference it in QGIS then save it to formats many mapping tools including Garmin accept.

jam-bo

Has anyone got an opinion of the relative merits of the OS app vs OA? Is it worth switching to the OS app?

i tried it when I bought a paper map and got a free trial. didnt like it much. OA isnt perfect but I’d say its better than the OS app.

Jordan

I’m wondering, although they told me that I won’t be able to use OS maps with VR after jan. I’m thinking it may still work with my saved maps?

On the subject of saved maps, does anyone know how to export them from VR as a back up somewhere like a PC?

nickjb
    Free Member

On the subject of saved maps, does anyone know how to export them from VR as a back up somewhere like a PC?

They are just files in a folder on your phone. Should be in a folder called Viewranger. You can save them like any file: email, copy to online storage, plug in a USB and drag an drop, etc. If you go into settings on the app and choose storage it’ll show you the file location

Jordan

Cheers! @nickjb do you know if they are in a format than can be used by other apps?

jam-bo

very unlikely.

nickjb
    Free Member

do you know if they are in a format than can be used by other apps?

No. It’s unique to the app. I’m not sure if lifetime maps will stop working at some point. I’m hoping if I don’t update the app the old maps will carry on working. Will have to wait and see.

Jordan

Yep, that’s what I am hoping too.

djtsoton

I’ve switched to MemoryMap. It allows a full download of OS maps to your phone and the PC version does nice route map printouts. It’s not as slick as VR though. But I like lit better than OA.

scruff
    Free Member

Theres an update to MMTracker so it works with older memory map tiles and new versions of Android (11 I think mine is)

tomd
    Free Member

OS have a 1 month free premium trial. I’m trying it at the moment, so far not impressed.

Trying to download an offline map of my local area which has crashed the app. So not a Good start. This is android on latest software and modern pixel phone. App also recognises I have a premium sub but won’t let me view the premium topo.

Sigh. The beauty of Viewranger was the stable app, rock solid offline mapping and being able to download huge areas of the country so you never had to wonder if you have downloaded everything you needed. This OS app feels like losing Windows 10 and getting Vista as an upgrade. Will give it a field test. May still be a viable option as it is cheaper than other options at £26/year

tomd
    Free Member

OS do a free 7 day trial. Your best bet might be to signup for that and try it?

I noticed this morning that it’s 7 days on the website but 1 month via Google play on the app. Wierd

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

OS app is absolutely solid on my phone, it’s improved no end since those early days.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Coincidentally, I’ve just had an email from MemoryMap….

Full lifetime UK 1:25K and 1:50K for £125.

Not what I’d choose to spend, but if they pull plug on VA, that looks a good choice.

northernsoul

OS app is absolutely solid on my phone, it’s improved no end since those early days.

Completely agree (iOS). The one gripe I have is that if I open a route, a good portion of the screen is covered by route details I don’t need – I just want to see the route full screen (which you can do with VR). I think you can “start” the route to remove or minimise the route info, but that’s not how I use my maps most of the time. Typically, I just want a quick check of where I am. Other than that though it’s pretty slick. The route plotting online I found easier than VR too, especially when changing an existing route (at least in the old online version – I haven’t tried the new one yet).

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I haven’t used VR for a while, not done much in the way of riding due to injury in the last year or more, but it’s been great for planning routes and tracking my rides. I’ve been very happy with it and was using it a looong time ago. I paid for lifetime UK OS mapping when they used to offer that option. Didn’t realise they were going to close it down so I email VR and this is the reply:

There will be an announcement soon, but yes, Outdooractive intend to close ViewRanger at the end of February.

When you first connected they gave you a year of Pro+, which includes all the maps they offer. That runs until September. Beyond that you’ll have access to the whole GB at both 1:25,000 and 1:50,00 scale – details of that are being finalised now.

But my main question was if my mapping is still going to be there, I don’t want to find that I’m suddenly have to pay a subscription for something I’ve already paid for, hopfully it will but they didn’t really answer that one so I’ve asked again.

Also, wanted to know what will be on my phone when it does close, will we have to have a new app, really like the VR app, it works, it’ll be annoying if we have to have some new interface that’s crap!

tomd
    Free Member

I got an email from Viewranger yesterday saying it will stop end of Feb but that all one off map purchases will be available at no cost in OA once you transfer. I tried it out and yes it does seem to have worked so I have the full UK 1:50K and various bits of 1:25k in OA. Will test it alongside the OS and see what feels best. They said

One-off payments in ViewRanger
    If you made one-off payments to access maps of an area within ViewRanger, then you will be able to access maps of those areas via the free version of the Outdooractive app and website. The maps will be from the same map data provider or from an alternative map data provider depending on the map region:

• Great Britain: if you currently have access to OS map tiles in England, Scotland, or Wales, you will have access to 1:50,000 and 1:25,000 OS maps across Great Britain.

If I’m understanding it right it looks like if you bought map areas you’re fine, but if you subscribed for map access then not so much.

mrb123
    Free Member

Having had the email yesterday I thought I may as well download OA to have a look at the app.

When I first downloaded it there was a map shown but now I’m just getting a blank screen. Any idea what the issue is and how I pull across my lifetime maps from VR?

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I’ve just had a quick look at the outdooractive app on playstore, reviews don’t look good at all! What the hell have you done ViewRanger!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Alternative to Outdooractive?’ is closed to new replies.