Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Alternative to Chris king hub lube
  • forgotmename
    Free Member

Hello, does anybody out there know of a good alternative to the CK ring drive lube.
    Thanks

tollah
    Free Member

In the winter I use wet lube or suspension oil 7.5wt. It must be changed/topped up from time to time though.

jeb

I taken some finishline cross country oil (green cap, the really thick one, -just some good chain oil) and mixed it with grease: something like 3 part oil, 1 part grease, works super well, never used chris king ring drive lube, done this for years.

forgotmename
    Free Member

Thanks lads, il give it a go.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why not use the real thing?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Don’t use thick stuff it will make a right mess. Use the real thing.

If you are sufficiently poor you can’t spring £7 for ringdrive lube, CK concede that motor oil will work at a pinch.

tollah
    Free Member

Why not use the real thing?

In the winter it tends to go a bit too hard and the hub slips, its the same lube for the bearings which I wouldn’t consider using anything else on (The hubs I’m talking about as I use Rock n Roll White sticky stuff on the BB bearings). As long as you make sure its lubed up when you’re riding you won’t go far wrong with most chain lubes although they can go dry after a wee while which will wear out your ring…….. and that’s never a pleasant experience

jedi

i use dry lube from finish line (well prozac does it for me )
    🙂

P20

The manual used to recommend tri-flow for colder conditions. Last year I ran a mix of ring drive lube and finish line cross country

P20

A little update. Just re-lubed one of my kings today with mainly tri-flow and a touch of ck ringdrive lube. Its running very freely and its a fair bit louder 😆 8) 😆

stoney
    Free Member

A few drops of Mobil 1 fully sinthetic in all mine. Never froze the last 2 winters.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Alternative to Chris king hub lube’ is closed to new replies.