Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Alt Kit Guide For New Riders | How To Have Cheaper, Safer, Happier Bike Rides
  • miketually
    Free Member

Okay forum, suggest affordable but still good alternatives to these: https://singletrackworld.com/2020/11/kit-guide-for-new-riders-how-to-have-safer-happier-bike-rides/

miketually
    Free Member

Safety Gear Shopping List:
    A helmet – anything which fits well! I usually use Giro as they fit my head. Get whatever’s the cheapest in your LBS, or something super cheap from Planet X.
    Front and rear lights – I just got the Niterider 850 and it’s amazingly bright – https://www.wiggle.co.uk/niterider-lumina-micro-850-front-light and any red rear blinky light will be fine. It’s you’re only riding in the day, any cheap front blinky light will be fine.
    Phone wallet – freezer bag from all good supermarkets

IHN

A snack

A sandwich. Or whatever’s on offer in the cereal bar section of the supermarket.

Bike Cleaner
    Hot water with a bit of washing up liquid

Bike brushes

A washing up brush and some old rags

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DrP

My GF just picked up a lovely helmet from Decathlon..twenty quid, and looks like it should cost 5 times that.
    Also, decathlon lights look good too, but not actually used them!

DrP

matt_outandabout

Facebook bike groups – amazing how many folk buy lights, tools, tube, lock etc and then sell them as a big pile of “stuff”, often with barely used bike.

Same for jackets and pack – outdoor groups on Facebook often throw up some good stuff.

Baselayers – don’t believe the hype of cycling jerseys and branding. A good pair of long running shorts or baselayer from running brand is much cheaper, often better cut and better fabric.

ajt123
    Free Member

On One helmet pretty good value…

Waterproof shorts – British army surplus trousers, plus scissors…

Avoid expensive cleaning stuff like Muc off and Sh1tshifter. Car stuff much cheaper if you must. White spirit for cleaning the chain.

ajt123
    Free Member

Bike Sunglasses and Protection glasses are fashion wear in my view.

Can get decent eye protection from. Screw fix.

ajt123
    Free Member

Decent front and rear mudguards give a great return on investment…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Alt Kit Guide For New Riders | How To Have Cheaper, Safer, Happier Bike Rides’ is closed to new replies.