Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Alternative Book Thread: Pulp Fiction, what you reading?
  • jota180
    Free Member

Just thought I’d start a thread for those of us that like our reading a little more ‘down market’.

After finishing the Reacher books I struggled to find anything else that kept me coming back but now I’ve discovered Vince Flynn’s Mitch Rapp series, gripping stuff

If anyone else wants to try it; go for American Assassin 1st, it was the 3rd title in the series but written as a prequel and explains a lot.

So what pulp fiction are you reading?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

game of thrones book 3: a something of swords

plot – some people on horses ride around, alternately killing and shagging each other.

richmtb

game of thrones book 3: a something of swords

plot – some people on horses ride around, alternately killing and shagging each other.

I’m on book four more of the same!

Its not exactly high brow but hard to put down all the same!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    alex222
    Free Member

Mr Nice

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t always read highbrow stuff.. Elmore Leonard is probably my favourite (maybe 2nd) author.
    Maximum Bob or Rum Punch.

Stuey01
    Free Member

After finishing the Reacher books I struggled to find anything else that kept me coming back but now I’ve discovered Vince Flynn’s Mitch Rapp series, gripping stuff

Coincidentally I’m also ploughing through the Mitch Rapp books. Just finished Memorial Day, which is the 7th if you include the prequels. American Assasin, then Kill Shot. Both prequels. Makes sense to read them first before getting into the original series with Transfer of Power.

Before these I went through Harlan Coben’s Myron Bolitar series, they were good.

jimster
    Free Member

Just started Wallander – Faceless Killers, but will be going back to Clive Cussler’s Isaac Bell series afterwards.

Look up Stephen Leather – Spider Shepherd series is brilliant.

fingerbike
    Free Member

Just about to finish ‘Do andriods dream of electric sheep’ – Philip K Dick, something I’ve been meaning to read for years, glad I did, and ‘We can remember it for you wholesale’ before that, great author, can see why so many of his books became films. Looking at ‘UBIK’ next.

andytherocketeer

Dracula – cos I’ve never read it (half way thru, but got sidetracked)
    Frankenstein is next in the ebook folder.

jota180
    Free Member

American Assasin, then Kill Shot. Both prequels. Makes sense to read them first before getting into the original series with Transfer of Power.

That’s exactly how I’ve done it – I’m reading Transfer of Power now

nicko74

Bear Grylls’s autobiography. I’m 80 pages in and already on chapter 27. As you can imagine, it’s not exactly War and Peace.

Then onto something altogether more enjoyable – Alastair Reynolds.

dobo
    Free Member

Currently listening to Altered Carbon, really like some parts but sometimes find myself drifting off. The whole idea of downloading into another body is genius.
    Also half way through ‘I am legend’ which is an easier read…
    I also have bought Ubik to read but not started that yet.

Murray

Listening to ex heroes. Zombie apocalypse with superheroes but surprisingly addictive.

boxfish
    Free Member

Man Plus by Frederik Pohl. 70s sci-fi at it’s not-very-best. Next on the list is Neal stephenson’s new one (Reamde)

Kato

I’m reading American Psycho

…it’s giving me all sorts of ideas

dobo
    Free Member

love that film, is it ok to say that? wouldnt mind reading the book if its good

rogerthecat
    Free Member

50 Shades of Grey – waiting to get to the bit where he makes the TV gaff that ends his career.

Also, The Cobra in the Garage – tales of barn find cars.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Game of thrones seems to get worse and worse as it progresses – the author needs a really good editor!! I have finally given up on it – I no longer care what happens 🙁

Diceman was a good read, now where are my dice??

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Noo noo noo Game of Thrones is ace, preferably reading one after the other. Can’t say I was a fantasy fan till I read them. Just finished Joe Abercrombies First Law trilogy and it was just as good though not as big or seemingly never ending. Itching to get to into the rest of his stuff.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Oh and no one does pulp better than James Ellroy! Start at Black Dahlia and finish with Bloods a Rover.

AD

Any Warhammer 40k sci fi from the black library – proper pulp fiction and a real guilty pleasure!

white101

have been reading the mark brannigan book on dave grohl, a life and the times rather than an biog. great book.
    +1 for james ellroy, great characters and narrative.
    Got a henning mankell on the shelf i like the books better than branagh on the tv.

samuri
    Free Member

REAMDE was fantastic. David Millar’s book was great too. Just reading 11.22.63 which started off very poorly I thought but grew on me. About 2/3 the way through it.

Stuey01
    Free Member

Oh and no one does pulp better than James Ellroy! Start at Black Dahlia and finish with Bloods a Rover.

Loved black dahlia.
    Love love loved american tabloid
    Loved a Cold 6 thousand
    Struggled to get into bloods a rover. 🙁
    Have put it down, will probably get back to it at some point

Kato

dobo – Member
    love that film, is it ok to say that? wouldnt mind reading the book if its good

The book is far superior. Read it and you’ll realise how sanitised the film is

TheFopster
    Free Member

Pulp fiction? There can only be Raymond Chandler. Robert B Parker when you run out as “next best thing”

trailmonkey

just finished max hastings’ ‘all hell let loose’.

reasonable read but far too much his story in the history.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

Charles Bukowski – Tales of Ordinary Madness

Dirty, low-life, drunk – marvelous

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Alternative Book Thread: Pulp Fiction, what you reading?’ is closed to new replies.