Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • alternative oil for RS Yari lowers
  • joemmo
    Free Member

god knows this must have been asked but I’m struggling to find a definitive answer so please indulge me:

I’ve ordered a new air spring to extend the travel in my Yaris so will need to refill the lowers when re-installing. In my cupboard of lube I have some 5wt Stendec and 7.5wt Motul fork oils from previous front end maintenance so are either of these suitable for refilling the lowers? Is the official RS 0w30 lube the only option or is there something else e.g. a motorbike fork oil that’s suitable?

thanks

benpinnick

The RS stuff is motorbike 0w30 – Maxima ultra 4 I believe. Any similar will do. At the moment I’m using 5w30 in mine as i has a load of it and it’s fine.

joemmo
    Free Member

thanks Ben, do you mean just regular synthetic  5w30 motor oil? If so then I have plenty of that around.

I’m not averse to buying the proper branded stuff mind, just that I seem to have collected a few bottles of random fork lubes (also found some 10wt RSF fluid) and would prefer to use what I have if possible

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sv

Full synth engine oil has worked well for me, used in all fork lowers I have serviced.

glenh
    Free Member

Always use synthetic engine oil for lowers in all my forks. Don’t use damping oil – that’s not what it’s designed for.

benpinnick

Aye Joe as above just good old Synthetic 5W 30 is fine… unless of course you’re planning on riding below -10c, in which case 0W30 would be better 😉

joemmo
    Free Member

excellent – cheers, that’ll save a few quid at least. No sub zero riding not currently planned but give it a few months and we’ll see.

So do I also need SRAM butter for the piston and seals or is Lurpak spreadable ok? 😉

phy7tes
    Free Member

Whilst on the subject … I’ve got a similar dilemma.  Will using Stendec 15wt be ok in Yaris or will I definitely die?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘alternative oil for RS Yari lowers’ is closed to new replies.