• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by IanW.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Alternative to M&S Insuance to cover bikes
  • nacho
    Free Member

I think there may have been a thread already so sorry if I am going over old ground but can anyone recommend an alternative insurer that covers bikes under their contents insurance as my premiums have rocketed this year!
    Thanks

nacho

monkeyboyjc

The AA….

nacho
    Free Member

thanks gents

fubar
    Free Member

Aviva were a good alternative for me for me (but think the max bike limit is £2.5k)

nacho
    Free Member

Well after 3 days of searching Triton Insurance Brokers saved me around £150 over my M & S quote, so for good bike insurance I would recommend them, Patricia was very helpful and all of our bikes are all covered

fuzzhead
    Free Member

I can recommend Hiscox

arcing
    Free Member

I’ve just checked our product and you can add high value bikes (£5000). I’ve just been quoted £41 to add a bike valued at £3500, £20 for a £1700 bike.

Quote: http://www.yourcoverinsurance.co.uk
    T&C’s: http://www.yourcoverinsurance.co.uk/en/products/home_insurance/core_and_options/contents_insurance/bicycle_cover.html

NB. I do work for Allianz, but have no other vested interest.

njee20
    Free Member

Is it the same coverage as M&S though? The advantage of them is that they offer excellent coverage, many other insurers won’t cover up to the full value if it’s stored in an out building, or away from home, or will have stipulations on the locks required.

I’d be playing with excesses on an M&S quote to bring it down a bit, potentially not if you’re likely to claim 3 times a year for a cracked smart phone, as opposed to only if you’re cleaned out for at least £20k of stuff!

tonyd

I’ve just cancelled my M&S renewal and gone with NFU after reading the recent threads. Couldn’t be arsed to trawl through lots of quote web sites (seems you have to go direct with a lot of them rather than using a comparison site) so just tried a few. NFU came out the cheapest with 4 named bikes and was cheaper than what M&S were offering (before having to name bikes).

When I called M&S to cancel they couldn’t care less, just suggested I try them again next year?!

fuzzhead
    Free Member

I had to claim from Hiscox and they cover up to £5k, new for old, outbuildings are covered as part of standard package.

They were easy to deal with and I had the claim sorted within 2 weeks.

ransos
    Free Member

Is it the same coverage as M&S though? The advantage of them is that they offer excellent coverage, many other insurers won’t cover up to the full value if it’s stored in an out building, or away from home, or will have stipulations on the locks required.

+1. When MrsRansos had her bike nicked, M&S just wanted a receipt and crime reference number in order to pay out.

njee20
    Free Member

When I called M&S to cancel they couldn’t care less, just suggested I try them again next year?!

What do you expect from a call centre!? They don’t give a damn! The woman I spoke to was really amused that they were (at the time) known to be excellent if you had expensive bikes.

tonyd

Quite, which is partly why I was swung to NFU. They were cheaper with comparative cover, but more importantly they’re a mutual and you deal with just a local branch. Apparently the lady I spoke to is one of five that I would deal with if I ever call in and they all sit in the branch 10 miles from me. How refreshing!

granny_ring

tonyd, is the NFU new for old cover on the bikes?

simonjj
    Free Member

Got to thank this thread and fuzzhead for recommending Hiscox Insurance, my current insurer Zurich have a maximum of £400 per bike and wouldn’t budge on covering my boys Status II and my Covert, Hiscox have an away from home amount of £2500 per bike as standard and have covered my Covert valued at £5k with the same level of buildings and contents as Zurich all for an extra £2 per month, i was looking at a Velosure policy which would have been £370 per year for 1 bike only. Thank you!

IanW
    Free Member

Direct Line

Unlimited in the home, garage etc.

£1k free away from home.(£2k max though)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Alternative to M&S Insuance to cover bikes’ is closed to new replies.