Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • alternative to open pro rims for 700c disc road wheels?
  • antigee

[darkside]
    want to get a second set of disc wheels built for my dropped bar hybrid (kinesis pro6) so can run 22mm road tyres for the odd 100% road day
    obvious choice is open pro rims but the obvious choice for rim brakes that is – any disc specific 700c rims i should be looking at? remembering that most 29niner rims aren’t supposed to be run with 22mm tyres [/darkside]

clubber
    Free Member

halo aerotrack – I have them and they’re decent enough.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Stans Iron cross,velocity A23 or H plus sons Archetype (just ordered mine from jra).

grum
    Free Member

Open Pro CD don’t have a machined braking surface so don’t look like they’re for rim brakes.

H Son Plus rims look lovely but I read they can be hard to build with.

antigee

thanks some useful ideas here
    from what i can see the stans iron cross are tubeless only and the velocity A23 ok for 22mm but better with 25mm – didn’t realise JRA did disc cyclocross wheels

will probably go for the halo aerotracks as thought only available as a wheelset and i’ve already got some hubs

Stoner
    Free Member

auntyG, more here http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cx-wheels-for-road-stuff

And I got a decent quote from 18bikes for the A23s too.

barn
    Free Member

A23 goes well with skinny road tyres – very nice rim.
    JRA built me a disc set which I use tubeless for cross, then swap to road tyres.
    Great build, decent price, highly recommended.

jonba
    Free Member

Exactly what barn said. Like my a23 from jra

gonetothehills
    Free Member

+1 for the Halo Aerotracks. Very robust and surprisingly light – plus they look nice with no braking surface and semi deep section rims. Work fine with 28mm tyres if that’s of help.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

it’s been said already but A23 or Archetype were my initial thoughts

Superstar do some cheap wheelsets which may be a possible budget option, when some reviews start coming through.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Why do you want to run 22c tyres?
    Most rim manufacturers are producing wider rims for better grip/rolling resistance/tyre profile with 23-25c tyres. Thinner does not mean faster it just means less comfort and grip

If you are running disks the H plus-son Archetype would be my choice
    More rim info here http://fairwheelbikes.com/cycling-blog/products/2013-rim-roundup.html

simon1975

Hijack to those that recommended Aerotracks; are they actually OK with narrow tyres? I’ve not tried less than 30mm CX tyres on mine but was thinking about using them later this year with my proper road tyres (24mm IRRC).

They’re great rims – totally robust and lightweight – if you can get over the lack of eyelets.

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Reading this with interest. Quite fancy A23’s for new CX wheels but does anyone have a view on the Pacenti road/CX rims – PL23 and SL23??

grum
    Free Member

Hijack to those that recommended Aerotracks; are they actually OK with narrow tyres?

Quite a narrow rim aren’t they? I’m sure when I was looking into this there was some debate over how good they were with wider tyres as they were pretty narrow.

clubber
    Free Member

Yes, Aerotracks (or Aerorage – same rim, just with a braking surface) are fine – I’ve got a set that have been used with both road tyres (23mm @ 120psi) and CX tyres (35mm up to 80psi)

antigee

some big votes for A23 and for Aerotracks thanks so will probably come down to availability and deciding if the extra for the A23’s worth it for what will be only odd use

MrSmith thanks for link – 22mm came from memory of what i thought had on last “proper” road bike if 23mm is the norm then i’ll go there, i was a bit surprised by the blurb on the Archetype site saying wide rims are good – whichever i go for i’m sure i wont get dropped! 8)

Speshpaul

i went for silver open pro’s so you don’t notice the braking surface.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘alternative to open pro rims for 700c disc road wheels?’ is closed to new replies.