Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Alternative to Cotic FlareMAX as a 29er…..
  • Shackleton

So, probably heresy on here but I tried a FlareMAX in 29er guise and while it was great on the downs the seated pedaling position felt too far back behind the pedals (reach felt fine though) even with the saddle forward on the rails. Felt to me like the seat tube angle wasn’t steep enough.

My normal bike is a Banshee Phantom (another slack/short travel 29er) which has a steeper seat tube angle (despite being all the way back from 2014) but shorter reach and felt easier to pedal up hill, but the FlareMax was definitely more capable down. I’d like a bit more rear travel (currently 105mm) and a more supple ride over little stuff than the Phantom gives my ageing bones.

So if I was looking for a long/slack 120-130mm rear travel 29er aluminium/steel frame with a steep STA that would take 130-140mm forks what would folk suggest? Preferably one that I don’t need to remortgage the house for.

Cheers,

S

lawman91

Geometron G13 stands out as the main choice. Was very impressed when I rode one earlier this year. I sized down from a longest to a longer frame (I’m just over 6ft) and it felt great. Only downside was lack of a water bottle mount. Had it not been for that, I would have been extremely tempted by one.

bungalistic
    Free Member

Controversial to NOT LIKE a Cotic, but that’s fair, pretty sure a reviewer said something along the lines of they wished the seat angle was steeper.

How does the transition smuggler compare? That’s what I bought instead of a Flaremax (time will tell if I made the right choice). You could always look at the Starling Murmur too if steel floats your boat.

I’m sure others will be along soon with more suggestions.

ThePinkster

Not too sure about the long & slack bit but I’m looking at getting a GT Sensor AL Comp before Christmas.

I was tempted by a FlareMAX to go with my BFe but just couldn’t justify the extra cost at the moment.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Prime surely?

transition1
    Free Member

2019 Smuggler is 120mm rear & built around 140mm forks think they are dropping the aluminium frame to just carbon but not sure when. Steep seat angle & slack HA & long & low too

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

smuggler!

chakaping
    Free Member

I demo-ed the Flaremax recently too. It climbed well enough for my needs but I agree the ST could stand being a bit steeper.

If you are tempted by the Smuggler (and it’s a great bike!), I’m selling a large 2017 frame with an angleset – which takes the seat angle comfortably steeper than 75deg at the same time as slacking the front out nicely.

Message me if interested, fits medium/large riders and available with RS Monarch and/or CCDB Air and offset bushings to tune the geo further.

<advert ends>

😉

roverpig

Slightly perverse logic, but I love my FlareMax but didn’t really get on with the Smuggler I had before it. Since you didn’t get on with the FlareMax maybe the smuggler is worth a look.

Otherwise how about that Stanton FS ?

Shackleton

Cheers, smuggler looks a good option especially as merlin have 2018 on cheap.

Prime is shorter than my phantom.

Stanton – god yes, but I can’t afford to look at it let alone buy it.

Geometron – same as above.

Shackleton

Does anyone know whether a CC dbair[il] will fit and work on a smuggler? Would find it hard to go back to a standard fox shock…..

dumbbot
    Free Member

Swarf – Contour

http://www.swarfcycles.co.uk/contour-29er-fs.html

In true STW style of recommend what you own, …I own one, not ridden it yet or built it up.

bungalistic
    Free Member

I thought i’d seen someone who had fitted a DBCoil IL to their smuggler so I would have thought a DBAir IL would also fit. People do seem to have room to run fox & rockshox piggyback shock on their smugglers too.

sandal100

I have a DB Air IL fitted on my XL 2016 Smuggler no problem at all. I’ve not had it long so can’t offer too much in the way of tuning and set up tips as not got enough time on it yet.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>I went for the air over the coil as I thought it may blow through the travel too quick on a coil or run a harder spring than what was required to stop it but lose initial sensitivity. </span>

Shackleton

Cheers again. Smuggler looking tempting….

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

i have an inline coil on mine, would be fine

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

@shackleton if your after an XL frame give me a shout – can do a good deal on a G13….

chiefgrooveguru

“Prime is shorter than my phantom.”

The post 2017 Banshee’s have shorter seat tubes so you may be able to go up a size – that’s what I did with the Spitfire.

Shackleton

Just been looking at the cotic geo charts across the range and comparable bikes elsewhere and I reckon they made a mistake. Signed off the wrong plans, made a typo, etc. Who knows. But the flareMAX STA does stand out as odd.

roverpig

The problem is that effective STA is a pretty meaningless number. It seems to be measured at stack height (although even that isn’t clear) so you need to look at the true angle and stack as well in order to correct to your actual ride height.

chakaping
    Free Member

I came up with a killer product idea the other day,… How about a lay-forward seat post to solve these seat tube angle issues?

honourablegeorge

Giant have done the same with the new Reign. Long and slack and all the reach but a 73 SA. Not a good mix.

chakaping
    Free Member

Thinking about it, when I said the FlareMax climbed well for me – I should have added I have stumpy legs so I’m probably not too far back over the rear wheel.

Are you tall OP?

Shackleton

Not hugely tall (6ft dead) but longish legs (35″) so when bikes have cranked seat tubes I tend to come off worse than many in term of seat angle.

How about a lay-forward seat post to solve these seat tube angle issues?

I’m sure I remember seeing some Maverick bikes using a Thompson post backwards to get the saddle in the right place.

Edit – found it.

roverpig

I’ve said it before, but what has amazed me most about my FlareMax is the climbing. It’s great on descents, but I expected that. But being relatively heavy and slack I thought I’d pay a price on the climbs. The relatively slack SA also worried me. But I just love the way it feels on climbs. It just feels so balanced and comfortable. According to Strava I’m faster uphill than on any of my previous bikes, with the exception of the FF29 hardtail, which still wins on very smooth climbs. The longer the climb the better it seems to be. But it’s not just how fast I can go when I want to push it’s also how I can just take it easy if I want to, which is great on a long day out.

I’m not sure if the slacker SA is a factor. I’m not even sure it is slacker as the actual SA is steeper than some of the competition. It may also just mean that I’m a funny shape. But like the bike in general really, I’ve given up trying to figure out why it works and just enjoy the fact that it does. For me at least.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Alternative to Cotic FlareMAX as a 29er…..’ is closed to new replies.